TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turbo project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hello everyone I just got finished building my turbo SS with some friends. The setup im running is megasquirt , vitara pistons , gt2860r and some other goodies ill show on some pictures later on. I have a quick question, i just starting running my car and driving it a little bit around and i was wondering if you guys can help me out a little bit and guide me . I notice that my engine gets really really hot like evreything gets hot, at the moment i dont have an oil radiator i dont know if that could be it ??? Also right now im still breaking in the engine so the tubro does have any pressure .. i wanted to know also from the other turbo guys if their engines get really hot also ?? Another thing i want to know is how much is the oil pressure u guys are readin on ur gauges ??? for example on idling i have 18psi and when driving around 3k rpm i have 40 psi or a little bit more , is this okay ????

Well ill wait for your response thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Turbo project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm 

What are you using as a guage for "really hot"? Factory temp guage or aftermarket w/real numbers on it? My factory guage coolant temp didn't rise at all when I turbo'd mine(I also don't have an oil cooler).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am 

Sorry about my "really really hot " lol i was checking with my megasquirt and on the tunerstudio the temperature is on 88C .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 am 
Main twit

88c is normal operating temperature.

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 am 

Oh i see so im just fine with that maybe i guess its my turbo manifold that makes the engine bay so hot. Anyone know about the oil pressure situation?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Oil pressure seems fine also. 18-45 is normal for those cars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm 

thanks for the reply guys , okay ill stay more calm with the oil situation. One more thing guys im breaking in the engine at the moment and i have done 400km or 250miles on the car already with the wastegate open , around what kms should be good to put the wastegate on ... is it better to break in the engine with the turbo on very low pressure or just leave it open and break the engine like that .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm 

I would just hook the wastegate up and avoid driving like a mutant.

Factory turbo cars get broken in under boost- so I have never read too much into that theory.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm 

thanks for the information guys.. quick question another one :drunk: i just connected the wastegate on the turbo and i lowered the spring so it doesnt boost that much . Now i started driving it and when i accelerate i get 1.5psi right nothing at all but my concern is that i get this surge noise when i let off the gas pedal. Another thing is that i do have a BOV and it seems that its not working ,i dont hear the bov sound at all and its brand new. What can be the cause of this? Another thing i have no boost controller or anything basically the turbo internal wastegate its going to the intake manifolds vacum hole and also i have a T that is connected to he BOV just some extra information .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm 

The noise you are describing matches your blowoff valve not functioning. That is the boost burping past / reversing the compressor wheel in your turbo.

Are you sure your line that you are t'ing off of is POST throttle body? I'm talking after the throttle body to intake manifold gasket..... A vacuum line ran from post throttle body to the blowoff is all that is needed. post a pic of your setup showing the vacuum lines if you would.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm 

i will take a picture tonight and show you how its connected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Here is the pictures :( i know that i need to buy clamps and new hoses i just didnt have time to lol im still breaking in the engine also . :roll:

:vibe:

http://img600.imageshack.us/i/bovz.jpg/
http://img233.imageshack.us/i/p1030916w.jpg/