TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm 

Long time away from the forum but here is the deal. I have a 89 GTi that is near completion. it was a block out rebuild that has ARP studs, MLS headgasket from strider, water intercooler and a whole bunch of other goodies.

My problem is that I have little to no space to mount the MAF before the turbo. Can I get away with mounting it near the throttle body or am I asking for bad readings? It would greatly simplify life if I could do this. Oh, for fuel I have rechipped the ecu with a garndi 185hp turbo chip.

Thanks!

video of build series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_Ytd3kIMU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 pm 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ran my Garndi chipped turbo setup for about 30k miles blowing through the maf in the stock location, and venting the bov to the atmosphere(no recirc) and it ran fine. Averaged about 33mpg and didn't stall once.... some people have the exact opposite results.

Before that I had it on the cold side as most suggest - and when I switched it to the hot side I didn't notice any difference in power or driveability.... when the MAF is pegged the MAF is pegged and you are running on the map on the chip anyway. Try it and see.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 pm 

I'm gonna expand this question a little. I will be attempting the MAF as close to stock area as possible after the turbo. My question is should the blowoff valve be before or after the MAF? Or does it not make a difference when thinking of the stress the MAF could go through?

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:49 pm 

mightbegiant wrote:
I'm gonna expand this question a little. I will be attempting the MAF as close to stock area as possible after the turbo. My question is should the blowoff valve be before or after the MAF? Or does it not make a difference when thinking of the stress the MAF could go through?

This is a situation I have considered my self, one advantage is just as you are asking. If the blow off is before maf , the air stays metered properly when they blow. If it is after the maf engine will go rich for a moment as air is wasted.

If the blow off is piped to recirculate as in a traditional set up. Maf on intake the air that would be wasted is not lost. When the blow off is vented (like mine) it does go rich when throttle is closed, pop off blows.

The real question is will the maf measure the air mass properly on pressure side of turbo?
I believe it should as it is a mass flow sensor.

The Suzuki maf is also quite small, on the intake of turbo i have thought the pressure drop this could reduce the turbos performance(regardless which one).

Those that run map sensors on manifold do not have this restriction and should run better.

Also if maf is on pressure side there should be more losses, which pushes the turbo into a different part of the map. This could be ok but maybe not.

Just some thing to think about.

2010 Equator White
2000 Solara convert

Last edited by wgotzman on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:46 am 

I'm going to put my maf after the turbo due to space restrictions and the fact that I don't want to extend the wires. If it runs like a bag of balls then I'll consider doing the modification necessary. I'll also make sure to post my experience.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)