TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ms 2 extra 3.57
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:09 pm 

Hey guys i was wondering if any of you may know when switching from the stock suzuki ignition system to a ford edis if you have to change anything in the ms. I know on the regular ms2 your soposed to jump a few wires and all. Im not sure if on the ms2 extra 3.57 if you need to. Any of you guys know that have switched. Thanks Stephen

Post subject: Re: ms 2 extra 3.57
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

since the edis needs a pip and saw signal, i'm pretty sure you need to re-work the megasquirt to accomodate edis. code was written to support the suzuki swift distributor wheel, the edis uses a 36-1 crank trigger.

it takes a different code to run the edis ignition, too.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 am 

Ok thanks. Running te edis last night we had spark and the computer was reciving signal but timing was real early. Im trying to find good diagrams now of the 3.57 board and a detailed explination. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:56 am 
Suzuki Elder

the 3.57 with it's surface mounted components is a different critter altogether. edis has it's own page in the ignition section of the mega manual.

the pip signal runs in as the tach signal and the saw signal runs back to the edis control module with the advance added by the megasquirt controls.

as i understand things, the edis doesn't work too well with a large boost turbo system because of the limitations of the advance on the edis. i've had guys tell me that the edis control module starts to run hot at large advance angles. it seems to work okay with normally aspirated and light boost applications.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 am 

Ya im gtting rid of the module and just doing it all through the ms. Hopefully have it running tomorow and hopefully in a few weeks get a good tune at the 21psi. Then most likely try to trigger the ebc by the ac button and run like12 psi with the ac button off and the 21psi with it on. We will see what happens though. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm 

Ok well i thought i had to do that mod but apperently when i bought it for the swift they already wired it for the pickup and two coil drivers. It just took awhile since the ms info is so confusingly put. Thanks for the help though. Stephen

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm 
Suzuki Elder

honestly, i did very complicated work in process control most of my life and became very good at absorbing documentation very quickly to move a job forward.

the megasquirt, i think by virtue of it evolving at the hands of many different people, has some of the most vague documentation you can imagine. some of it is written for dummies and some of it is written for expert electronics hobbyists.

it's also freakin' huge! single side printed paper for the mega manual yields a 2 1/2" stack. want the msextra manual? that's another stack around half that size. to get my controller together with hard copy documentation, no exaggeration, burned a ream of paper and filled 2 big 3 ring binders. if you read something one day and continue by it, then read something else the next day that triggers a thought of what you read the first day, it takes yet another day to find what you read first! seriously, i read everything over several months, again and again, and i still had questions.

eventually, with help from turbohull, sportage 4x4, and chense, i was able to wrap my mind around the newer megasquirt stuff. the original ms1 was easier because it didn't have the options, map size, or general computational power that's available now.

one other thing - everybody who understands what the hell is going on with the megasquirt seems to be named matt. =) except for tom. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 pm 

Sounds about right. I didnt realize the jumpers they were talking about were the little connectors that you just lift up and move onto the next set of pins. All the data was so confusing having to take it from 3 differnt places and try to paint a picture. Im not good with electronics my friend is really good and it took him about 4 hrs to get all the data together and sit down to mod it and then realized what exactly they meant and it was already done. We tried for about 2 hrs changing the settings all over back and forth from what we were told to set them as to get spark. I was messing around after he gave up and found under one of the the last tool bars on tunerstudio tacho output. Im like hey whats this went into it and im like hey this is off ill turn it on to js10 and see what happens. Then we got spark on 2 and 3. yay then we still didnt have spark on 1-4 no matter what we tried so traced it back to the computer and tested at the transister and still nothing so we are pretty sure its bad. He couldnt find his tester though. So he is replacing that and we are hoping it fixes the problem. I wish we could find a guru on the msextra that lived in lakeland that would come over and give us a hand. There is just way way to much info to go through. Plus i have a show sunday that i plan to take it to and already bought the $50 ticket to enter it. Wish me luck getting it there its an hour drive each way. So hopefully everything goes smooth and i can get a few days to drive it befor hand. Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

man, i would think that getting just a solid base tune would take more than a day.

you might also go through the mega tune software to make sure all your ignition settings are correct then save that file. run tuner studio and pull the first file up to start out.

did you register (and pay $40 for) the tuner studio application? registering it lights up all the special features and auto tune function.

i've had my own learning curve with the software but have a few guys who have helped keep me on the narrow path. :D there's nobody close to me who seems to know much about the megasquirt. at least you have very well documented swift data. there is squat out there about the 3 bangers.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:06 pm 

I actually have the tune that im trying to use for a base from my 1.3. I have the all same setup with the exception of the trans the 1.6 short block and the tooth wheel. So the fuel and timming table should be close i figure. 1.3 10:1 compression to 1.6 8.2 : 1 compression. I know they are different and i could run more timming but just for something to get 500 miles on it should work. And my buddy owes me a full dyno tune so once i hit 500miles its all his. And no i didnt pay. Thanks Stephen