TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:04 pm 

Decided to change this to my official build thread. It will be slow going over winter but I will keep it updated with new parts, pics, and thoughts when I get them.

Aaaaaanyways.... FREEBIES!!! DSM stock IC, 330cc injectors, 14b turbo. I have to give back the J pipe and IC piping, but oh well, to me this is a great score.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

Last edited by mightbegiant on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New (to me) Goodies.
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 pm 

Is this pile of goodies bound for your Gt?

If so, you are about to lower your 1/4 mile time 2+ seconds. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 pm 

airwerks wrote:
Is this pile of goodies bound for your Gt?

If so, you are about to lower your 1/4 mile time 2+ seconds. :D

You bet your sweet bippy! I'm still in the R&D stages but I think I can have a mild turbo setup by spring 2012. I'm determined now that I got the big stuff out of the way.

Last edited by mightbegiant on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:41 am 

how the hell u get that free?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 pm 

I've been a part of the DSM scene since 2006 so I have a few very helpful friends. These guys are throwing on Holset & Borg Warner turbos, tubular manifolds, 3" pipes, massive FMIC's, 660+cc injectors, etc. So they were nice and threw me the stuff they no longer needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:30 pm 

More bits.

It's a big 16g.

Now i'm up my own butt on the bolts, fittings, hoses and lengths of everything I need to get it installed properly. Any ideas or direction?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 am 

Thats a b compressor wheel. you sure those aren't 440 injectors? Iirc the auto 390 injectors were red.

(I've been into mitsu since 00. Just not dsms)

Those 1g side mounts are worth about 50 bucks to the 3000gt guys. Cut and reweld the pipes to fit and guys have gone deep into the 10s on them.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:19 am 

VR4 wrote:
Thats a b compressor wheel. you sure those aren't 440 injectors? Iirc the auto 390 injectors were red.

(I've been into mitsu since 00. Just not dsms)

Those 1g side mounts are worth about 50 bucks to the 3000gt guys. Cut and reweld the pipes to fit and guys have gone deep into the 10s on them.

I just looked up the stamp online and the 41 was mentioned to be 16g. Maybe someone swapped the inlet side? As for the injectors, they were free so I was just going on what the dude who gave me them said. And when it comes to the SMIC, I was thinking of installing it where the stock air box was, although I understand there's little airflow there. I'm looking to install it in a spot where the least amount of modification to the car or intercooler is involved.

Right now I have no idea what i'm going to do, but I guess things will come slowly but surely.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:26 am 

41 is a 14b for a galant vr4 iirc. That for sure is a b wheel though. Id go get you a pic of a g wheel but I dont have my tools to get the inlet pipes off my stealth...plus its raining :p

Google pics will have to do.

Either way...congrats on the free parts. Even a td04 9b would be sufficient for a stock internal g series. I'll be using one in my g16

This is a 16g

too many others to list

Last edited by VR4 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 am 

VR4 wrote:
41 is a 14b for a galant vr4 iirc. That for sure is a b wheel though. Id go get you a pic of a g wheel but I dont have my tools to get the inlet pipes off my stealth...plus its raining :p

Either way...congrats on the free parts.

Good to know. Yeah I checked out the pics of 16g blades, much much different. So I just need to figure out which turbo I want to use. I'll get someone to check them both out to see which one has less issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 am 

mightbegiant wrote:
VR4 wrote:

Either way...congrats on the free parts.

Good to know. Yeah I checked out the pics of 16g blades, much much different. So I just need to figure out which turbo I want to use. I'll get someone to check them both out to see which one has less issues.

14b are known for cracking around the wastegate hole so check there first. chra are pretty tough unless neglected.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:54 am 
Suzuki Elder

nick,

going back to whatheee's original junkyard gt turbo project, he mounted the i/c in front of the right front wheel. under the headlight, and behind the bumper.

you have the option of leaving out the right fog light which creates a nice hole for drafting air from the high pressure boundary of air that stacks up on the bumper directly to the i/c.

most of the pics of his original turbo gt were lost in server moves but he cut away the steel panel under the headlight and mounted the i/c there.

in the above pic the i/c would be mounted in place of the panel below the light where i mounted my a2w i/c circ pump, behind the wiring for the turn signal and fog light that's hanging down in front.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 am 

Well the good news is that I never had any intentions of putting the fog lights back in, so that should make for some decent space for the IC. Will the turn signal get in the way possibly? Also does the bumper have to be modified to fit over the IC?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 pm 

Got a manifold in the mail! Super mega huge thanks to FiveZigen for letting me pay in incriments to get it. One step closer to turbocharged goodness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 pm 

Just purchased an ARP SST exhaust manifold stud kit from Mopac in Calgary. Good price and helpful staff. When I go pick them up on Thursday, i'm gonna see if they have manifold to turbo bolts. If they do, i'll throw the turbo on the car and see how it currently fits... and take some pics!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm 

mightbegiant wrote:
Just purchased an ARP SST exhaust manifold stud kit from Mopac in Calgary. Good price and helpful staff. When I go pick them up on Thursday, i'm gonna see if they have manifold to turbo bolts. If they do, i'll throw the turbo on the car and see how it currently fits... and take some pics!

pics are always good. keep it comin!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 pm 

VR4 wrote:
you sure those aren't 440 injectors? Iirc the auto 390 injectors were red.

390's are grey. If you look at the side of the injector on the plastic plug you will find some letter's and numbers eg. B450L and on the other side a serial number. The injectors you have also look like denso injectors and if you stick those details into google you should find a match. I believe the number in this example is a basic flow sizing at 2.5 bar and "L" in example above is for low impedance (dont quote me on this, just what I could determine from my reseach - I have used 390's and now use the newer black topped versions of the 450's mentioned above). This can be useful when using an aftermarket computer (some, not all) as you can find the deadtime of the injectors. This will help build a better fuel table and help with fueling accuracy under varying voltage.

Here is a chart I found of various injector casting numbers.
http://www.lindertech.com/docs/inj_oem_casting_num.pdf

Here is a deadtime table someone has put together
http://injector-rehab.com/shop/lag.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am 

What does everyone think of Apexi SAFC Neo? I read that 3d mapping is better, but I have been offered a Neo for $100. I plan on running 10psi max until I figure out where I would want to go next in the process so I want to keep it "cheap" and simple.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 am 

I used it on my 3000gt to run a 12.4 on stock turbos. I like it as a cheap option. 100 is a good price.

Dont know how well it will work on a swift. If you get it and it ends up not working let me know. I sold mine last year when money was tight and need another one

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm 

VR4 wrote:
I used it on my 3000gt to run a 12.4 on stock turbos. I like it as a cheap option. 100 is a good price.

Dont know how well it will work on a swift. If you get it and it ends up not working let me know. I sold mine last year when money was tight and need another one

I'll keep in contacts with you, although I probably won't have a definitive answer until spring.

Went back to Mopac and ordered some manifold to turbo bolts and washers... kinda sucks that I have to wait upwards of a month to receive them. Oh well, good things are worth waiting for. I'll still try to get pics of everything when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 pm 

Got my delicious ARP bolts. Old vs. new:

ARP# 400-8013 - M8x1.25x45mm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:03 am 
Suzuki Elder

you even got a spare stud. :lol:

get another package of those for the intake manifold side and you'll have 2 spares. :wink:

the intake side is important, too. that's the side that is pressurized.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
you even got a spare stud. :lol:

get another package of those for the intake manifold side and you'll have 2 spares. :wink:

the intake side is important, too. that's the side that is pressurized.

Just sucks that it's $76.26 per set... although in the long run it could save a lot of money. I'll add it to the list of "things I need".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 pm 

stainless as nice as it is, is generally a no no with aluminum....on top of that 76$ could get you some mandrel bends or something of more use...id be hittin ace hardware and find some cad plated stuff for pennies on the dollar personally...no extra clamping strength needed for either side of the head...im no engineer, but the clamping load of stock fasteners greatly outweighs the opposing force of boost pressures, and component weight...think of a 200lb guy on one side of a swinging door and a hundred pound guy on the other...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 pm 

No Ace Hardware in Canada. That plus i'm still trying to figure out where cheaper alternatives lie for things like bolts/nuts/washers/studs. My buddy gave me pipe that goes off the outlet of the cold side so I have a place for the actuator to connect to. He also gave me an O2 housing and with a decent sized downpipe. Not even sure if I can use it since the manifold makes the turbo stick out. Also the downpipe is facing the wrong way based on how the turbo will sit in the engine bay (assuming the cold side will be facing the passenger side). I'll get pics when I care enough to stand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next