TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 am 

Nice results. Keep us posted. !

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:11 pm 

So now i'm officially confused. I installed the boost controller and set it to minimum. I took the car out for a quick spin only to boost to 14psi! It was pretty impressive but I really didn't want to do that. Now I have some anomalies with the engine.

First of all, the idle has smoothed out significantly. I had to set my SAFC up really high for idling because the AFR was over 17. When I got back from the pulls I was able to put my SAFC back to zero because the idle was smooth and maintaining mid 13s. Now the bad part is that there is a lot of (what appears to be) white smoke coming from the exhaust AND the breather filter. The car's exhaust sounds almost chunky now like I have cams installed. The sound from the engine itself doesn't sound any different.

So I guess the real question is... did I just blow my head gasket? Because I find it odd that the engine is running smoother despite the smoke and the strange exhaust idle sound.

EDIT AND UPDATE: Compression are as follows; 155, 150, 85, 90. Guess I be rebuilding the engine or just trying to fix what I killed.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:18 pm 

Some pictures of the head removed.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm 

Just noticed this thread. Awesome to see another boosted swift in Calgary! I too am rebuilding my setup for this summer due to a prematurely failed turbo based on my learning experience that was boosting it a few years ago...

When I first started running boost it wasn't long until I started getting white smoke. It would never blow white under boost but the second I would back off it would smokescreen the whole road. Turned out to be the head gasket and the strong vacuum conditions would draw coolant through.

Sorry if it was covered earlier but one thing I learned that might help save turbos is the oil feed. Mine needed to have a restrictor put on the feed line (1mm I believe) and my drain was a crappy path. Another big thing I did wrong was block off the PCV valve port (applies vacuum to crankcase during idle/de-accel) and just ran one thin 1/4 line to the turbo intake (between turbo and air filter.) This made it breath ok under boost but would blow blue when you back off. Crank case vacuum is the optimal way to help draw oil out of the turbo as pressure of any kind will push down on your oil in the pan and want to push oil back up the drain into the turbo.

My car is a little different though. Mine is a 2001 Swift (curvy Cami-automotive body) with the G13BB motor (16 valves but only one busy cam :P)

No matter how stressful it gets keep that car around. Breaks my heart when I see a GTI at the Pick-n-pull - although I have not been brave enough to buy one that hits the yard :P

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm 

varrien wrote:
Just noticed this thread. Awesome to see another boosted swift in Calgary! I too am rebuilding my setup for this summer due to a prematurely failed turbo based on my learning experience that was boosting it a few years ago...

When I first started running boost it wasn't long until I started getting white smoke. It would never blow white under boost but the second I would back off it would smokescreen the whole road. Turned out to be the head gasket and the strong vacuum conditions would draw coolant through.

Sorry if it was covered earlier but one thing I learned that might help save turbos is the oil feed. Mine needed to have a restrictor put on the feed line (1mm I believe) and my drain was a crappy path. Another big thing I did wrong was block off the PCV valve port (applies vacuum to crankcase during idle/de-accel) and just ran one thin 1/4 line to the turbo intake (between turbo and air filter.) This made it breath ok under boost but would blow blue when you back off. Crank case vacuum is the optimal way to help draw oil out of the turbo as pressure of any kind will push down on your oil in the pan and want to push oil back up the drain into the turbo.

My car is a little different though. Mine is a 2001 Swift (curvy Cami-automotive body) with the G13BB motor (16 valves but only one busy cam :P)

No matter how stressful it gets keep that car around. Breaks my heart when I see a GTI at the Pick-n-pull - although I have not been brave enough to buy one that hits the yard :P

Dude! We should meet up!

I found that I had smoke initially because I had my breather plumbed into the stock position. The boost pressure threw oil into the engine and right out the back. I let the breather dump to atmosphere after the catch can and that solved it. As for the oil feed, I'm running -3AN which is about as small as I could get it and -8AN return. People speculate my turbo failure was due to winter boosting and no turbo timer. Oh well lesson learned.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm 

Dismantled the head and organized the pieces so I won't be as confused when I put it all back together. Sooo glad this engine is so damn simple. I'm going to get the head cleaned and machined to make for a good seal when I get the new head gasket. Now I just have to wait for money to magically appear in my pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 am 

Just a quick update and I'll post some pics when I have a chance. I stopped in Kelowna to pick up a few things from a no_rust_vert. I picked up a powder coated valve cover, two engines, gt trans, gt front rake assembly, and some misc stuff.

My new plan is to make a complete engine from the two that I picked up and just run it at 10psi. I will take my time and build up my current engine to take around 14-16psi. This way I can drive the car and not rush it to get it back on the road. Although I doubt I can do anything for a while since I spent too much cash on my road trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 pm 

IT has been almost a year but I am finally wanting to get this car back on the road. My to do list is this now:

- Get MLS head gasket
- Get ARP stud kit
- Get all gaskets/seals for head
- get head skimmed
- clean block for fresh head gasket
- get new fuel lines to replace firewall to rail
- get new windshield
- get Sparco bucket mount plate fabbed
- get washers to make 450cc injectors fit properly
- swap out 4spd tranny for 5spd GT
- Try my damnest to deal with the small oil leaks everywhere

This will be a beast soon enough. Just a little time and more money :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 am 

mightbegiant wrote:
IT has been almost a year but I am finally wanting to get this car back on the road. My to do list is this now:

- Get MLS head gasket
- Get ARP stud kit
- Get all gaskets/seals for head
- get head skimmed
- clean block for fresh head gasket
- get new fuel lines to replace firewall to rail
- get new windshield
- get Sparco bucket mount plate fabbed
- get washers to make 450cc injectors fit properly
- swap out 4spd tranny for 5spd GT
- Try my damnest to deal with the small oil leaks everywhere

This will be a beast soon enough. Just a little time and more money :P

Good to hear you are back at it! I was starting to wonder what happened to your project...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 am 

Half of it was money, the other half was I started YouuTubing and decided to focus on fixing myself for a change. But now I'm ready to throw money at it again. I miss the angry gnat.

Www.youtube.com/MightBeGiant if you wanna see. It's a gaming channel so it won't be for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:36 am 

mightbegiant wrote:
Half of it was money, the other half was I started YouuTubing and decided to focus on fixing myself for a change. But now I'm ready to throw money at it again. I miss the angry gnat.

http://Www.youtube.com/MightBeGiant if you wanna see. It's a gaming channel so it won't be for everyone.

I used to be a hardcore gamer... until I got my drivers license :P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm 

Here are pics of some things lying around. Just waiting for the head gasket and thrust washers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:48 am 

Sorry about the lack of everything. I was hoping to have this all back together before winter, but at least I have pretty much everything needed to get this all back together. Here is everything until spring or I get enough money to send it all to CodyB to be rebuilt:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:13 am 

Glad to see you still at it! I have moved to Suzukis 4wd counterpart, but I like to lurk here occasionally for threads like this. Expecting to see a full follow through with this Nick. Cheers

-Jared

14 ford Mustang v6.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7