TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:36 pm 

Hey, I would humbly suggest installing a MSD BTM in conjunction with Apexi AFC. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

Forgot to post this pic. Took the Swift to the Crowsnest Pass for a show n shine. I wasn't very happy with the fact that everytime I tried to park in the staging areas for the s/s cars, I had to constantly assure people I was going to be in the show. Lucky for me there was a lot of positive commentary, a few snickers, and overheard one person mention the "R" word. I'd say my car is pretty far from ricer. Either way, i'm just plain surprised at the amount of people that come up to me and tell me how they used to own a Geo or its cousins at some point. It's a shame that they are all pass tense on owning them. Anyways, I ended up losing the import category to a 1971 convertible VW Super Bug. The competition wasn't much though; me, the super bug, a stock 90's 500CL, and I think one other random stock car.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm 

What a pain in the ass weekend. Spent most of it covered in oil. I've had some minor leaks with the remote oil filter lines and figured I would get that done before the weather started to turn since i'll most likely be driving the Swift in the winter.

I decided to replace two of my -AN fittings from straight to angled fittings to get rid of some clearance issues. I changed the fittings and teflon taped the filter fittings because there was a minor leak from there as well. I threw everything back together and immediately found out that the 37 degree fitting going into the filter was leaking pretty bad. I thought it was my issue, but quickly found out it was the fitting that wasn't seating properly for some reason. I was an idiot for driving the Swift to a boosted car meet with the leaking fitting. I just wanted to be there in the Swift instead of the Scion which caused the leak to pretty much spray over EVERYTHING in the engine bay. I had to go to Mopac on Saturday to get a new fitting and they said they would give me a refund on the faulty one. I installed the new fitting and solved that problem, but of course I wasn't done. I had a leak at the bypass on the engine and one of the fittings I teflon taped had already started to leak. I put the car back up on stands, emptied out as much of the oil as possible, and today I retaped every fitting that was leaking and put it all back together. From the looks of it, everything is finally secured.

Oh well, at least the oil pressure gauge is installed properly which means all my gauges are functional and no more leaks (hopefully). I'm going to knock on wood and cross my fingers and whatever other superstitious things I can do to keep the car gods on my side.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm 

Well, there won't be much new info on this project until spring since the snow is already falling in Calgary. Some stuff worth mentioning is, for one thing, the oil leaks are down to almost nothing but i'll still have to pull everything apart and reseal the plugs on the bypass fitting and the oil feed fitting coming out of the block since it seems to be collecting oil vapour. I also decided that the car will be my winter car! Nothing beats $50 studded winter tires. I just have to be careful when I turn left because I made the intercooler piping perfect for 165/65-13's and not 155/80-13's. I have all of an inch and a bit of suspension play before the tire will rub on the silicone pipe coming off the intercooler. OH well, it helps me drive more civilized which in turn gets me better fuel economy. I guess the only thing i'm worried about is the stress on the engine when I do a cold start with the oil filter relocated. When its cold it has to work harder to push the oil through the -AN lines back to the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm 

Kick it down to 5w30

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 pm 

VR4 wrote:
Kick it down to 5w30

That's all I've been running since I turbo'd it. It takes about a minute for things to smooth out when it's cold so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm 

I'll post a little update since winter is in full swing. The lowest temperature I have started the car so far has been -13c. The good news is that it starts very easily and it only takes about 30-45 seconds of idling to get the oil flowing properly. In that first bit of time the idle is low and the car is a little clunky and rough sounding, but it goes away and the idle jumps up about 600rpm when it's ready to go. I have also decided to run Petro Canada's new Ultra94 gas to see if it helps with anything. I've been averaging about 30USMPG since installing my studded winter tires which isn't bad, but those figures have been on FasGas premium which I have had people say they have lost significant economy using it.

Anyways, the only issue i have experienced since the cold and snow has rolled in was my accessory belt was slipping hardcore. I managed to move the alternator back almost an inch when I tightened the belt. I also managed to blow my main fuse doing so by touching my all metal socket wrench to the power line and firewall at the same time. That was slightly traumatic for me.

BTW here's some random instgram photos because i was bored.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 pm 

Is it me or the plug-wire on cyl no.1 already started to fall apart?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm 

jankoelbola wrote:
Is it me or the plug-wire on cyl no.1 already started to fall apart?

I received it that way. Got the wires off an eBay seller that was mentioned on team swift. I would have had it replaced but I would have had to return that one wire and get a new one shipped to me. I didn't care that much so it's being held tight with a blue zip tie. Honestly I don't mind since the damage is superfluous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 pm 

^^^ that's cool, just wanted to check on that; as you are the guinea pig on this one :P . BTW did you check the wires on both ends for resistance-readings... vs the stock wires? Maybe that could help as a comparison.

Last edited by elbola on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm 

jankoelbola wrote:
^^^ that's cool, just wanted to check on that; as you are the guinea on this one :P . BTW did you check the wires on both ends for resistance-readings... vs the stock wires? Maybe that could help as a comparison.

Honestly I mainly got them for their value and look. Also I'm pretty sure the wires I had were probably as old as the engine. If I ever hit up codyb76's place in the near future ill get him to take a look.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 am 

Small update. So far the car has had no issue with even the coldest weather. Also, i'm going to have to replace a chunk of my silicone pipe in the wheel well with aluminum since I never anticipated the 80 profile tires are so high that i'm rubbing a hole in the silicone.

Anyways, the car is still running well, has no issues with the cold, and still goes like stink. I had to throw 80lbs of free weights into the back of the car so I would actually keep traction in the rear. Kinda fun being able to drift a FWD without the e-brake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 pm 

Another small update. Yesterday I drove the car just under 650km. I used 3/4 tank of gas and managed 320ish km in the process. I also managed a few 180+km/h pulls with no issue. Bare in mind that this was all done with only 4th gear. My afr stays below 11 doing full boost pulls and goes between high 10 and low 13 cruising. All that without a formal tune which is quite surprising. I can't wait to get a tranny with a 5th gear and my summer tires back on to see just what the car is capable of. But that will be a little while away.

Also worth mentioning, the reason I took the car that far was my buddy bought an LHD 1992 MR2 turbo from Edmonton. It was probably just a little over stock hp with just upgraded intake and exhaust, aftermarket bov, boost controller, turbo timer, 18" Tenzo rims and a moulded body kit. He decided to do a 4th gear pull and I had no problem keeping up to him. So that was interesting. Come summer I will definitely hit up Castrol speedway for their Street Legals to see if my Dynolicious run was in the ballpark. I honestly believe that, with a proper drag strip and warm tires, the Swift can hit 60mph at 6 seconds and do a low 14 second 1/4.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am 

Hey look at that oil dripping out of my tailpipe.... oh shit.

So I just paid $500 for new summer rims for my car and two day later the oil seal on the turbo decides to go. My winter daily driver is back to parked project car. It isn't all bad though since I have a dude scouting for a new 14b for me. Hopefully he is successful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm 

Boring update. I haven't driven it since the oil started leaking. At this point I have a dude who is willing to rebuild my turbo for me, so when I get the cash i'll most likely do that. I was asking around on options for alternatives to the TD05H 14b from a DSM. The main problem I have is that the turbo will need to be either the exact same size as the 14b or smaller since I literally have 3mm of space between the wastegate actuator and unibody.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm 

13b off auto DSM. Or 9b of vr4 but that's much smaller. 13 is smaller than 14 but not by too much.

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 pm 

So now that spring might finally start, I am going back to brainstorming to get my Swift back in shape for summer. I am going to do one of three possible options for the turbo issue: buy another used 15b, buy a rebuild kit and have a dude rebuild it, or buy a used EvoIII 16g. That was in order of cost. Next I need a different oil catch can. I found out the hard way that it leaks out of the oil level fittings... kinda makes sense since I only paid $25 for it. I'll invest in a better one for sure, either that or find a way to seal the fittings better. From there I have a shwack of options ranging from really cheap to rrrrather expensive. Manual boost controller, turbo timer, ARP head studs, new head/valve cover gaskets, PAINTING MY VALVE COVER, getting a working 5speed tranny, buying back my Konig rims that I had to sell after the turbo shit the bed. I'm sure there's more but i'm not really allowed right now to think of new and interesting ways to spend my money until my wife gets a new job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 pm 

Pulled the turbo today. Found oil on both sides. I'm gonna swap out the turbo for the other one I have when I get a chance to clean everything up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 pm 

I had a spare turbo lying around, so I took the hot and cold sides off the bad one and put them on it. Fixed some of the fittings that I stripped, teflon taped a few fittings that were leaking a little, and threw everything back together. All I need to do is get some new oil in the engine and start it up to see if there's any oil leaks I need to address. I get a lot done when i'm motivated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm 

Some pictures. I'm really starting to regret driving the Swift in the winter. Everything looks ugly because of the wet and salt. I'm hoping I can clean the crap out of my engine bay since its covered in a mixture of oil from the turbo and road salt because Calgary sucks for that. I'm probably going to replace my turbo coolant lines and see if there's anything that can clean my silicone coolant hoses because they look terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am 

The swift is back together and boosting again. I replaced the oil filter bypass gasket with a much beefier one from the oil filter I just took off. Fit like a dream so I think I have that leak under control. I'm still seeing a drip from somewhere but I wasn't in the mood to jack the car up again. I'm hoping its just the oil that I spilled on everything when I had to drain it to get the bypass off but I doubt it's that convenient. Never isof course. Either way the oil leaks are almost completely gone. Of course I won't be able to take it to drags until late June, but I am glad I managed to get everything back together and working properly. I really hate oil lines now. Should have just went with simple lines instead of expensive -AN lines.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm 

Two quick things and then a question if people are monitoring this thread. There is still a leak at the filter bypass and i'm pretty sure it's because of the amount I have to torque the bypass to get it to the right location for the oil lines to not touch the exhaust. So because of that i'm attempting to see if running some stop leak will deal with the issue. Otherwise I think i'll be taking it somewhere that can possibly permanently attach the stupid thing to keep it from leaking again.

Next, the coolant hose that connects to the firewall decided to end its life. So I guess that was the best bad thing to happen since its about as easy of a fix as possible.

Now the question; what should my ignition timing be set to? I haven't touched it and I know that the engine would greatly benefit from changing it. At the very least, whats a good range for the timing to be set?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

on the timing, what are your afrs running? if you have the ability to fuel correctly you could wind the timing up a bit.

in the real world you wouldn't change the static timing or base timing. instead you would make timing adjustments in the ignition mapping to suit engine rpm and engine load. without a tunable stand alone i would be very cautious in just twisting the distributor to add advance. i'd probably just set it to the factory spec for n/a operation and take whatever curve the distributor and ignition mapping gave me.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 pm 

My afr while driving is mid 13s and boosting it stays under 12.5. I have the SAFC so I can adjust fuel a fair bit if needed.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 pm 

I has a Turbosmart manual boost controller now. I'm not going over 10psi until I get ARP head studs and a new head and valve cover gasket. I'm pushing 135hp on 8psi so I think 150 is a reasonable number for 10psi. Can't wait til I get back from my trip so I can register and insure the car again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next