TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 am 

Got different answers from different people so was wondering how much boost were YOU running when you blew your 2wd GTi gearbox

Guy told me he constantly grenaded the differential and broke 3rd gear on 7lbs whereas other told me when turbo'ed he kept blowing diffs and when started breaking 3rd gear on 15psi upwards...Another told me he ran 10lbs with welded diff pins and never had any problems

Share your experience
Kind of like a Poll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 pm 

I know a guy who ran 18psi and never broke a single GT box

another friend managed to break a 3rd gear at around 12psi.

I think it all depends on what kind of turbo you have. one of my friends at www.clubsuzukiquebec.com has an engine that can instantly destroy a 3rd gear. the way his turbo spools, if he loads the gear no problem. if he shifts at redline, no problem again. but if he shortshifts before redline AND under boost, he gets about 10psi at around 4000 where normally there would be almost no boost. that's just too much for that weak 3rd gear. he broke at least 6 like that. 2 of them I was sitting in the car. both times it's exactly the same scenario. in his case, I think if he ran MORE boost it could cure his problem if he could just make the tires unhook in 3rd. right now they're on the limit of traction. but that would be scary =) it's already scarier than a rollercoaster :lol:

I myself broke a final drive gear with my 3 banger with about 16psi. see why I say it pretty much depends on the car?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 pm 

turbohull wrote:
I know a guy who ran 18psi and never broke a single GT box

another friend managed to break a 3rd gear at around 12psi.

I think it all depends on what kind of turbo you have. one of my friends at http://www.clubsuzukiquebec.com has an engine that can instantly destroy a 3rd gear. the way his turbo spools, if he loads the gear no problem. if he shifts at redline, no problem again. but if he shortshifts before redline AND under boost, he gets about 10psi at around 4000 where normally there would be almost no boost. that's just too much for that weak 3rd gear. he broke at least 6 like that. 2 of them I was sitting in the car. both times it's exactly the same scenario. in his case, I think if he ran MORE boost it could cure his problem if he could just make the tires unhook in 3rd. right now they're on the limit of traction. but that would be scary =) it's already scarier than a rollercoaster :lol:

I myself broke a final drive gear with my 3 banger with about 16psi. see why I say it pretty much depends on the car?

Well I was looking more at 10psi max on 9-9.5:1 compression

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Since when do you need boost to blow GT gearboxes? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:29 am 
Teamswift Racer

Put 17's on your swift and drive like an idiot and you are sure to break your box with zero boost :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 am 

I broke a GTi box already when I first bought the car :oops: , but it was diff/final drive failure which can be rectified by a lsd....The third gear problems I hear about is what I'm really concerned about

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:00 am 
Teamswift Racer

Well run a swift sedan g16fwd box then if you are that worried.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm 

I mostly only did roll-ons with mine, drag raced it 2 or 3 times, and never power shifted.

Ate input shaft bearings at about 20k miles (6lbs) and lunched the differential at 40k miles (10 lbs at that point).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm 

The stock grearbox even breaks with the stock 100hp... talk about turbo :roll:

With a turbo, the box will start breaking MORE OFTEN. Usual fuses to avoid FREQUENT gearbox damage are a)traction and b)clutch. Decent traction and a stronger clutch will break your stock GB in a matter of a few passes.

Some good mod to start with, is to weld the differential shaft, as it usually likes to go out looking for fresh air.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm 

Caaarlo wrote:
The stock grearbox even breaks with the stock 100hp... talk about turbo :roll:

With a turbo, the box will start breaking MORE OFTEN. Usual fuses to avoid FREQUENT gearbox damage are a)traction and b)clutch. Decent traction and a stronger clutch will break your stock GB in a matter of a few passes.

Some good mod to start with, is to weld the differential shaft, as it usually likes to go out looking for fresh air.

From what people have mentioned, they are pretty sure my diff went when I was driving my car home from work a few weeks ago. All my mods are is a stronger clutch, Toms II chip, CAI, and sport header. Now i'm down $60 from a tow and a tranny. Blargh.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:31 am 

Just throwing questions out there. Anyone ever thought of using 3rd gear from another vehicle like the samurai etc? :huh:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

Ran 7 lbs of blow from 116,000 to 145,000 miles. @ 135,000, I burned up the countershaft bearing.... 50 bucks at Suzuki. Then I rebuilt the motor and bumped the boost up to 18 psi and ran another 12,000 miles before tearing down for Awd. Other than 1 bearing, mine werked well. :blackeye:

AHM NOT AN AHSOE!!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN AHSOE!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 am 

sirspinalotgti wrote:
Ran 7 lbs of blow from 116,000 to 145,000 miles. @ 135,000, I burned up the countershaft bearing.... 50 bucks at Suzuki. Then I rebuilt the motor and bumped the boost up to 18 psi and ran another 12,000 miles before tearing down for Awd. Other than 1 bearing, mine werked well. :blackeye:

All this on a gti gearbox?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 am 

DeTune wrote:
sirspinalotgti wrote:

All this on a gti gearbox?

Affirmative. Yezzir.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 am 

That's also burning thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd on a regular basis while twisting Motegi 16x7 wheels; w/ 205/40/16. I always ran a synthetic blend oil in the gearbox tho... that may have contributed to it. :? I dunno. Right up until I pulled it out. The only difference between yours and mine is my wrecked gt donor car was a California emissions EGR car; but all the gt'swere built in the same plant in japan weren't they? :?: I wouldn't think that would make a difference....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 am 

sirspinalotgti wrote:
That's also burning thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd on a regular basis while twisting Motegi 16x7 wheels; w/ 205/40/16. I always ran a synthetic blend oil in the gearbox tho... that may have contributed to it. :? I dunno. Right up until I pulled it out. The only difference between yours and mine is my wrecked gt donor car was a California emissions EGR car; but all the gt'swere built in the same plant in japan weren't they? :?: I wouldn't think that would make a difference....

Wow alloottt of different experiences out there