TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 am 

Hi guys.

Does anyone have some good tip for a Camshaft sensor setup?
I am tosing the dizzy for space problems. (useing the G13B gti engine in a classic mini)

I might be intersted in buying a kit if possible.
If i need to make on my self some picture would be great for ideas and part no. For easy sourcing.

I have read throuw threads here but cant really find what im am after.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you don't say what engine management system you plan on using.

here's what i did for my megasquirt using hall effect devices. i mounted a uni-polar hall effect device in a position on my valve cover's flange that corresponds with the travel of a "flying" magnet mounted into the camshafts outer edge.

i used an aftermarket adjustable cam gear, a single gear from the twincam engine, with a 1/8" x 1/2" neodymium magnet epoxied into a hole i machined into a tooth. the offset of the hall effect sensor and the offset of the magnet installation coincides with the zero degree point on the cam gear (offset by about 30 degrees counter clockwise from cam tdc.)

i used a hall effect type gear tooth sensor to detect teeth from a trigger wheel that has 35 teeth and and a 36th position with a missing tooth (36-1.)

i found some cool hall effect conditioning boards that have pins for supply voltage at 5 volts dc, a ground, and a conditioned signal for the engine managements system's timing input. i removed the hall effect device from the board and tied the bigger industrial hed sensors to the solder pads. then i built a little aluminum box to hold the electronics.

the hole for the distributor just got blanked off with an aluminum cover.

i used three ignitors from a swift gt to convert three separate channels of ignition signals to drive coil on plug type coils.

don't be confused by my pictures, my project was a turbo3 g10t engine. the concept is very easily transferred to a twincam g13 dohc 16v application.

i had some extra parts that were left over from my experimentation but i recently sold those. i only kept what i needed for my 2 similar engines (which is why some pics show the black engine and some show the blue engine. :wink: )

personally, i like the more invisible appearance of my control set over the cam angle sensors that replace the distributor. also, when i looked into swapping one of the cam angle sensors shown above, the business end of the g10 and g13 camshafts have a different arrangement, incompatible with the cam angle sensors i found. the other thing was that my engine management system only uses one pulse per revolution from the cam sensor and not 2 like the oem suzuki controls.

as far as the crank's trigger wheel, the resolution achieved from the 36-1 trigger wheel is better than the oem suzuki trigger wheel that sacrifices tooth positions for the big flat areas. the 36-1 trigger has a tooth every 10 degrees of crank rotation.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 pm 

Hi.

Thanks for this info. Allot for me to use.
I have actually read your thread but can't remember seeing these picture.

Where did you get the magnet from?

I am useing the Motec M4 ECU. This is to Controll a
EDIS coilpack found on Ford's.
My crankshaft setup is the same like yours with a custom trigger wheel
screwed onto the buttom pulley I have converted to a single pulley.

Thanks again for your detailed explanation I think others might like to.