TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm 

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forced induction and also the the suzuki 3 cyl. I have pretty good canyon pass that I have to pull each day on my way to work and I'm thinking of going turbo. I source a T3 from a buddy off of an '89 Dodge daytona, it's got a .42 A/R compressor housing and a .48 A/R exhaust, I've gotta measure the compressor wheel to figure out my trim as the guy wasn't sure.

I'm mainly wondering if 5-7 psi is okay on a stock engine and what mods other than the CTS I should be doing. I'm going to change out the oil filter for a bigger ph8a to get a little bit bigger volume and possibly run an oil cooler such as thishttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15830/ inline with the oil feed line to try and keep the temps low, also been told the 1.3l swift radiator will increase my coolant capacity a little and drop the engine temps, an then a front mount inter cooler as well.

Also does anyone know of a good source for a used swift 3 cylinder turbo exhaust manifold???? Thank you for entertaining my ignorance and please feel free to tell me I am crazy if I actually am. I'm open to constructive criticism as long as there is a valid reason and solution presented for it.

Last edited by 1969honda on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: T3 on '98 1.0l 5 spd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 pm 

OK, so it looks like I'm running a 50 trim from the measurements on my compressor wheel. Please help me out here guys, I can run the turbo as is for now (very little play, bearings look good) but I'm going to do bearing/rebuild kit if everything looks like it should work out for my desired boost level and application.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 pm 

Sounds ok to me..maybe a bit laggy but that 1.0 should light it off id imagine..fueling it will be the challenge but search the turbo 3s section and start readin..lots of archieved info here..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 pm 

thanks for the input, my other option would be to rebuild the two T3's I have and try an AMR 500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:50 am 

the stock engine will handle a lot of boost as long as you can come up with decent fuel management. any turbo will lag on a 1.0L it's not that dramatic. you will have to fab your exhaust manifold. I don't think it would be worthwhilw to adapt the stock turbo manifold to anything other than a stock turbo. it's a very small 3 bolt flange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm 

Cool, thanks for the input turbohull, I was actually looking at it again this morning and I think'll remove my A/C system :huh: ;then I should have plenty of room to mount the turbo right off the front of a custom made manifold. It'll be a little tight but looking at the space and measurements I think I can make it work and still possibly run an intercooler. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm 

It'll probably lag like crazy. This is a turbo off a 2.2 that also had a slight amount of lag.

Go ahead and try it. My personal recommendation would be find a 98+ 1.3 5 speed. Less work. Less likely for a catastrophic failure.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:06 pm 

I had the same trim T3 on a GT(for about a month before I switched back to the RHB5) and it didn't reach full boost till after 5k rpm. For an even smaller motor I would look for a different turbo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:16 pm 

Yeah, since hearing that the T3 lags on the 2.2 it came off of :shock: I have started to look for a different trim. I've got high tech turbo looking in to what they can find that will be better suited for my needs. I'm also open to doing the rebuild kit and balance and trading for something else if it's in the same condtion as the one I have.

Would a 60 trim bring the boost point down lower in the rpm range or am I dependent on the A/R of the hot side to change my boost point? I've been reading so many different articles I've confused myself. Thanks again for the help and input.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm 

I would abandon the T3 entirely..... go do some reading in the T3 section on this forum to get some better ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 am 

Ok, so I think I'm stuck with my T3 for the time being, but that may not be a bad thing. I've got both of my T3s torn down, 1 is a carbon seal and the other is a dynamic seal. I'm still having trouble connecting with Dave from High Tech Turbo here in Utah, however I did find a 1.3l flywheel and order an excedy clutch this weekend.

I'm really thinking about switching my 50 trim wheel for a 40 trim wheel, is there anything else I should be switching with the compressor? Here's a link to the different wheels, and what a 40 trim compressor map looks like http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/graph.php?version=4&pr0=1&pr1=1.08&pr2=1.53&pr3=1.99&pr4=1.99&pr5=1.99&pr6=1.99&pr7=1.99&airflow0=0.9&airflow1=1.5&airflow2=5.8&airflow3=12.2&airflow4=11.4&airflow5=10.2&airflow6=13&airflow7=15.3&product_id=75 (disregard the red markings, I'm still researching the peak power numbers for the NA G10 and what the rpm limits are, but if it takes 1 lb of air to make 10hp then the 10lb/min rate looks like a safe bet for a 40 trim wheel.

Am I crazy to go to a 40 trim? It should make the boost come on at a much lower RPM than the 50 trim right??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am 

The problem you will have is the turbine side. Its just too big for a 1.0

I personally don't have any experience with a turbo in an engine that small but i have quite a few turbo cars. you won't make anything usable with a turbo that size. If you insist on using it you will be climbing the pass at 4k or higher in 3rd.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am 

Ok, well that settles the turbo idea then, I'll save my pennies and see if I can peddle off the T3's to get a different turbo or the AMR500 setup. I might also be able to get my hands on a TD025 off of a diesel but I think that'd boost quick and then flatten out really quick when I hit the throttle above 3-3500 rpms. :?

I'll keep doing my research while I build the T3's and go from there, thanks everyone for your input and experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm 

depending on the wheels but generally, yes. the td025 will be a bit on the small side for a 1.0 gas. td03 would be perfect and td04 if you want some headroom.

various wheels available in both. a single td04 with custom wheels are capable of 400hp. a stock 3000gt td04 9b will do about 160 to the wheels maxed out. (rough guess. a good condition and well tuned VR4 will do about 320-330 at the wheels on a good day) maybe a bit more depending on the day.

too many others to list