TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

i am mocking up my eaton m62 supercharger on my extra g10/5 spd car. i am going to rebuild the parts engine after mockup and get it running in the parts car with a megasquirt II. i just got the charger yesterday so no progress yet. i am going to get a 3tech head and turbo cam package. i plan to use the stock bonneville tb with the gm iac, tps, cts, iat, waste gate, and boost control solenoid. i would like to use 3 ls1 coils because i have several sets of them lying around. i am going to use the ms II for boost control as well as fuel and ignition. i also want to run a gm knock sensor with timing retard. i want to use a t3 head with sequential multi point injection. i am keeping my a/c. i am too old to go without it in florida.

i have a few questions

what options do i really need in the ms?

will the msII do realtime wideband based fuel trim?

what trigger wheel should i be looking at?

where to get a ceramic coated header with 02 sensor bung? not suzuki r&d im told.....

realistically, id like to run between 10 and 15 psi. i would appreciate any good info you may have to share as i go through the next few months gathering parts, building ms, and mocking up charger mounts, intake, etc.

i am going to get the exhaust done in the daily driver first. i will run the new engine in the extra car to work out the bugs. the car is kept in a very rural area and there is no pavement. i am going to make a skid pan for the oil pan area and have some rally style fun with it. someone pray for the poor little 12's. i will swap it to the daily driver after im sure its not going to come apart :mrgreen:

im also in the middle of a gti brake swap and urethane filling my stock motor mounts. i picked up the gti swap parts from chris (rallyswift) parting out his rally car. he is awesome, dont hesitate to buy something from him. i was trying to dial in the suspension and alignment. now that ive taken off the front sway bar and its really close, im going to put suspension dialing off until the rest of the mods are done. dont want to waste too much time only to change it again later.

since this car is my wifes daily driver, i cant wait to see her face the first time she drives it under pressure....... :lol:

Last edited by dethbrd on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

man, you gots lotsa' questions. :lol:

i recommend these guys for your megasquirt needs.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php

i recommend that you start trying to absorb this as much as you can.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html#ms2
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... ersion.htm

for the type of tuning you want to do i would suggest that you use a wide band controller with a gauge so that you can monitor the afr as well as use it's outputs to provide the o2 signal for the megasquirt.

the next thing i would suggest that you come to grips with is the injector mode you want to run. i found that batch fire injection wasn't very easy to deal with while running 3 coils. to get the injection and ignition together doing that requires that you run a 6 cylinder "spoof" code that's a pain in the ass to tune with. my second turbo3 engine was megasquirt sequential injection prepared from the start.

to do that you need to have a sensor to report the camshaft angle and a crankshaft counter wheel. i would invite you to review my thread to get an idea of how i worked through my boosted megasquirt project. it's a clickable link in my sig line at the bottom of this post.

here's a guy who make knock sensors easy to work with megasquirt.
http://www.viatrack.ca/

here's a guy who makes sequential injection and direct ignition easy.
http://jbperf.com/

here's the tuning software you'll want to run.
http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio

i'll try to help you as much as i can. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

were did you go? :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 am 

I think you scared him off.

Ken....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Suzuki Elder

he might be busy reading. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 am 

na.....aint skeered

as rich knows all too well now.....i am just using the pm function :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am 

my wife and kids decided the supercharged metro wasnt high on their list of x-mas gifts so this is slower going than i originally thought.

i also got a f@ckin 300 dollar ticket for illegal window tint driving through a sh!thole called ashburn georgia on I75 over the christmas break. assh@ole city cop sitting on side of interstate lookin for out of state plates to harass. pulled over the guy in the metro(me) for "dark tint". measured it at 21%. 25 is legal where i am and i suspect the tint is 25% and the factory windows account for the other 4 or so %. regardless, geogia state law is 32%....so you cant use 30......and he decided to write me(out of state driver) a local equipment violation ticket, knowing that i would probably not drive back to contest it. the fine is 300 bucks. its 300 bucks to hire a lawyer in ashburn to get it thrown out. what a racket this jerkwater town has going here. the fine is going to mean no megasquirt for 2 more months at least. oh ya....did i mention the cops tahoe had limo tint on it???? should have done a citizens arrest on his ass for endangering the public and vandalizing public property.....

i have a g10t 3-tech head and cam package on the way with perf cam, ss valves, and +6 gear. also scored some mk1 turbo pistons from mike.....thanks

i got a set of gt rods and another gt flywheel. i am having the flywheel skeletonized and recut for a 4.5" dual disc racing clutch. i have not purchased the clutch yet (900$) but i got the tech drawing from manufacturer and its in the hands of the machinist now.

i have not yet fitted the front gt brakes, but i plan to do it this weekend. i got the last seal this week and some superblue brake fluid so everything is ready to go in the car.

i think by the time i get this done, rich will be tired of hearing from me..... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm 

you could probably write a letter to the judge explaining that the tint is legal where your vehicle is registered.

look up the law. they usually state the FILM is limited to xx% so you will have 25% +/- 5% or so.

IIRC (its been a while since i was a state inspector in hawaii) the law was 35%+/- 4% to account for window glass.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:26 pm 

i found a reasonable nice lady working in the courthouse there and explained to her that the ticket was probably more then the book value of my poor ride and that the tint was legal where i lived so it was kind of silly for them to write me a ticket. she said send her pics of car with no tint and she would dismiss it. i said ok, and planned a day trip to the place where my parts car is stored to rob the glass out of it for installation into my car to take pics for her. when i realized i forgot to get her email address(duh), i called her back the next day before leaving on said trip to get it, and she acted like she had never talked to me, and she said she cant do anything with it because its been converted "n2ahwarnt" she had a very thick georgia drawl. needless to say i started to freak out because i still had plenty of time before it was "failure to appear" or pay it. her attitude was very strange to me and i just could not believe she was acting like she didnt know what i was talking about, and that i had a warrant now. she couldnt understand why i was upset and kept calling me hunny. after what seemed like 20 mins....i realized she was saying that she had converted the ticket to a warning.....no fees involved, and she no longer even wanted the photos for proof of tint removal. man did i feel stupid. but at least one thing finally went my way for a change.

needless to say nothing else has gone my way with my project car here. i have the machine work done on the block, i have the pistons, pins, rods, flywheel, crank, and 3tech head package. i have yet to find a shop to balance the rotating assy, i havent gotten anywhere with my cnc guy on the pulleys(he's too busy for me now), and i cant afford the clutch i am buying for the car yet. the wifes rottie is dying of cancer and i have almost 6000 dollars in chemo costs for that, and my son who has gone out on his own to do his own thing keeps asking for money.....

i have made significant progress on a custom adjustable short throw shifter and almost ready to take pics of the install and write up a thread about it and offer it for sale if anyone cares to have one. its not the next product i wanted to make available but mine was so worn out i had to do it now.

i have talked to rich and mike quite a bit and i have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done with the engine, compression, timing and electronics. i just dont have the money to buy the parts yet. it will get done, its just going to take longer than i thought.....normal i guess.

i have decided it has to be intercooled. i have done the math on the pulley sizes and supercharger volume/output at "x" rpms. with a 4.5" crank pulley, i think the supercharger is capable of 36 psi at 9000 engine rpms on this motor. i should be able to intercool it, run 15 to 20 psi, and be fairly reliable with zero lag....full boost whenever throttle is moved. unfortunately...i cant see the supercharger fitting under the hood with a blow thru air to air intercooler. i think im going to have to cut a hole in the hood and let it stick out like an old school hotrod until i can graft some type of cowl hood scoop over it. so much for my sleeper look. i still need to find a turbo 3 banger intake to hold my fuel rail and to put a vband on to hook the intercooler pipe to.

basically the engine project is stalled until the dogs chemo treatments are over unless i can design, market and sell some of my ideas for metro parts. hopefully, some of you guys will like my shifter and buy one. i think strut tops are next on the design list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm 

As much as I would like a short shifter.....I can already out shift my trans :(

too many others to list

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 am 

lol......me too. it just makes it so nice and tight.....and keeps you from having to row the damn thing so much. i dont think it s gonna make anyones lap times go down.