TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 am 

Im looking for a cheap way to turbo up my firefly, id prefer to not have to pull the engine for another one. Im not to smart in this area and was looking for a little pointers/tips to help me get started on my modification project.
personally id like to squeeze every ounce of HP out of the engine without melting it down.

Im an idiot when it comes to mechanics, so help me learn something! thanks

Ongoing projects:
'91 firefly(non-turbo) teardown and rebuild
Will document for those interested

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 am 

The computer doesn't deal with anymore than 3psi. Internals are more than adequate for that. 3psi and cam from 3tech and you'll be pleased with the extra push.

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm 

thanks

Ongoing projects:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm 

Research what turbo to use, and buy it. When you get that, build a turbo manifold. By the time you get that done, you should have learned enough that you'll feel more comfortable doing with the project and you can ask questions on here.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm 

There's a firefly turbo in the Okanagon area for sale over in the for sale section for $1000. The path of least resistance is to buy that car, or something similar, and swap in its drivetrain.

Why? Because then at least you're starting with multipoint injection that's meant to handle boost, forged internals, turbocharger oiling provisions, etc. The wiring is nearly plug and play other than the three wires for the ignitor, and it all bolts right in as long as you're starting with a 3 cylinder 5 speed car. If the stock turbo setup doesn't make you happy, it's still easier to upgrade from there than from an n/a car.

I just finished this up on my convertible with an all stock turbo firefly drivetrain, and I'm very happy with it. It's very torquey at low rpm, and makes it very fun to drive. And lots of options to upgrade later when I get bored with it.

Honorable mention: 61 ford falcon money pit, 90 5.0 Lincoln LSC coupe with emotional attachment, supercharged teal 99 F150 for carrying firefly parts, and a black turbo volvo wagon with a dog gate to use every day.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 pm 

well, since ur an Idiot Mechanic (we all start there, :wink: ) probly the best idea is to buy a turbo motor. its the safest idea, anyways, motor wise.

as for pulling the motor, the motor minus the transmission only weighs in the 125 pound reagion give or take. a couple of three strong friends and you can lift it out.
next time i pull a motor from a geo, im just building a 2x4 frame and using a cheapie winch from Harbor Freight. figure 300 lbs max for the engine and transmission.

at any rate, dont be afraid of this motor. its just a souped up lawnmower engine.

i personally like the idea of a performance 3 cyl motor. not done very often. (stock turbo excluded)\

now if ur set in using the stock motor, learn to weld, SMAW would be the hard way, and wire feed would be the easyer way. either way, harbor freight has a workable welding set for under 200 usd. it a very usefull skill.

like superfly said, find a turbo that will work for you and get it (read turbo selection. lot of math and reading, but it WILL pay off in the end)

youll also need some kind of fuel management, ur car is EFI right? no carb. megasquirt I is a good, fuel only stand alone system and has a huge user base, many geo metros im sure. 200 range or so, then you'll need some time to tune. just go slow and you'll be okay.

i ran a sprint with cat, resenator and no muffler. added a muffler yesterday. now very slow. moral of the story, delete the muffler and you'll go a little faster. gut the cat (assuming its legal in ur area :wink:) and its a bit more.
lear to weld, and u can run custom exhaust there.

what ever u do, get a cam from 3tech. figure out at what rpm u drive most, then talk to 3tech.

-vernon wasser-

88 sprint, 4dr sold :(
87 turbo 2dr, never ran :( :(
86 sprint, 2dr current DD! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 am 

First of all,thanks for all the replies

As for now Im in search for a cheap Turbo block that might be in my area, and I guess ordering a 3tech head is obviously a must at some point.... Unfortunately my current pay causes slow productions. Now my next question would be, which do you think would preform better, A turbo or a supercharger? is there any difference performance-wise? I'm hoping to achieve some nice low-end power, so I figured a SC would be best as it uses the pulley system rather than the exaust, but would it give a semi-instant boost (around 1.5-2 rpm)?

Ongoing projects:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 am 

Turbo. Won't effect mileage. And easier to do

14 ford Mustang v6.