TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Breather Oil Blowby?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 pm 

I should have asked this a while ago. I know the pressure in the valve cover can be pretty high, and I would assume that it gets worse with a turbo application. I took my car on a 600km road trip. A few days after that I opened the hood and noticed my catch can was filled with about 200ml of light brown oil... and another 50ml that drained out of it onto the tranny from the fitting that shows the level the can is at.

My questions are, is this amount of blowby normal after a few 200km/h passes? Also, is there a way to stop this from happening again?

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

Post subject: Re: Breather Oil Blowby?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 pm 

mightbegiant wrote:
I should have asked this a while ago. I know the pressure in the valve cover can be pretty high, and I would assume that it gets worse with a turbo application. I took my car on a 600km road trip. A few days after that I opened the hood and noticed my catch can was filled with about 200ml of light brown oil... and another 50ml that drained out of it onto the tranny from the fitting that shows the level the can is at.

My questions are, is this amount of blowby normal after a few 200km/h passes? Also, is there a way to stop this from happening again?

I don't have a lot of experience with a turbo'd swift engine. I recently put a turbo on my 1.3 8v and just ran the breather from the valve cover straight down behind the tranny with no catch can so I can't be sure how much oil I am losing. I check my dipstick periodically and can't notice a decline in oil level. I have a friend with a turbo'd vw bug and he has some elaborate system with check valves and a catch can that drains back into the oil pan when no positive crankcase pressure is present, such as when the engine is off. I work with a lot of cummins turbo diesel engines at my job and I can tell you they fill up those catch cans quickly, about every 300 hours of run time. I don't know if the amount you are dealing with is normal or not and the only 2 things I can think of that cause excessive crankcase pressure is worn out piston rings and/or worn out valve guides and seats which will allow cylinder pressure to bleed off into the valve cover/crankcase more quickly. I have heard of people running their pcv to the suction side of the turbo intake which would end up burning any blowby oil in the combustion chamber but it seems to me that would gunk up the turbo and intake after a while.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

Oil directed back to the intake will increase the chances of detonation, pinging and knock as it has a much lower octane than fuel. Not a good idea on a performance application, OK on a shopping trolly though.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm 

ABI wrote:
Oil directed back to the intake will increase the chances of detonation, pinging and knock as it has a much lower octane than fuel. Not a good idea on a performance application, OK on a shopping trolly though.

Ah... Glad I passed up that option then.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:42 am 

Is there something like a check valve that could be put between the catch can and intake that would complete the vacuum line at idle or regular driving and shut under boost? If there is would that be a viable option to keep my engine rpm smooth and stop oil being thrown into the intake?

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)