TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am 

I like where you are going with your sc idea. Seems you got some thought into this. I'm thinking of buying another G10 motor to play with so I have a spare motor if I roast one.

I was thinking centrifugal as an easy mount thing. But a lot of people keep swaying me toward roots type. Not sure what's going to be cheaper in the long run? Maybe posting a price list of things needed would be a good idea. To help others understand the cost involved.

Let us know how your project is running. I'm quite interested.

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:06 pm 

my car was starting to smoke and shake, so i pulled the extra motor from the parts car, did a complete gasket refresh on it, and put it in my car with a lightened gti flywheel and new clutch. i am using my original engine and another gti flywheel for the supercharger build.

price is the second biggest factor in my decision i would say. centrifugal chargers are cool, but waaaaay too expensive. cool factor is the first thing i am going for, there are plenty of turbo g10's around, even here in the states. i have yet to see a roots blown g10 metro. thats why i am doing it. everyone says no way...so i am doing it. i have run into budget problems, but i will get it done eventually. i think i will get it running in the parts car with a megasquirt, then swap it all in after i think i have worked out most of the bugs.

i got my eaton m62 at the local junkyard for 79 bucks, with all the fittings, tees, lines, solenoid, and throttle body. they charged me tax and a frickin core. stupid. but it was still less than 100 bucks. i had a good choice between many different models, i got a 62 with a short snout for obvious reasons. i took the nose apart and made sure everything was good in there, that the parts had no wear to speak of and spun freely. there is absolutely no way to get a centrifugal charger anywhere near that price.

then theres the question of lower boost at lower speed with the cent. type charger.... i just like the roots type better. only draw back is the size of the m62. its as big as the g10 block practically. they do make that m45, but price comes back into that one for me...... too expensive. i have been unable to find a supercharged merc in any of my 3 local yards that have fixed prices for parts. if they ever got an m45, i could get it for the same 100 bucks or so. theres also an m24. most would say, the right size for the g10, but good luck finding one of those. i dont even know anyone who has ever seen or touched one. they are evidently on several non-us spec models of fords and some others i forget. festiva or fiesta i think is one of the ford models.....in south america.

so far, it looks like the best plan for me is to get a g10t intake manifold less the throttle body, modify it so it still holds the fuel rail to the head but is as short as possible vertically, weld a v-band clamp on it, and mount the m62 right on top of it, as close as possible, sitting on its side, so i can have access to the bottom of the m62 for mounting and to collect the boost into a pipe to run it to the front of the car and put it thru an air to air intercooler. i can use the a/c belt to drive it with some ingenuity involved. biggest problem i see is i dont think its going to fit under the hood the way i want to mount it. i am hoping to use the stock throttle body thats on the supercharger, although it is too big for this engine. it has all the sensors with it i would need to run the megasquirt. i think i may need to find a smaller tb from a different gm engine that has what i need for driveability sake. i hear its hard to make a boosted, megasquirted g10 idle with too big of a throttle body. maybe a catera or a cobalt, i havent looked at anything else yet.

so my parts list so far and as close as i can remember :

running and driving, rust free parts car 500

supercharger and throttle body 100

nice used GTI con rods 50

3 tech turbo head perf package with +6 gear,
head bolts, stainless valves, very nice used
g10t pistons and wrist pins, head and cam
core allowance, exchange rate losses, and
all shipping involved @775

good quality stone hone for cylinders 30

used gti flywheel before any lightening/machine
work (not the one thats currently in my car) 50

stainless steel header from geometro forum 300

modification of aforementioned header 100

so im at roughly 1900 so far and have a whole extra car to rob stuff from if need be.

the clutch i want is about 750, the machine work for the crank is looking like its going to be in the 500 dollar range with bearings and flywheel mods. and gaskets and oil pump another 250. the megasquirt will undoubtedly be 500 by the time its setup and functional with all the sensors and triggers i still need. i robbed a stainless steel 4" supertrapp off of one of my other cars, but that was almost 300 new. i figure another 200 for custom exhaust system to hook my parts together. a stock g10t intake??? who knows......

so i am looking at about another 2000 bucks to finish my project i think. i may have forgotten a few things though. obviously, it could be done for much less. you could save 650 on the clutch. use the stock exhaust, not buy an extra car, just swap some g10t pistons and pins into your motor with gti rods and new head bolts. and maybe be in it less than 1000?

i will keep track of my expenses and keep you posted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:22 pm 

Quote:

Ouch! That's pricey. But I guess you get what you pay for. Still searching around town to find someone willing to make me a header for my hemi head 1.0L

If I can get someone to make it I'd be a happy kid. But I would like to have the exhaust and intake done at the same time. So I can figure exhaust size. I figure 2" aught to do but I got to do the math.

I feel I may just have to dig thru some junk yards to find a SC. Every where I've looked they are well over budget seeing as I could buy a used car for as much as they want for these things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm 

bigbadmonster wrote:
Quote:

Ouch! That's pricey. But I guess you get what you pay for. Still searching around town to find someone willing to make me a header for my hemi head 1.0L

If I can get someone to make it I'd be a happy kid. But I would like to have the exhaust and intake done at the same time. So I can figure exhaust size. I figure 2" aught to do but I got to do the math.

I feel I may just have to dig thru some junk yards to find a SC. Every where I've looked they are well over budget seeing as I could buy a used car for as much as they want for these things.

may seem like a lot of money.....actually a very good deal. try to find a good set of turbo pistons for that price anywhere......try to get a turbo head in the u.s......after you figure in getting raped by ups for shipping and a little for exchange rate loss..... its a great deal. but of course, I wish it had been 200 bucks....lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm 

how would suzuki vitara pistions stand up against the T3 pistions in a boost application?

-vernon wasser-

88 sprint, 4dr sold :(
87 turbo 2dr, never ran :( :(
86 sprint, 2dr current DD! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 pm 

personally, i dont know anything about those pistons. i do know they are not designed for turbo applications so they are not going to be low compression. i guess it depends on alot of things, like what head gaskets you can get, how much boost you are going to run, and if you are going to inter or after cool your setup, pump or race gas?, megasquirt?, etc. i am planning to run up to 25 psi with an aftercooler/intercooler setup so for me, i doubt that i could get those pistons setup in my motor at a low enough comp ratio to keep it together for long on pump gas. with the right rods, you could do it, but that would be stupid money and by using the vitara pistons, i am assuming you are trying to save money to begin with. i am shooting for 8:1 on my motor, but i havent done the research on head gaskets, compressed volumes, combustion chamber volume, piston dish, etc, so i really dont know where i will be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm 

Viartsa pistons are 76mm I think. What are the stock size of the 3 banger piston? Anyway I agree if it isn't a piston designed to take the abuse it most likely wont work.

I am talking to a guy to see how much it would be to get a spacer made for the 3 cyl engine. I'm not sure of the distance tho? How tall to make it to lower the compression. 1/16 of an in? less? IDK?

Also which system for cooling the air would be better? air to air or air water?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:00 pm 

i think air to air would be much better on this motor since its already hard to cool it with the crappy waterpump and the tiny radiator.

on the spacer, i didnt do the math yet but it would be fairly large to get the drop you would need. i dont think it would be worth it or necessarily reliable.

i am a small block chevy guy, so i dont know the combustion chamber volumes, common head gasket compression thicknesses, piston dish volumes, stroke, or bore sizes for these motors. i know how to do the math, but havent looked up the figures for this particular engine yet. i never thought i would be doing anything but throwing valves, rings, or bearings at one of these things. or just buy a running car and swap in the motor and trans.

i just figured it was faster and easier to buy a set of turbo pistons than to try to rig something else in there. from what i hear, they are good for more boost than you would want to put to them, in excess of 25 psi or higher, as long as you are intercooled and have the correct timing and fuel ratio...... but that should go without saying at this point.

i am just hoping i can get 150 horsepower out of this thing by the time im done. im not really trying to save money by piecing the engine together with parts from other cars, if i was trying to save a ton of money, i would blow the whole thing off i suppose. i figure i saved enough already by getting the supercharger for cheap and by owning this car for 17 years. she deserves some love at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 pm 

dethbrd wrote:
i think air to air would be much better on this motor since its already hard to cool it with the crappy waterpump and the tiny radiator.

on the spacer, i didnt do the math yet but it would be fairly large to get the drop you would need. i dont think it would be worth it or necessarily reliable.

i am a small block chevy guy, so i dont know the combustion chamber volumes, common head gasket compression thicknesses, piston dish volumes, stroke, or bore sizes for these motors. i know how to do the math, but havent looked up the figures for this particular engine yet. i never thought i would be doing anything but throwing valves, rings, or bearings at one of these things. or just buy a running car and swap in the motor and trans.

i just figured it was faster and easier to buy a set of turbo pistons than to try to rig something else in there. from what i hear, they are good for more boost than you would want to put to them, in excess of 25 psi or higher, as long as you are intercooled and have the correct timing and fuel ratio...... but that should go without saying at this point.

i am just hoping i can get 150 horsepower out of this thing by the time im done. im not really trying to save money by piecing the engine together with parts from other cars, if i was trying to save a ton of money, i would blow the whole thing off i suppose. i figure i saved enough already by getting the supercharger for cheap and by owning this car for 17 years. she deserves some love at this point.

I feel ya. I mean with the money you'd spend you could get another car or two and probably have one with more HP. :lol:

I think it would be fun to do. And well, fun cost money.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 pm 

Ok so the dream isn't quite dead for super charging a G10 (MK1) I just cam across an Aisin AMR500 supercharger. It's a lil bugger. Quite small indeed. And way cheaper than most centrifugal super chargers I've come across. Also found a neat video of one running on a 1.0L Alto: http://youtu.be/jpZzZZOW9JI

Seems like a pretty simple setup in the vid. There is also a website that gives you some info on the small superchargers: http://superchargersunlimited.com/specs.html

I think this will be the route I'm going to take in the future. Running at like 10 psi or so should be safe for an MK1 right? :?:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 pm 

bigbadmonster wrote:
Ok so the dream isn't quite dead for super charging a G10 (MK1) I just cam across an Aisin AMR500 supercharger. It's a lil bugger. Quite small indeed. And way cheaper than most centrifugal super chargers I've come across. Also found a neat video of one running on a 1.0L Alto: http://youtu.be/jpZzZZOW9JI

Seems like a pretty simple setup in the vid. There is also a website that gives you some info on the small superchargers: http://superchargersunlimited.com/specs.html

I think this will be the route I'm going to take in the future. Running at like 10 psi or so should be safe for an MK1 right? :?:

Is that the one they were selling on Facebook?
10 PSI is not a lot, the stock twin cam engine can take it, you just have to make sure you have a good management if you want it to be reliable.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:01 pm 

jankoelbola wrote:
bigbadmonster wrote:

Is that the one they were selling on Facebook?
10 PSI is not a lot, the stock twin cam engine can take it, you just have to make sure you have a good management if you want it to be reliable.

The G10 from what I am to understand can't really take a serious amount of boost without a piston upgrade. Hence the turbo g10 using different pistons and rods. Also I hear that the G10 can take about 15psi. It's a small engine and I think too much boost would send a rod out the oil pan. =) So safely running 10-15psi. The AMR500 came on the Nissan march which was supercharged and turbo charged. I also have seen a few bikes running the AMR300. Anyway, a little boost out of the 3 banger Should go a long way. I've thought about doing the 1.3L conversion. But sourcing parts and labor involved just seems too expensive for my low budget.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm 

ive seen those before. i think its just too small to be worth the effort and the 1000 dollar price tag. it has a 30 ci output per rev. and it has a max rpm of 12000. it just seems too small to go thru all the trouble and expense. you can get an eaton m45 from the salvage for 75 bucks if you are lucky. 45 ci per rev output and much higher max rpm of 16000.

assuming you run the engine to 8000 rpms, with stock bore and stroke and valve sizes.....and drive the amr500 blower to its max at 12000 rpms..... it will not put out enough air to make 15 psi. just a quick calculation. its close to 8000 and 15 psi though. it would probably do 10 psi just fine, but again, you would be running it right at its max rpm. i like the m45's output better.

i have yet to find a good one at my local yards tho...plenty of m62s and m90s around.

still looking as my cnc guy disappeared on me and i bought a mini cooper s, so im screwing around with that now.

id like to upgrade the blower on the mini and then fit that m45 to the metro.

also.....since you are looking for other superchargers, eaton makes an m24 that was put on some fords and other stuff down in mexico/central/south america.

i have seen one for sale for 500 on the old web. its very comparable to the amr500 but maybe find one cheaper?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:09 pm 

Been looking into different ones. Amr500 is just one. Also other JDM aisin superchargers. The price plus shipping is like $300 used for a AMR500. Not to shabby if you ask me. By far the cheapest actual SC I have found. That being said there is a lot of other parts involved in SC a G10.

Edit: just noticed you were from FL. I was born and raised in St.Pete/Tampa

Anyway 10psi sounds ok seeing as most of these superchargers came off Kei cars in japan where displacement of engines there is like 600cc. I hear they run these sc on motorcycles with 1000cc+ engines. So a 993cc should be able to handle 10psi max output. Just looking for a cheap power upgrade. Anything I can do to get little bits of power is cool with me. Tackling the weber conversion ATM

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:47 pm 

http://www.kemotorsport.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 pm 

bigbadmonster wrote:

The G10 from what I am to understand can't really take a serious amount of boost without a piston upgrade. Hence the turbo g10 using different pistons and rods.

Stock G10 pistons and rods will take 15 psi all day long as long as you time and fuel it right.

Clark is building one with a AMR500

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5302216/1/

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 pm 

bigbadmonster wrote:
Been looking into different ones. Amr500 is just one. Also other JDM aisin superchargers. The price plus shipping is like $300 used for a AMR500. Not to shabby if you ask me. By far the cheapest actual SC I have found. That being said there is a lot of other parts involved in SC a G10.

Edit: just noticed you were from FL. I was born and raised in St.Pete/Tampa

Anyway 10psi sounds ok seeing as most of these superchargers came off Kei cars in japan where displacement of engines there is like 600cc. I hear they run these sc on motorcycles with 1000cc+ engines. So a 993cc should be able to handle 10psi max output. Just looking for a cheap power upgrade. Anything I can do to get little bits of power is cool with me. Tackling the weber conversion ATM

ya, im in largo/pinellas park area. i grew up in tornado alley.....lol

i have seen several liter jap bikes with the amr500 at our local bike night and at daytona. i can see where it would increase the torque at low rpms buy a trainload since they dont make any torque, but i still dont see it putting out enough air to do much good in that app. and since the bike probably spins more rpms than the supercharger is good for...you would need to drive it at less than a 1:1 ratio...like .75 or something. i didnt ask anybody with a sc'ed bike i saw if they built the motor or if it was still 12:1 compression or how much boost they were running.

if i had found an amr500 for 300 before i really got into building my new low compression engine, i would have jumped on it. 500 is the cheapest i saw, and it was on ebay still being bid up.

Last edited by dethbrd on Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 am 

http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=52910

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm 

Funny thing is AU seems to be flooded with the damned things. AMR crazy over there or they just get 'em dirt cheap? I got a quote from kemotorsports. With shipping for a used one is $320ish. Also would need a V belt pulley. So around $350 or so. Not to mention plumbing. Still not a bad deal on super charger if you ask me. I will be looking into that build on Geoforum.

Working on a set up for a blow thru weber. Need to find somewhere that sells Plastic floats. As the brass will crush. Still waiting on my damn jet kit from an ebay seller. Been almost a month now and no jet kit. Plus narrowing down a FPR to handle boost. Been working my butt off 7 days a week hasn't given me time to spend the money I am making. LOL

For the budget minded tho. I think an AMR500 wouldn't be a bad route.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm 

it would certainly be easier than any other supercharger i have seen so far and much faster than a stock 1.0

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 pm 

wish i had that money problem....not enough time to spend it....lol

i just ran into another setback on my project. another member here is parting his 94 gt and he is literally a block away from me. gonna be broke for awhile

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:47 pm 

I hear ya. You see a metro or sprint or anything like that for sale. You are like...how much and how fast can I get it here. :shock: :lol:
Anyway. Even tho I am working 7 days a week my money is pretty much spoken for before I even see it. :roll: Wish I had too much money :)

I'm thinking once I get my exhaust and car in it'll be time for a 3tech cam and a SC. Still got a lil ways to go till I get the time and money for all this.