TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 pm 

I was taking to my friend tonight who's all about turbo, and us a e30 gen BMW enthusiast and loved them because you can slap a 15 psi turbo onto a stock engine without doing anything to it.
He was asking me about my g13b and if you need to modify the engine to turbo it? I didn't know, so now I want to.
So what are the bare minimums to turbo besides a standalone computer for our Swifts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

The compression is a little high, but if you fuel and time it properly, they'll take it no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm 

I ran 10psi for 30k miles with nothing more than an ecu chip mapped for boost.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:28 am 

Ran small turbo (TB23 off a 300ZX) for about 20 thousand K's on 7 psi on chip (would also take standard unleaded fuel in that format). Upgraded turbo to GT25554 for about 50K with 11psi with aftermarket ECU all on standard engine. Ultimately I topped out at 13psi before the bug bit a little harder and went to a built engine for 20+psi.

There are guys in Australia I know who have run up to 15psi with standard engine and aftermarket ECU.

As commented getting fuel and timing right is important and highly recommend an efficient intercooler (small one is fine).

Minimum would be for me a small turbo, chip, small intercooler for around 6-10psi (depends on how big turbo is) will net you maybe 90-100kW at wheels, aftermarket ECU for more boost.

Realise that gearbox will very quickly become an issue. Should look at heavyduty clutch and mechanical sympathy in driving style. Potentially should consider an aftermarket fuel pump (dyno car to see if standard is flowing enough fuel). I dont recommend FPR without upgraded fuel pump as higher pressure can reduce fuel flow at top end and lean out too much.

The step from a chipped small turbo setup to a higher boost setup is a big one. Engine is probably lesser of limiting factors as you start to need to look at injectors, drive train etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 pm 

I have a td05h 14b at 8psi and I have yet to have any fuel issues with stock ecu and a turbo3 fuel pump. Check out my build thread if you want to see what all I've gone theough.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)