TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 pm 

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help running intercooler piping on my next project car. I don't really feel like blowing $15-20 per silicone coupling this time around, but at the same time, I don't wanna get too cheap and run Home Depot PVC/ABS equipment that will degrade over time/heat/pressure. That's just unsafe for high boost applications. I plan to recycle the OEM piping from the car to make some couplings, but I think I will probably need more to finish running the front mount.

As such, I've concluded that my best bet is to find some bendable 2.0" universal coolant hose, rubber tubing, or something that can handle boost and intake air temperature pipe heat.

One option I considered was finding some big turbo diesel trucks and stealing their intercooler/radiator hoses. Only problem is that there aren't any locally to me, and without seeing them before purchasing the hoses, I won't know if they're the right size and shape that I need. That could also end up being pricey. I suppose Rock Auto clearance rad hose might work if I can find some in the right size.

I've also exhausted capable options locally for new hose. I tried a few local auto shops, an industrial supply store or two, and even the local hose/pipe experts. All they had for me was either too small in diameter or too firm to bend safely - further, it wasn't equipment that could handle the heat of an engine bay unfortunately.

Straight piping is easy... I can get 6061 aluminum or some cheap hot-rolled steel piping from the local metal mart and cut and file it myself. For clamps, they sell bulk packs of t-bolt or worm gear clamps both locally and on Ebay as well so that's no problem either. It's just the hose itself that is proving to be an issue. If my local yards weren't such criminals in their pricing and swift to shred/crush anything I could use, I'd consider looking there instead.

Anybody with any leads or recommendations?

Cheers,

A

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 pm 

I've used exhaust tubing and rad hose before. Check your local wreckers for different sizes of rad hose.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

Ebay is your friend its like 150 shipped for intercooler, plumbing, couplers, and tclamps. Thanks stephen

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm 

CX Racing is the company I used for my Ic piping kit. Good price and everything I needed.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CXRacing-2-Turbo ... 5890479164

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 pm 

If I needed bent aluminum piping, Ebay would definitely be the way to go. But I'm going to source my straight piping either from a steel supplier locally or an exhaust shop. I went looking far and wide across the web for the standard pricing cost of a 2.0" silicone elbow, and came up with $15-43 a pop. That's not quite good enough and I think I can do better.

I made some drawings of my intercooler piping plan using photos from other cars, and have determined that I will need about 7-8 90* bends and 4-5 straight couplers. I'm opting for 2.0" diameter piping because it matches my intercooler and I'm running a small engine. I'm of course assuming that my TB, turbo inlet, turbo outlet, and VAF are all that size because I haven't been able to pick up the car yet.

Using factory supply sites (basically China-link), I found the following deals:

On DHGate.com, I can get a ten pack of elbows and one straight meter for $128.85 shipped.
On AliExpress.com, I can get the same deal for $126.66 shipped.

Either way, my unit cost (divide both by 12-13) isn't much more than $10 a piece shipped. That's pretty good if you ask me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:30 pm 

All I used is rad hoses. I found in the size I needed with the bends I needed. If I had to cut it to make and angle work I just used ext pipe. Remember. Most rad hoses are designed to run an 16 psi. And that's just normal operating pressure. They can handel much more. If I get a chance I will take a pic of my 91 with front mount intercooler

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"