TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 pm 

Right, Added a suzukird light weight flywheel to my gti turbo and have noticed a great diffrence in engine perfomance! It's very rapid now! but the power band on it has shortend alot and top end speed has gone down. (running a t25 turbo on 10psi) Before with stock fly boost would kick in at 4500rpm and go all the way to 8000rpm. If in fifth crusing at 60-70mph and put foot down, it would pick up like mad till the top of speedo 140mph!

Now, when I replaced the fly I started to get boost creep bad! so fitted 38mm external waste gate and alls well! But ! Like I said before the power band on engine has shortend! boost kicks in at 4500rpm power drops of as you hit 6500rpm> revs alot after that with not much pick up in speed. Aswell my top speed has reduced to about 120mph will do 130mph but takes a wile to get there! Engine condition spot on compression everything,runs well and gets to 120mph fast.

Confused because I thought a lightend flywheel would increase the top speed :?

Anyway my qeuston is, what would be the best way to increase tourqe and top speed?
I do have a 60mm throttle body to install that might help, but would a diffrent choice of turbo make any diffrence? set at 10psi )

I need top speed :P :P so scoobys and honda's dont dust me! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i think that there's such a thing as a flywheel being too light. :wink:

i lighten them but it matters where you remove the weight as much as how much weight is removed. following the lead of our brothers down under, i used 3 different shops to knock out these flywheels.

i find them to be light enough that they markedly improve throttle response without be so light that they inhibit engine performance. also, they are cast steel so they are as stable as the oem flywheel and they aren't likely to warp or wear abnormally.

it cost me somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3rds of the cost of an aluminum flywheel (which is the root of your problem.)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm 

I doubt his problem has anything to do with the flywheel.

FW weight shouldn't affect horsepower, torque, or top end performance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i think that there's such a thing as a flywheel being too light. :wink:

i lighten them but it matters where you remove the weight as much as how much weight is removed. following the lead of our brothers down under, i used 3 different shops to knock out these flywheels.

i find them to be light enough that they markedly improve throttle response without be so light that they inhibit engine performance. also, they are cast steel so they are as stable as the oem flywheel and they aren't likely to warp or wear abnormally.

it cost me somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3rds of the cost of an aluminum flywheel (which is the root of your problem.)

Yes mate I think its to light! I would like one of those worked steel flywheels?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 pm 

sounds more like a boost leak or something, check your plenum, vacuum hoses ect connectors maybe you forgot?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:18 pm 

suprf1y wrote:

Lightend flywheels d
Devil-GTi wrote:
sounds more like a boost leak or something, check your plenum, vacuum hoses ect connectors maybe you forgot?
o decrease tourqe mate, but should increase horsepower :?

I'm sure I have no air leaks but I will double check, The cars not slow by any means. it just dosent have that fource full feel when I flaw it. Before it would put me back in my seat even in fifth and pick up to top of speedo! Now i have to change gear really quick and engine revs like a bitch.

T3 ragtop, those flywheels look perfect mate! any chance I can buy 1?

sent you a pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 pm 

suprf1y wrote:

Agreed. Lightened flywheels don't do a damn thing for HP or torque. They DO make it more difficult to launch thanks to lower rotational inertia to help get the car moving.

You have another problem. Cam timing would be the first place I look.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

Hi,

I got mine done like that when I used live in Gloucester.

Here is a link of my flywheel. t3, that looks familiar!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17068&hilit=lightened+flywheel

A Lightened flywheel will not increase performance in BHP or Torque.
It's physics. The momentum is carried by flywheel to help idle better.

If you check G10 3 pot flywheel, they are very heavy. This will improve smooth idle.

Top speed is Bhp, so you must have lower Bhp after fitting waste gate!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm 

chopperswift wrote:
boost kicks in at 4500rpm power drops of as you hit 6500rpm> revs alot after that with not much pick up in speed.

sounds like a slipping clutch to me, the motor revs higher, but car doesn't go much faster?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

NO not clutch or flywheel.

Its somthing to do with tune cause when throttle qaurter down it picks up faster than when fully open?

TPS or fuel i think , need it setup on rolling road.

Just installed a new GT2871r bb turbo :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

If it is like you say, quarter gas = oke, then to me it sounds like your ignition is malfunctioning. Gap the sparkplugs, check the cables rotorhat and rotor and the coil.

Do us have a wideband AFR kit in the car? If you dont have one, get one.
If you have money for a GT2871R you also have money for a wideband kit.
It will tell you if it running rich of lean and could connect to any aftermarket ECU and some kits also have narrowband simulation for stock ecu's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 pm 

Yes got wideband sensor fitted (afr kit) Installed with a apexi neo. yes have checked spark and swaped coil and dizzy, it was missfiring a couple weeks ago swaped sparks and it sorted it out. fuel system is msd 255 inline fuel pump, sard reg, billet fuel rail, lots of mods like light fly, light crank pully,

problem with wide band sensor as you can imagin is when your driving flat out its hard to keep eye on road and gauge, i got fuel presure set at 40psi to be safe.

I think with all the mods the chiped ecu cant handle it,once i get her on rolling road she will be a real animal, just have some suzukird cams and adjustable cam gears to fit.

i reckern she be around 180-200 bhp mark atw