TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm 

Right might have spun a bearing or bent a conrod on my standard turbo'd engine! Not the end of the world though because I have freshly rebuilt motor with arp bolts all round and forged conrods with vitara pistons that was going into my other gti, but rot finished the car. thing is when I had engine built I assumed vitara pistons would drop comp to 8.5.1 but have been told to expect more like 7.5.1, heads been skimmed a lot so might be a little higher. Anyway my question is will it be possible to run this motor with piggyback ecu (apexi neo) and standard injectors on say 15psi for a short time?

Until I got the cash for standalone ecu setup with trigger wheel bigger injector ect ect

If anyone’s used vitara pistons with just a piggy back would love to know how it ran and what to expect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 pm 

You can do it for the time being, but i advise not to drive it hard.

I have the Adaptronic 420C unit, it does the job nicely and works with stock sensors. Isn't even that expensive.

If you want sequential ign & inj this is possible, make a custom loom for the injectors & COP's, hook up a crank angle sensor with triggerwheel.
Just make sure you get it tuned properly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm 

Oh I thought you need crank angle sensor to run standalone ecu.

how much did the adaptronic 420c ecu cost?
I have looked at them from uk seller and they are £600 for the loom adaptar and i think £800 for the 420c ecu so about £1400 all in all.

the adaptronic is the one i want to use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

stand alone ecus vary from unit to unit and setup to setup.

the basic would the stock distributor to clock the engine. you can run batch fire injection (all injectors fire at once) using just a crank mounted trigger wheel. for sequential fuel injection (each injector firing separately) you need the crank trigger to set the short count timing and a cam angle trigger to set the phase.

the crank makes 2 revolutions to each single revolution of the cam. to make sure you fire the injectors (and the spark plugs) with the correct timing on the sequential operation you need to tell the electronics what position the cam, and hence the valves, are in.

the first turbo conversion that was described on teamswift eventually ran a piggy back controller on the stock ecu using the clocking provided by the oem distributor.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 am 

Lose spark plug is what was making all the noise!

Still have a major problem with car and can’t think what it is

Symptoms: lack of power will not rev above 6000rpm when under load.

Things checked or replaced

Compression test all good

Pressure test on turbo system checked and holds pressure

Fuel system upgraded sard reg, bosch in tank fuel pump, fast flow fuel rail.

Spark plugs replaced, coil replaced, dizzy replaced,

Removed piggyback ecu

Exhaust system checked for leaks

Timing checked and keyway

These are all things I have done to resolved problem it’s been like this for about a month now. Getting very pissed off with it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:23 pm 

I realize this is an old post, but wanted to throw in my .02. I was running a 15psi turbo setup with vitaras on the Apexi SAFC II. Ran 205hp at the wheels after it was "tuned" but I wasn't happy with it. It's very hard to get a consistent tune with the Apexi. The car has sat for almost 7 years and I'm just now getting around to reviving it and I've decided to convert to the Adaptronic e420c. A lot of the Adaptronic faithful are switching to their new line of ecu's, so there are used 420c's floating around for cheap. I picked mine up for $450. I wouldn't spend the extra $200-300 on the plug and play harness. They don't make them anymore and the ones that the distributors still have in stock are very expensive. I have the wiring diagram that they used to make those harnesses, let me know if you'd like it. I can send it to you. Anyone with basic wire installation/repair knowledge can convert their stock loom to run the 420c. I will be gutting all the wires from the swift and starting from scratch. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I've been doing a lot of research about it and feel comfortable with the wiring.

cheers,

dave