TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 88 Sprint want turbo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm 

I have an 88 Chevy sprint. I want to turbo the 1.0 motor that is in it? Is that possible and what will I need?

Post subject: Re: 88 Sprint want turbo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 pm 

Short answer, #1) Yes anything is possible given a thick enough wallet. #2 what is needed? refer to answer #1 (A thick wallet )
Long answer, You would find it cheaper in the long run and far easier, to find a clean original sprint turbo and do a quick freshen to match your needs,desires and budget. I have found that a good rule of thumb on a "major change" type project (And I've done more then a few :thwack: :thwack: :thwack: ) is to figure your worst case scenario as far as cost goes. Then double it. then double that figure, and you now have a very realistic cost estimate (assuming all the stars align, and the gods are smiling that day. and only if you can do most of the work yourself. Another good rule of thumb, Is for every dollar you spend, you can usually get about 50 cents back, and all you effort was for free.
Others here may offer a less discouraging outlook, But if so, they have far more time,energy,skills (And Luck) then I can ever hope to have.Good luck with this or any project no matter what you chose. Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 pm 

Prairie to Pine Co. wrote:
Short answer, #1) Yes anything is possible given a thick enough wallet. #2 what is needed? refer to answer #1 (A thick wallet )
Long answer, You would find it cheaper in the long run and far easier, to find a clean original sprint turbo and do a quick freshen to match your needs,desires and budget. I have found that a good rule of thumb on a "major change" type project (And I've done more then a few :thwack: :thwack: :thwack: ) is to figure your worst case scenario as far as cost goes. Then double it. then double that figure, and you now have a very realistic cost estimate (assuming all the stars align, and the gods are smiling that day. and only if you can do most of the work yourself. Another good rule of thumb, Is for every dollar you spend, you can usually get about 50 cents back, and all you effort was for free.
Others here may offer a less discouraging outlook, But if so, they have far more time,energy,skills (And Luck) then I can ever hope to have.Good luck with this or any project no matter what you chose. Jonathan

That's an honest and realistic reply right there...couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:54 am 

Are there any power upgrades that can be done to the 1.0 short of turbo?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

A 3tech cam and pulley(whatever they recommend), perhaps exhaust upgrade, and a refresh on your engine if it's tired would be my recommendation. There is some power to be gained with all that for under $500 I'd say. Turbo is a major power increase, but it's involved and can add up. Either lots of time, or lots of money, either way it's a big project, and will land up with a fair bit of downtime on your car as well.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 pm 

codyb76 wrote:
A 3tech cam and pulley(whatever they recommend), perhaps exhaust upgrade, and a refresh on your engine if it's tired would be my recommendation. There is some power to be gained with all that for under $500 I'd say. Turbo is a major power increase, but it's involved and can add up. Either lots of time, or lots of money, either way it's a big project, and will land up with a fair bit of downtime on your car as well.

:goodpost:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm 

Money isn't an issue if I can find the stuff. Is there a specific site that sells sprint parts. As far as I've found there's not a lot out there. Down times not a big deal were coming into good weather and I've got my supercharged bike to keep my urges down. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:22 pm 

Money isn't an issue if I can find the stuff. Is there a specific site that sells sprint parts. As far as I've found there's not a lot out there. Down times not a big deal were coming into good weather and I've got my supercharged bike to keep my urges down. Lol