TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What turbo to use???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:34 pm 

Scrapped my old crappy t25 flanged stainless steel turbo manifold and bought a cast iron t3 flanged one. Sold turbo as we'll .

Now I'm trying to decided what new turbo to get?(gt3071r) Gone back to stock compression for better low down torque for drivability will be running ten psi setup, all arp bolts Dave's conrods, copper head gasket ,

There are so many turbos to choose from so any advise is welcome? Has to be t3 flanged

Cheers

Post subject: Re: What turbo to use???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm 

Get a different flange. T3 is too large. I've ran an IHI RHB5 and it was pretty well matched. The t3 I ran was miserable, way too late of a spool. I cant remember the trim but it was one of the smaller ones. I have an IHI VF38 for my next build which has an excellent reputation on G13B engines. Downside is its $800-1000 used. Or get a t3 to t25 adapter if for some reason you have to use the t3 flange.

Edit, just re read your post. My last sentence still pertains.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:21 am 
Suzuki Elder

thumbs up on the rhb5 (found on mazda and ford) and the vf38 turbos.

the t25 as used on 2.0 and 2.3 liter saabs' light pressure boost applications work pretty well, too.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 pm 

yer have to use t3 ( I thought garndi's epron turbo chip is tunned for t3 turbo on stock motor?)

what I want is the smallest bb (t3 hotside) style turbo I can get! im willing to spend the dollar, I was looking at a garret gt3071r bb turbo but have been advised to get Turbonetics gtk325? i do like the look of the turbonetics one wich of these do you think will be the best?

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm 

My gt2560r originally came with a t25 flange but I switched to a externally wastegated hot side and it was a t3 flange. So you may be able to find a turbo reguardless of its flange and find a t3 hot side for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 am 

just chop of the t3 flange and weld on a t25 flange, buy a t25 and your good to go. It's not like your moving the earth on 10psi.
GT30 ect is way to big for your application.

besides garndi's chips is for t25/td04 turbos i think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:40 pm 

Not choping up my new manifold.

td04 turbos bigger than t3, this motor will take 10psi all day will bump it up to 15psi when I get good ecu and tunner.
my old crappy t25 journel bearing turbo only comes on at about 4500rpm. I think the smallest frame t3 is turbonetics gt k 325 and it comes with T3 0.48 A/R exhaust housing!

should mention im using lightend fly and crank pully and revesed intake, all this should reduce lag.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 pm 

Sounds like you have it all figured out then.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 pm 

The flange doesn't determine the turbo size and or spool per say..You can get a ridiculously fast spooling GT2560R turbo with a .48 A/R T3 Turbine Housing......

Also if you want full potential of a turbo, it isn't as simple as just bolting on a turbo and hoping it spools fast... This is where built motors and a proper ECU map comes into play, also the octane of the fuel, manifold design, cam choice and timing changes spool characteristics....