TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turbo samurai g16b
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:41 pm 

hey guys,

I have been searching and reading loads of great information on here but i still have some questions about engine management for my turbo project. I have a 1.6 16v MPFI G16B engine fitted to my suzuki sj which i use for offroad competitions and i need more power ! I have started building a manifold with a flange i got from turbine tech and ive got a t25 off a nissan sr20 to use as my turbo.

My question is what is needed to run 5-6 psi safely i kno i will need to run a wide band and at least some way of fuel enrichment, But what would u guys recommend for a low boost set up AFC ? FMU ? and still keep it reliable its a comp only truck but the last thing i want is constant tuning problems so the simpler the better (plug and play would be best) i dont want mega power and im not going to get greedy with boost i just want to give it a bit more power to make it more competitive.

Thanks for the help

Ciaran

Post subject: Re: Turbo samurai g16b
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:55 pm 
Make love, not moderators

You'll be hard pressed to find a plug and play unit unless someone has already has one for sale.

Any of the big names would easily be able to do what you want, but if you want affordable and don't mind spending the time to build it, MegaSquirt is always a great option and lots of people on here run it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 am 

yeah mega squirt is interesting and i dont mind the work in doing it but is it really a reliable set up ? and are any of the suzuki sensors compatible ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 pm 

On that low of a boost setup, you might try retarding the base timing some and paying for a few pulls on a dyno with a wideband in the tail pipe. I ran my boosted swift for a bit like that as an experiment and though it wasn't great (a little laggy) it never gave any (audible) detonation on premium.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

Ciaranfox09 wrote:
yeah mega squirt is interesting and i dont mind the work in doing it but is it really a reliable set up ? and are any of the suzuki sensors compatible ?

all of the tier 1 sensors are scalable in the megasquirt software. i use tuner studio and you can change the curves of the clt, iat, etc. you also scale the tps in the app - pedal at it's zero position, click the button, pedal fully depressed, click the button. mega squirt tuning is really sort of stupid proof.

if you pony up with the $29.95 to fully license tuner studio it turns on data logging and opens up grayed out menu applets that include a "magic button" that puts the controller in auto-tune. turn that on and drive at different speeds and loads, the controller fine tunes itself.

there's also a guy at redline who has an eprom for the g13b twincam ecu that supports light pressure boost. i know a couple of guys who use that chip who say it's pretty much plug and chug.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:08 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:

there's also a guy at redline who has an eprom for the g13b twincam ecu that supports light pressure boost. i know a couple of guys who use that chip who say it's pretty much plug and chug.

That's Garndi, I ran that chip most of the time in my boosted GT. I don't think he makes any for the G16 though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 am 

A chip would be ideal for what I want if they are available is it possible to remap the stock ecu with another eprom chip ?

airwerks wrote:
On that low of a boost setup, you might try retarding the base timing some and paying for a few pulls on a dyno with a wideband in the tail pipe. I ran my boosted swift for a bit like that as an experiment and though it wasn't great (a little laggy) it never gave any (audible) detonation on premium.

This is interesting as I was talking to a guy on one of the samurai forums that says he has been running 10psi on all stock everything with the the base timing retarded and he claims he has been running like this for over a year no problems but I cant see how there would be enough compensation in the stock system for 10psi so I am sceptical. But that said it might be enough just to run a FMU and retard the base timing and just get it set up well with a wideband.

Quote:
all of the tier 1 sensors are scalable in the megasquirt software. i use tuner studio and you can change the curves of the clt, iat, etc. you also scale the tps in the app - pedal at it's zero position, click the button, pedal fully depressed, click the button. mega squirt tuning is really sort of stupid proof.

if you pony up with the $29.95 to fully license tuner studio it turns on data logging and opens up grayed out menu applets that include a "magic button" that puts the controller in auto-tune. turn that on and drive at different speeds and loads, the controller fine tunes itself.

So what you are saying here is I can wire in a megasquirt ecu to my stock harness and be able to use all stock sensors ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:24 am 
Suzuki Elder

i have a control set that has a megasquirt 2 version 3.0 controller board mounted in an oem ecu case and wired to the factory ecu connector. it uses the factory wiring harness plus an auxiliary harness for the 4 injectors and an added intake air temp sensor.

fainya rebuilt and modified a g13ba distributor for me. he machined a vernier adjuster to replace the vacuum advance pots that lets me dial the ignition timing in to adjust the static timing to zero degrees of cam angle.

just add a wideband afr set and tune.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:49 pm 

Thats an excellent job you have done there T3, My engine has the distributor with build in CAS and igniter and from bits and pices ive read it looks like this can be used with MS, Im going to pick up some parts and get to work on the mechanics of it