TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 pm 

Well, finally got back to Nebraska and I'm able to get busy on the swift again. It's been sitting for the better part of 8 years and was in pretty rough shape (Mostly what was left of the interior). The rodents had a nice cozy fortress while I was gone. It needs a clutch amongst other things, so I'm pulling the motor to check everything over. How far would you guys recommend breaking down the motor? I was pondering pulling the head and replacing the gasket while the motor is out, but not sure if that's necessary. It was a freshly built motor with about 3.5k miles on it before it sat. I'm definitely changing out the timing belt, plugs, exhaust manifold gasket and thermostat. A lot of the wiring was chewed up, so I decided to rewire everything from scratch. I'm switching to an adaptronic standalone, so I'll wire what's needed for that and work in the stuff for the lights, etc. It will get rid of a ton of unnecessary wires.

It felt good to burn the midnight oil on the 'ole girl again. It's looking like there's not a whole lot of people around the forum now adays, but I figured I'd share the next part of the journey.

Original Build thread:
http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:43 am 

Nice man. Hope you can get the old girl running better than before

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:01 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Well if everything was new before it sat I would save your money and just put your clutch in it.

Wait to see how it runs and if it needs anything and just focus on dealing with those specific issues.. It will save you money and time!

Good luck with the re-wiring.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:36 pm 

First thing to check. Is that it turns over. I had a engine that sat for 5 years and cylinder 3 was solid rust because the valve was open and let moisture in. If it turns over nice and you can shine some Light in the cylinders and they look good and clean. I would not worry about pulling the head. But if you do. You should also pull the oil pan and pop the Pistons out and make sure the rings are good and not rusted or anything. Maybe run a hone down quick just to get any surfing rust that might be there.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended not breaking down the engine. Everything i could see was clean and still lubed. I changed the oil, belts, upgraded the radiator, clutch and installed an adaptronic ecu. So far I'm extremely impressed with the adaptronic (e420c). I've already got a nice base map going, but still researching all the features. There's a lot to learn. Once everything was back together, she started right up. It's running about 8 psi right now. I'm working on getting it back to 15 psi, still learning the wastegate control on the adaptronic. I ditched my mechanical boost controller, since it was leaking badly. I also need to work on the getting the idle down. It's at about 1500 when warm right now. I don't have an idle control valve, but i should still be able to get it down around 1000. Beginning to think i might have a vacuum leak. She looks really ragged, but is running strong. I like the shaggy underdog look. I'm going to get some updated pics when i have a few free minutes.

Take care gents.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:46 pm 

Here are some updated photos. It's up and running again. Still cleaning out rat turds, finishing up some wiring and tuning it with the adaptronic. I have my fuel and ignition pretty well dialed in, but I'm still trying to get the electronic boost control function and cold start tuning stuff where i want it. It's running at 10psi currently and is a blast to drive. I've got a small engine oil leak at the very bottom of the tranny, which is most likely a rear main seal. So eventually i'm going to have to pull the tranny and take care of that. While it's down I'm going to be replacing all brake disks and calipers/pads. The breaks are pretty scary right now.

Any midwest swifts still around? Haven't heard from Dan (allmtrswift) in a while and was hoping to get up to the minnesota meet, but the car wasn't ready in time.

Take care and swift on.

Dave