TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 am 

ok guys, I have a 94 xfi metro bone stock except a turbo off a 2014 vw. what kind of gains if any could i expect to see if any going to a standard g10 stock cam over the xfi?
the car made 45 hp 58 ftlb on a chassis dyno before the turbo was added

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

between 80 to 100 hp depending on the tune.

i don't care for the xfi grind cam. it runs out of wind too fast and i prefer a cam that moves the action upward in the rev range. that is a better match for and utilization of boost.

not to offend, but what i can infer from your pic seems like the manifolding to the turbo would be pretty inefficient and lag prone. your turbo will require more wind from the 1 liter pump and you will definitely have to have your revs up.

with the fuel system and intake manifold, if it were mine, i wouldn't press for more than 6 or 8 pounds of boost. the map sensor range may not handle the boost and the last thing you want is a lean afr at wot. i don't think the pistons would tolerate the heat.

how does it run now?

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:45 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
between 80 to 100 hp depending on the tune.

i don't care for the xfi grind cam. it runs out of wind too fast and i prefer a cam that moves the action upward in the rev range. that is a better match for and utilization of boost.

not to offend, but what i can infer from your pic seems like the manifolding to the turbo would be pretty inefficient and lag prone. your turbo will require more wind from the 1 liter pump and you will definitely have to have your revs up.

with the fuel system and intake manifold, if it were mine, i wouldn't press for more than 6 or 8 pounds of boost. the map sensor range may not handle the boost and the last thing you want is a lean afr at wot. i don't think the pistons would tolerate the heat.

how does it run now?

it runs well plenty of power feels faster then my old festiva that made 108hp
that ran 9.60's 1/8th mile on stock 12's

so that said it can make 3 psi at 2200, 7 by 2400
the water methanol helps spool time coming on at 2 psi
fmu provides fueling
the map sensor has a check valve
plugs are perfect at 7 psi and 8* base timing

im going to go ahead and swap the cam then try to get it redyno'd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 am 

More cam will make it spool faster and provide more airflow at the same boost level as before. The xfi cam is as poor as choice as any for a turbo application.

If this is who I think it is, he asked for a cam recommendation and quote, wanting more power without sacrificing economy. I would almost never recommend a stock cam for a turbo application, but fuel economy seemed to be more important than performance. It is an increase of 14 degrees and .75mm, so that's significant. It should still be advanced 4 to 6 degrees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:42 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
More cam will make it spool faster and provide more airflow at the same boost level as before. The xfi cam is as poor as choice as any for a turbo application.

If this is who I think it is, he asked for a cam recommendation and quote, wanting more power without sacrificing economy. I would almost never recommend a stock cam for a turbo application, but fuel economy seemed to be more important than performance. It is an increase of 14 degrees and .75mm, so that's significant. It should still be advanced 4 to 6 degrees

I put the standard g10 cam in tonight it now pulls to 6500 easy low end seems the same i can now get 3 psi at 2k with load. im going to fill it up tommorow and see if the mpg numbers change. last 2 tanks are right at 60 mpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 am 

Why no intercooler ?

Ken.........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:24 pm 

You've only done half the job. Advance it 6 degrees now and see how much better it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm 

your turbo looks to be way to big, that wont help economy aswell as you need to rev the tits off it to get any advantage from the turbo.

What kind of turbo is it exactly? looks to be VNT turbo.