TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: g15a?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:44 pm 

anyone have tried to fit a 1.5 bottom end to a gti head?
i dont know if the timming belt used to do the swap
will be the same
the g15 have a little shorter stroke then the g16b so
whit a bored g15 whit a stroked g13b dohc crank would be nice!!
bored to 78 mm
stroked to 78 mm
1 : 1 perfect match :)

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:24 pm 

sound interesting... do we have 1.5l engine here? where the block is from? m15a?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:32 am 

you can find the G15A in a 95 cultus.
I got one in my car, I think the crankshaft is hollow, so I don't know if it's a great idea to have it as the bottom end?? especially for high rpm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:56 am 

jdm spec cultus 4 door cultus
ive seen this motor in 1999 cultus...
does not seem to be rare

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:51 am 

Yes, you can do it. We have done it to two G15 motors out of the Japanese Cultus/Baleno. You have to tackle it the same way as if your doing a G16 conversion, ie longer cam belt and modified cam cover etc...plenty written elsewhere.

Post subject: 1.5L conversion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:49 am 

yes , there is the G15 rare engine. it comes from the jap spec baleno of japan. i have one very good condition block with me. it is imported from japan. but too bad the laws here are very strict, I am unable to use it else it wil be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:16 pm 

wow, that looks like nice design compared to the g13b block. Isn't this what dmwdave uses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:21 pm 

db wrote:
wow, that looks like nice design compared to the g13b block. Isn't this what dmwdave uses?

yes it is a very nice engine, very low milliage as imported from Japan. I do not know if dmwdave uses the same engine but this conversion has been done by some guys here and has very good results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:30 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

My thoughts are this is only a 74mm underbored version of the G16A block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:19 pm 

Jardamuth wrote:
My thoughts are this is only a 74mm underbored version of the G16A block.

The pistons are 75mm, similiar to the G16b. but the stroke is shorter tats y only 1.5L compared to the G16b 1.6L which has a longer stroke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:44 am 

veg07z wrote
Quote:
but too bad the laws here are very strict

If you transplant your twin cam head onto your g15 block, nobody would be able to pick the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:48 am 

SK4WD wrote:
If you transplant your twin cam head onto your g15 block, nobody would be able to pick the difference.

Every year we have to have the vehicle certified as road worthy, and one of the required checks is a verification of the engine number against the registration document - given the fact that the engine number is engraved in the aluminium, they'd pick it up in a flash.

Yes, we are allowed to replace one engine with another, but it requires a legal process to have the documentation changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:53 pm 

Wow, that's a nightmare.
What country do you live in? I want to make sure I never move there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:13 am 

SK4WD wrote:
veg07z wrote
Quote:
but too bad the laws here are very strict

very easy to spot.. they see your block height and the block code, they will know the difference. Furthermore the engines sits higher too, those authorities will spot the difference once they suspect you of ilegal modifications. Wat a waste..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:44 am 

veg07z wrote:
very easy to spot.. they see your block height and the block code, they will know the difference. Furthermore the engines sits higher too, those authorities will spot the difference once they suspect you of ilegal modifications. Wat a waste..

I seriously doubt that any regulatory authority would have the familiarity with the vehicle to recognise the difference in block height, block code or engine height - typically all they do is match numbers - the numbers physically on the vehicle must match those on the documentation.

On the old BMC "A" series motors the engine number was on a stamped plate fixed to the block with two brass pins - it had to be removed to avoid damage if any machine work was going to be done on the block, and could very easily be swapped between any of the engines in the series - which ranged from an 848cc through 998 & 1098 upto 1275cc, and all of which looked sufficiently alike that you had to search the casting to find the engine capacity mark that was cast into it to be certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 pm 

fordem wrote:
veg07z wrote:

I seriously doubt that any regulatory authority would have the familiarity with the vehicle to recognise the difference in block height, block code or engine height - typically all they do is match numbers - the numbers physically on the vehicle must match those on the documentation.

On the old BMC "A" series motors the engine number was on a stamped plate fixed to the block with two brass pins - it had to be removed to avoid damage if any machine work was going to be done on the block, and could very easily be swapped between any of the engines in the series - which ranged from an 848cc through 998 & 1098 upto 1275cc, and all of which looked sufficiently alike that you had to search the casting to find the engine capacity mark that was cast into it to be certain.

local authorities here if they suspect you of illegal modifications, they will check your stroke, engine and block code and compare it with their original specs which they have a copy. anything that is out of the specs is considered illegal. if changing new engine(same cc), engine block(same stype) etc, all these needs their approval too and have to get their approval serial number. else all other modifications without their approval number will be considered illegal. Furthermore GTi is one of the hot hatches here, they bound to know all the tricks we have, just like the civic guys who convert to 1.8L or 2.0L will not escape the eyes of the well trained inspectors. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:52 am 

Quote:
all these needs their approval too and have to get their approval serial number

Well get their approval and replace the bottom end. Surely they would consider a 200cc upgrade??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:48 am 

SK4WD wrote:
Quote:

Well get their approval and replace the bottom end. Surely they would consider a 200cc upgrade??

The problem is that they will not approve of anything that is different from stock, original manufacturer's specs. They only approve of same engine type, same block, same cc. Anything differs from the maunfacturer's specs is considered illegal and the penaltly charges is very high if caught. And even for the same stock engine to be approved, you will need to pay for all the charges and sent your engine for inspection before it is considered legal on the road. therefore we end up paying lots of money for these legal fees just to swop a stock G13B engine legally.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:57 am 

Wow, I thought this kind of fascist zero tolerance policy against car enthusiasts and motorsport didn't exist anywhere in the world. There's a serious need for overhauling the government there it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:00 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

baldurg wrote:
Wow, I thought this kind of fascist zero tolerance policy against car enthusiasts and motorsport didn't exist anywhere in the world. There's a serious need for overhauling the government there it seems.

It's not just car enthusiasts. All the laws are very strict in Singapore. There's penalties for things like jaywalking, littering, spitting, chewing gum (gum is illegal to possess BTW), and not flushing a public toilet. God help you if actually commit a serious crime like murder or drug smuggling.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:12 am 

Lihtan wrote:
baldurg wrote:

It's not just car enthusiasts. All the laws are very strict in Singapore. There's penalties for things like jaywalking, littering, spitting, chewing gum (gum is illegal to possess BTW), and not flushing a public toilet. God help you if actually commit a serious crime like murder or drug smuggling.

lol~ :lol: :lol:

well murder and drug smuggling are almost always a sure death penalty.. kidnapping and possessing firearms can also lead u to the death penalty..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:17 am 

veg07z wrote:
SK4WD wrote:
Quote:

The problem is that they will not approve of anything that is different from stock, original manufacturer's specs. They only approve of same engine type, same block, same cc. Anything differs from the maunfacturer's specs is considered illegal and the penaltly charges is very high if caught. And even for the same stock engine to be approved, you will need to pay for all the charges and sent your engine for inspection before it is considered legal on the road. therefore we end up paying lots of money for these legal fees just to swop a stock G13B engine legally.

hi... i'm also frm s'pore.. are u driving a GTi too?

is the LTA really that strict....? i mean they won't actually take apart ur engine n measure ur cylinder bores and stuff right.. so an overbore shouldn't be a prob. :wink:

but even if swap to a G16A bottom.. the engine will only sit about 30mm (?) higher? they shouldn't notice it...

don't know if the seriel numbers can be made to look exactly the same though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:57 am 

yC86 wrote:
veg07z wrote:
SK4WD wrote:
Quote:

hi... i'm also frm s'pore.. are u driving a GTi too?

is the LTA really that strict....? i mean they won't actually take apart ur engine n measure ur cylinder bores and stuff right.. so an overbore shouldn't be a prob. :wink:

but even if swap to a G16A bottom.. the engine will only sit about 30mm (?) higher? they shouldn't notice it...

don't know if the seriel numbers can be made to look exactly the same though.

Hey pal, welcome to teamswift! yup me driving GTi too.
shhh.. ya, overbore not that attention catching. But the walls gets thinner sacrificing reliability of the engine.
if using 1.6L it's very easy to tell although only 30mm higher. I had seen few of them with it very easy to differentiate. the engine sits high up and the block and gearbox has a height difference dun flush nicely.
If LTA suspect u cheat cc then they will do it.

The penalty if caught very high. Car confiscated and court case. the fines quite heavy. I know of a guy using 1.8L B18C5 in his EG6. got to scrap car and fine $20-30k for cheating Govt Rd tax and insurance.

Not worth the risk..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:14 am 

veg07z wrote:
If LTA suspect u cheat cc then they will do it.

The penalty if caught very high. Car confiscated and court case. the fines quite heavy. I know of a guy using 1.8L B18C5 in his EG6. got to scrap car and fine $20-30k for cheating Govt Rd tax and insurance.

:shock: :!: :shock: :!: :shock:

spt-3x1.0 wrote:
use a hand held mini grinder Like DREMEL & grind down the G15 number & then usiing stamping letter & number tools stamp in the G13B

that's illegal, i'm sure the authorities would consider that marginally worse than just swapping the block. judging from the strictness of the laws in singapore, if they found out, i'm pretty sure Mr Big would make you his bitch (either that or the grim reaper would come knocking)