TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:01 am 

Like the title says!

Andre Cloutier
pilote
equipe de rallye AJC
Second place is the first loooser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:46 pm 

mesurement wise i belive the esteem 2.0 is too big to be put in a swift/metro i dunno
if there is a will there is look, I'm retarded a way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:11 am 

I have done a lot of conversions on different vehicles (Nissan hard body vg30 turbo, (2) 240Z 2.8l TURBO conversions, VNT 2.2l turbo in 84 charger etc.) Sometimes I think it's a curse but sometimes it’s the best thing…so ONCE AGAIN I have a J20 dohc motor. The J20 (1,995 cc 2 liters 4 in-line front engine with 84 mm bore, 90 mm stroke, 9.3 compression ratio, 145hp) is 4 inches too tall and the width seems to be very close to the rails. The motor is a chain driven (cams) modular aluminum block/head and you can put the bigger pistons (up to 2.3l) my understanding is that the stroke on the 2.0 and the 2.3 (2,294 cc 2.3 liters in-line 4 front engine with 90 mm bore, 90 mm stroke, 9.3 compression 155hp) are the same and the 1.8L is shorter stroke. The swift 5speed is close but the crank mounting to the flywheel is different…I was thinking of using the 2.0L J20 Vitara flywheel and the swift transaxle? Which I don’t know if this will work. So if someone has more information please let me know. I will be taking a break and finishing my G13 twin cam turbo for now.

Tracking width is 53.7 in. GTI and 61.0 in on the Aerio (advertised)

I think the CV’s are shorter on the swift so they might work with the swift 5speed (slightly modified), axles and with the 2.0L J20 Vitara flywheel/clutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:44 pm 

oh me oh my, this is the same conversion im planning on doin. i was thinkin of using the aerio engine [same thing right], i hear some comes turbo charged [not sure] but as soon i can get my hands on the parts im starting mine. let me know where u reach in this buildup and what i need 2 be aware of, as soon mine is started ill let u know also. btw, ne1 knows where i can get some reading info and nething i might remotely need 2 know, whether now or later :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am 

4 inches too tall? Height is the problem?

A lot of the Honda guys who are swapping K24's into CRX's are just cutting the hood to make room for the engine. I'm not so hot on the idea of exposing the engine like that, but if it works, it work.

Plus, there's always the possibility to fabricate a bulge or something onto the hood to cover it back up.

Or maybe it'd be possible to mount the engine a bit lower than stock? That's how Hasport fit the K20 into the CRX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:35 am 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

sounds like a good way to smack the oil pan on a steep drive :lol: You can do anything you want... The limit is your fabrication skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 pm 

Well another option would be a dry sump setup, which would allow mounting a much shorter pan on the engine, and lower engine height, but a quality setup is going to cost at least $1600.

Post subject: another solution
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:49 am 
2" weiner

:lol: OR do it the easy way, refabricate th mounts to tilt the engine foward a lil more of a mounting angle..raises th gearbox (thus relieving clearance for th driveshafts) lowers th centre of gravity...
and whats wrong with a hood bulge :D makes a good show that u shoehorned a bigger lump under there :wink:
GTX baleno models here in australia had th J18A as std fitment..fwd\4wd gearbox and th lesser balenos had a later generation efi G16 in them....why not just widen th chassis rails a little to clear it...uk guys are fitting honda b16 engines in th front of their cooper minis.... if you have access to th tools..why not :?:
J20A is a bigger bore version of th J18A as found in such models..so how big can ya increase it :D double th cubic capacity, and still use suzuki parts...heck, sounds good to me :shock: (vs g13B)

-Bewitched

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm 

This is a pic of my J18 swift......will post a write about it at a later date.....as u can see some things arent standard.

Post subject: Re: another solution
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:48 pm 

bewitched gti wrote:
:lol: OR do it the easy way, refabricate th mounts to tilt the engine foward a lil more of a mounting angle..raises th gearbox (thus relieving clearance for th driveshafts) lowers th centre of gravity...
and whats wrong with a hood bulge :D makes a good show that u shoehorned a bigger lump under there :wink:
GTX baleno models here in australia had th J18A as std fitment..fwd\4wd gearbox and th lesser balenos had a later generation efi G16 in them....why not just widen th chassis rails a little to clear it...uk guys are fitting honda b16 engines in th front of their cooper minis.... if you have access to th tools..why not :?:
J20A is a bigger bore version of th J18A as found in such models..so how big can ya increase it :D double th cubic capacity, and still use suzuki parts...heck, sounds good to me :shock: (vs g13B)
-Bewitched

Dude the j20 has longer stroke not bigger bore. Still a great engine with the right rods, pistons and cams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 am 
2" weiner

d wrote:

Dude the j20 has longer stroke not bigger bore. Still a great engine with the right rods, pistons and cams

:? hmm I stand corrected....serves me rite for quoting off website specs :oops: .... so whats th stroke of each then?
maybe I mixed it up with th v6 I was looking at.... :huh: I was sure I was told th j20a is a bigger bore of th j18a......hmm ah well, d, if you say it, its cos youve dealt with them in person.
well now youre in th thread...care to comment on adding displacement to a j series? how far can you bore\stroke it with custom components

[B]

and G16B_Sedan :wink: we all look foward to a comprehensive write-up..with pics :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:27 am 

j20 is 90mm stroke with the same bore as the j18 which is 84mm. I dont know any info on big bores. It wouldnt be worthwhile anyway as youll only gain 100cc with 2-3mm larger bores. This engine will benefit greatly with a snail or with the same work as one by Monster Tajima you could come close to their maximum reliable hp of 280. :D
400-500hp would be easier with boost and the right bits. However with FWD 300hp is the maximum limit for good allround performance and balance. Anything over that is pretty useless even with traction control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:23 am 
2" weiner

8) well theres usable power...and theres OVERKILL.....lol tis good to have max hp with race fuel...especially if youre drag racing :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:36 am 

If an engine can make 280hp in NA then almost double is possible with boost or even more with the right internals.
George Fury experienced that with the gutless nissan z18t engine in NA form this engine would never make more than 160hp in full race trim but with boost double that was possible with more torque thanks to the swirl flow design.

The J18 is similar in design to the renault famous mi16 engine with the same bore, stroke, port design and valve sizes. Hence equal max reliable power figures of around 275hp in rallye tune equally. Bothe engines can make 300hp but are short lived.

Overkill you say? far from it !!! :twisted:
I like your thinking of using the biggest suzuki engine its the logical choice.
Especially since its the magical 2ltr copy of the fiat abarth/lancia stratos (heavier cast iron blocks though but same porting, valves, bore and stroke) and renault mi16 engines (pressure die cast alloy also).
With the right rods, pistons and boost it will eat almost everything in a lightweight RWD cappuccino or cino.
The only problem is these engines are so rare that if something goes wrong with the heads you could be up poo creek. The M series are so similar in design throughout also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:59 am 
2" weiner

d wrote:
Overkill you say? far from it !!!

:sunny: I LIKE overkill :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:55 am 

G16B_Sedan wrote:
This is a pic of my J18 swift......will post a write about it at a later date.....as u can see some things arent standard.

niice niice. can u give me the necessary info on what i need to do and what what are the complications i will me facing? i have noooo problem raising the hood.

i want to drop it in my sedan then boost it.

what does this project entails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:56 pm 

claude b wrote:
G16B_Sedan wrote:

niice niice. can u give me the necessary info on what i need to do and what what are the complications i will me facing? i have noooo problem raising the hood.

i want to drop it in my sedan then boost it.

what does this project entails.

i think that his car is now turbo charge
i had sold him a BOV last week so i know
he had to be turbo charging his sedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:16 pm 

The Car has had me very busy for the past 4 weeks so i havent had time to do a write up as yet.I'll try my best to get sumtin done by weekend.

Until then a few more pics.

Kevin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm 

looking good!! Does anyone know if another manifold say from the 2ltr vitara would be better here? or its there a mani with the throttle on the other end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:57 pm 

G16B_Sedan wrote:

What kind of ignition do you use??
all J18A that i seen have COP ignition (coil on plug) and yours look to have a standard swift distributor???
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:19 pm 

redline9800 wrote:
G16B_Sedan wrote:

What kind of ignition do you use??
all J18A that i seen have COP ignition (coil on plug) and yours look to have a standard swift distributor???
:shock:

Good eye. I didn't see that either.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:37 pm 

at the moment, because finding the original 1.8 ecu was near impossible here.The car uses a 1st gen 1.6 baleno ecu, engine and body harness...to get this far i'm pleased to be honest, at the turn of the year it will be on ITB and 302 or higher cams at this stage it wont be a daily driver anymore, engine will be going in a track car.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 pm 

hey all this is MAnni n a huge suzuki fan,,,i have done the same swap that is a j18 in a suzuki swift n must say i love the results,,, the torque is awsome nad the little beauty moves like a rocket,,,have a K&N air fillter with a custom ram air scoop , 2.5 inch exhaust , plus a NITTo muffler .n the car is running on 195/45/15 NEXEN tyres with 15 inch OZ's ...at the moment car is 2 inch lowered with stiffer springs plus upgraded brakes will upload pics ...am having some problems with the axles specially while launching so need advice

n guys this is my first post so please bear my mistakes
take care

Post subject: i did it .
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:35 pm 

i put a aerio 2.0 in my swift 2 years ago and i turbo charged it with haltech F9a at 12lbs of boost made 275 hp at the wheel with stock block and everything fits perfect. i have pictures and some secrets hehe. iF u wana see .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm 

my pictures are under .. '' show off car pics ''

- CHiN0TECH