TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am 
Certified (nuts)

Looking for any info re the engine swap?
I think if my swap goes easily enough this engine could be a great upgrade for the swift.
120hp stock,short-ratio gearbox,vvt engine.

I know already the drive shafts are the same and the basic measurements are the same.
Im jus concerned about the height of the engine?

Gearbox is the same bellhousing but the clutch cable is mounted differently.

Have to check the if braking system is compatible but looks so.
Tokiko branded callipers.

Any help appreciated.

Could this be made a sticky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am 

belhousing the same? so u say a G13B engine has the same belhousing as the ignis engine?? fitst time i have heard that
The thing is they make 6 speed sequential gearboxes for the rallycars and if it's an easy fit to our engines then i need to start saving up some $$$ :twisted:

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:48 pm 

i'd love a 6 speed on my next metro after i get another one imma turbo it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm 
Village Idiot

Mate as far as i know, the m15a gearbox and engine wont just swap in with ease, and ive also heard that the ignis engine is tuneable but there are still not as many aftermarket parts available for it, you might find it easier just running a g13b at 120hp with a few mods

Prab

Renault 25! no better dash then this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:29 pm 
Certified (nuts)

Thanks for d info lads.
Im goin to buy engine,gearbox,loom,drive shafts and everything to do a conversion anyway because its cheap,fast and a 2004 engine.
My gti engine needs a new gearbox and a rebuild.
:cry:

Shouldnt be too much involved to make it fit??
Prab can u get a more definite answer to ur post?

Somebody on the planet has to know something about this.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:38 am 
Village Idiot

G10 wrote:
Thanks for d info lads.
Im goin to buy engine,gearbox,loom,drive shafts and everything to do a conversion anyway because its cheap,fast and a 2004 engine.
My gti engine needs a new gearbox and a rebuild.
:cry:

Shouldnt be too much involved to make it fit??
Prab can u get a more definite answer to ur post?

Somebody on the planet has to know something about this.........

Hey mate, join me on sisoc http://www.sisoc.co.uk ignis and new swift owners club, great guys, they know about this engine allot, mate why does ur engine need a rebuild? and i may have a box for grabs soon, all it needs is the seals done

Prab

Renault 25! no better dash then this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:29 am 
Certified (nuts)

Thanks Prab ur a Gent!
My engine has 96k mls and the head gasket is leaking and rocker gasket and oil sump gasket.
The engine feels tired especially wen u rev the tits off it most days.
To be fair i havnt been giving her the tlc she needs.
If i could squeeze in the iggy engine it would allow me to rebuild my G13b wit high comp etc and have a really good built engine to drop back in.

I think 400 euros is a steal for a 04' Iggy engine....do u?

Dibs on the gearbox mate!!!

Post subject: G13b and M15a
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:28 am 
Teamswift Racer

Hi,
I can assure you that the gearbox from a ignis or new swift will not bolt up to a g13b .I have five m15a engines in my workshop and heaps of old g13b stuff ,there are very few similarities between them.
The biggest problem you will have with fitting a m15a engine .box .shafts etc is not in the installation but in finding a aftermarket computor that will control the vvt,this is not a simple rpm activated system like a Honda ,it is infinately variable and changes according to different load,temp,afm,throttle sensors.If you fit the std ignis wireing loom and harness you will be able to get the thing to run ,but sorting the vvt wll be pretty hard and costly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 am 
Certified (nuts)

Finally the knowledge i was looking for!

Thanks Dave!

Hey wot about using the gearset and swopping that into the swift bellhousing?(Probably not as easy as i think?)

Also do these cars have the same wheel bolt pattern thus enabling me to use Iggy wheels, discs and calipers?

Are there any other parts interchangable between the 2 cars?
Would i be able to use anything from the internals either?
Is it worth buying the engine and gearbox for 670 AUD?

Sorry bout all the q's but your the only 1 who seems to know this stuff and your not around much.

Much appreciated Dave!

Post subject: m15a
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:07 am 
Teamswift Racer

The Ignis gearset will not fit the gti box ,it is the bigger frame gearset as in the 1600 sedan or 1600 baleno,definately will not fit.
Ignis has 4x100 stud pattern,gti 4x114.3 so no you cannot use wheels,discs or calipers.
Internaly nothing will fit a g13b engine.
Buying the engine /box for $670 Aus is ok (not a great bargain ,but not bad,I bought a 7,000km engine M15a for $300 complete).,but mainly if you had a new swift or ignis to put it in.Without the ecu /loom/sensors etc I cant see you making this work.
I have mearsured the engine bay on the new swift and the old swift and you wouldnt beleive it but the chassis rails are exactly the same mearsurement apart.
I am fitting a mitsubishi evo 3 engine and box into my new swift drag car at the moment ,mainly because the internals/block on the new swift (m15a) engine dont look strong enough for the power figure I want,(600hp)even 300 hp would be pushing the limits of the block.Maybe you should just buy a gearbox for your gti!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:23 am 
Certified (nuts)

The car in the scrapyard is complete so everything incl ecu wiring loom and all other parts are there not just d engine so...bottom line...is it a straight swap if i have all the parts from the ignis needed??

Its a 04' engine with 20k on the clock so it would do until i have my G13B rebuilt??
I want to use the car while im rebuilding so this may be an option?

Thanks.

Post subject: M15a
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:39 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Hi,
Its certainly not a straight forward swap,you would have to fabricate engine mounts(3),fit cable shift gearchange,exhaust system,ecu and wireing loom.basically the engine /box would fit in the hole under your bonnet but from there on it would be a custom fit.It would be much cheaper to buy another gti eng if you intend rebuilding yours and refitting later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:54 pm 

Why take the time and effort of putting in a 1500 VVT twin cam if you're just going to put the old G13B back in??? I don't see the point in putting in a larger displacement, TORQUIER engine and then dropping 200cc by putting the old engine back in. Add a set of Stage 1 cams, port the TBU, adjustable sprockets and FPR (+3psi would probably do, maybe 5 if you're daring), and probably finish up with a mild polish of the ports and valve bowls. If the newer ECU is smart enough, it should compensate for some of the mods but I would think that a cheap piggyback would be best (e-Manage?). That should take it over 120hp. Easy. Good luck with the conversion. Be waiting for a J-series killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm 

* Be - been

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:55 am 
Certified (nuts)

This has alot to do with my hatred for the standard gti gearbox!!

Ok..Suzuki want €3500E for a new gearbox and €4500+ for a new engine!!!!!!!!!!
Fuck that!!!

So if i did spend that crazy amount on a SGP new gearbox..would it still have the 1st to 2nd ratio issue that is the main downfall of the little car?

Other choice is a dogbox rally transmission and this wont be viable if it want to keep it as a daily driver...will it? (€2000)

Or else try to get one of these :http://www.suzitech.com/Products/gearbox.htm but they want a core box but im on the other side of the world.(Shipping nitemare)

Do u think they will just send me 1 without a core to give them?
This one is cheap in comparison to the other options, round 800 yoyo's.

Jus mailed them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:51 pm 
2" weiner

So dave, for theories sake..if you set up your G13b or G16 for 4wd gti box\sedan ..will the ignis gearbox fit the block?
ie is it possible to fit ignis gearbox to G series engine :?:

-Bewitched

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:21 am 

I've got a spare box, the seals need doing on it as it has a minor leak but apart from that its sound, pm me dude, as for getting an engine theres plenty of gti ones about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:05 pm 
Certified (nuts)

Cheers swinger, i might take u up on that gearbox but have a few options here atm.

Well the main Suzuki dealer over here hasn't heard anything about the "new second,third gear selector hub" that Suzitech mentions in their re-conditioning process.......Any1 have any info from their country's Suzuki dealers???

Apparentely(?) Suzuki never brought out a factory fix for the weak gearbox ie 1st-2nd ratio.

I just want to be sure about the info im getting?

Maybe Suzuki Aus brought out a fix for this...??