TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24 am 

Please help me :?
last year, I have by a racing Swift for hill climb .
The car has a vitara engine block with 1.3 dohc head. I dont know anything about Suzuki, so I ahave to ask you some questions ...
The car can not go more than 7500 rpm, is this because of the crank or long stroke or there is maybe some other problem...my friend drives 1.3 swift in group N1 (almost stock cars), and he can easely rev it to 8300...

As i see till now, there is a so much torque, but with honda 1.6 vtec as oponents I def. need more power...
Can I put a performance camshafts ? What do you think, how it will
reflects on the crank...
And yes..i think the crank is stock.

I know that I can find the answers all over this fanatstic site, but i will be greatful if some body can help me here...

Brg
Engin

Last edited by Engin on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:29 am 

It wont rev more becouse of the rev limiter at 7400 so you need a chip it will allow you to rev more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:32 am 

jozo wrote:
It wont rev more becouse of the rev limiter at 7400 so you need a chip it will allow you to rev more.

No, its not a limiter, I have a chip...just can not mach the 8000...
After 6500, very slowly increase the rpm and speed...

I was thinking that the stroke is the reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:13 am 

Is the head ported? If not the 1.3tc head looks like it cant flow like a stock sohc 16v with the bigger capacity block. The g16a/b have 1mm bigger valves and bigger ports someone on this site used some kind of quick set liquid foam and cut up samples to show the differences. The g16 head is better designed for the 90mm stroke it was designed with extra flow (although a poor power profiled cam as they focused on drivability and torque) however getting the right single cam to suit your purpose by working out the necessary specs and paying for a one off billet is the challenge.
You might want to look into this area. Dion at Suzuki Carbusters in Altona used to have a g13b destroked to 1070cc with a highly worked g16b head and it dynoed 196hp at 10,500rpm at the engine.

Does anyone know who did the foam port comparisons on the g13 vs g16 heads on this site? Iain Paterson (Madzuki)???

Or does anyone know the valve size differences between the g13 and g16 16v heads???

Last edited by d on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 pm 

@d

Great thanks,
This is realy make sence...from all the other opinions,
yours look like most reasonable...and i must say, completely new for me.
I was thinking that the problem is in fuel ignition, but we were talking about chip or inlet manifold, or maybe injectors...
These days we are going to open the engine, so i will report about everything :D

Thank you so much, my registration here was a realy clever move :wink:

Last edited by Engin on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:47 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Get some cams for it. A stock swift gti, dies around that area, 7300-7400rpm. Like a 2 stroke, power just falls away. Header, good flowing 2.25 exhaust, the normal things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 pm 

Murr wrote:
Get some cams for it. A stock swift gti, dies around that area, 7300-7400rpm. Like a 2 stroke, power just falls away. Header, good flowing 2.25 exhaust, the normal things.

my GTi revved easily to 8000rpm but when you add a long stroke bottom end things get a little asthmatic for sure, Murr an easier suggestion for sure that is if the cams are stock but the ports are still an issue on the g13b head to flow in NA form. Fiat did a similar thing with the 1600 and 2ltr engines. The heads on the 2ltr have slightly bigger valves, ports and design to cope with the 90mm stroke. It went on to become one of the most successful 2litre engine ever made. However the cranks where always forged items unlike the g16a/b. This is where one of the mysterious Honda D series cranks as used in NZ would be a nice upgrade.
Ive been trying to find specs without joining a honda site but looks like Ill have no choice soon :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:09 pm 

Thank you all for your advices...
Probably I will try with Weber carburators after porting the head...
The compression ratio is now pretty high, about 12 : 1.
Exhaust is custom and looks like in this section there is no need to do anything.
Cams are definetly stock, and I am going to change them for sure...
What cams and where to by them, what do you sugegest ?

And after all, last night I had read almost whole section about conversion
with 1.3 head on G16 A or B block, and I didnt sleap :?
It is so much of sceptic coments about this thing, and I was thinking can I ever had enough power or I just have to by a 1.3 block and prepare car for the smaller class in next season ?
Looks like Swifts in group A5 with well prepared engines and 1300 ccm have 145 HP and easily revs till 9000 rpm ...can I ever get this much ?
I must say that in this season while I was driving hill climb races the filling wasnt so bad.
Yes, it needs more power, but while you driving it, you can feel the torque and NM...with short ratio gerabox its a pretty fast car...with a litlle power maybe the 1.6 is not a bad idea...

I dont know, please help me, I have a headache now from this 1000 combinations :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:41 pm 

Now that you are getting used to not sleeping its time to do it again when it comes to the subject of using carbs.

Instead of using webers you should consider what some champions have done on this forum and others on using motorbike carbs. They are cheaper and flow better than any webers.

Hayabusa and other 44-46mm quad carb conversions are posted on this site and on redlinegti.com.

With the right cams, carbs and porting with a properly matched inlet manifold you should be ahead of those pesky hondas.

Also if you dont want to sleep for a week dont look at this site because its one of the best around about bike tech for free. Check out the running in article it makes perfect sense. Also porting doesnt mean just huge it means the right shape.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fast.htm

Supersonic ports very noisy and one way traffic

http://mototuneusa.com/success_stories.htm