TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:18 am 

Hi there,
The engine rebuild has commenced.

The block returned from my Father In law’s work (Duncan Foster Engineering) on Friday afternoon after being bored + honed, decked and hot tanked.
Welch plugs were fitted to block and inlet manifold.

My Father in Law worked his magic building up the bottom of the motor.

So far we have rebuilt the bottom end of the motor.
Fitted the block to the car and fitted the flywheel / clutch.
I have also refitted the alternator mounting bracket.
The inlet manifold has been fitted to the cylinder head.
Throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, etc. have been fitted so it can all be plonked on together.

Problems:
1. The studs in the Toga oil pump were too long with no thread at bottom so the studs from the original oil pump were fitted.
2. The gasket that came with the Toga Oil pump was a cheap paper version so the metallized genuine Suzuki item was used.
3. The Dipstick O Ring supplied with the Toga oil pump would not fit. Luckily I also had a new OEM Suzuki O Ring to use.

I have tomorrow off work and will continue and hopefully get most of it knocked over.

Photos are here:
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=117

Cheers,
Damian

95-96 = 95 Suzuki Baleno GS2
96-01 = 96 Suzuki Baleno GTX
01-02 = 01 Peugeot 206 GTi
02-04 = 02 Peugeot 307 HDi
04+ = 00 Suzuki Baleno GL TURBO

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:17 pm 

I took last week off work to finish off car due to many issues.

1. Reground cam was not fit for purpose.
Reground cam had to be binned as the way it was reground reduced the lower off cam lobes thus inlet rockers had to be adjusted way up to obtain correct clearances and "on cam" lobes were hitting on the adjustment bolts during engine rotation... 3 inlet rocker adjustment bolts broke... Replacement cam and rockers were sourced from wrecker and fitted to fix that problem early on.

2. Car wouldn't start or run. - Occassionally it would start and run with incorrect ignition sequencing settings.
After much pain and fault finding it turns out the Wolf V500 ECU is not doing what it should in regards to ignition output and sequencing... Ignition outputs of ECU were checked with a oscilloscope and confirmed to be wrong.
Crank and cam sesnor signals into ECU were confirmed correct with oscilloscope.
It has been removed from the car and is boxed up to be posted to Wolf today.
I wish I bought a MoTeC!!!!!

The car is all in one piece and should in theory be all well after the ECU returns.

This is coincidentally the 1st time the ECU has been refitted to the car since it returned from Wolf after being modified for Wideband functionality which by the way still does not work. I think they have messed up with their hardware / software.

Prior to working out the problem much heartache and rework of things were done...
1. Cam timing was checked several times to the point that I was doubting and confusing myself due to the symptoms.
2. Timing belt tensioner bearing bolt broke in water pump... probably due to the amount of times I was playing with cam timing / timing belt... water pump was removed to extract broken bolt. Drain coolant, more mess in the process etc...
3. Coils, leads, numerous sets of spark plugs were changed.
4. Injectors were checked.
5. After all this a compression check returned good results... 155-160psi.

My mate from work came over on Saturday with his test equipment and he confirmed what I believed and had been struggling with all week... F!@!#$ing Wolf ECU!!!

UPDATE: ECU is being returned with no fault found so we are both at a loss and back to fault finding.

That is all.
Cheers,
Damian

Last edited by itsdamo on Tue May 27, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:07 am 

Damo, i'm sure your Baleno is haunted :lol:

I hope things get easier from here on in!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm 

ECU is being returned "no fault found" :shock: :? :oops: :cry:

So alas my mate is coming over again on Saturday to help me test everything and figure out wtf is going on and why it won't go properly...

After sitting down and thinking about and drawing out everything I realised that I have made a fundamental boo boo with the cam sesnor trigger wheel on the camshaft. :oops: :cry:

It all stemmed from the reground cam as guy who reground it must have removed trigger disc to put it on the machine and didn't put it back on in the exact / correct position.

Although the reground cam has been removed and another OEM cam fitted the trigger disc on that cam had to be removed as the OEM cam has two trigger pips when I only want one with my setup.

I copied the position of the pip on the reground cam to the replacement OEM cam which I now realise is in the wrong spot.

In my prior attempts to make the car run I removed and repositioned the cam trigger disc several times to get what appeared to be correct cam and crank signal relationships on oscilloscope (I failed to remember when it mattered that cam spins at half of crank speed) thus I have put trigger pip in the wrong spot.

Now that I have sat down and worked out on paper where the cam pip should be in theory when motor is at TDC # 1 etc... I now realise what I have done and thus cam sensor is triggering in the wrong place.

This in turn throws everything out and explains why car would run with ignition sequencing set incorrectly. Ergh!!! :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :lol:

I will remove and reposition cam sensor disc and hopefully ECU will be back today or tomorrow... and embarasingly I will finally get this little sucker going properly. :lol: 8)

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:47 pm 

OK, ECU is back... I spent some more time playing in the garage last night. :lol:
The cam sesnor pip was in the right place in regards to motor being at TDC # 1 and cam sensor etc... thankfully I wasn't that stupid. :oops: :roll:

As Wolf swear there is no fault with the ECU it comes down to the fact it must be the cam sensor itself.

Although it appears to work when viewed on the oscilloscope it does do "strange" things when motor is cranking. :?

There is no sign of noise on the signals so it is not a wiring / floating earth issue.

The factory manual states the sensor is a hall effect device with "waveform forming circuitry".
The book shows the signal as a high (+12VDC) signal which is pulled low every tim the pip on the cam passes the sensor. This also implies that the factory ECU has a pull up resistor for the output signal.

I do have the Pull up resistor turned on within the Wolf software.

However... the cam sensor output I have seen on the oscilloscope even with no ECU fitted and a seperate 1K2 pull up resistor wired in to the sensor output is changing it's polarity.

Sometimes it works fine... High signal going low.... other times it can be a low signal going high... So having no idea of the inner workings of the "sensors wavform forming circuitry" I can only assume it is faulty... My mate from work also believes it must be the case.

Sadly I never had need to scope the outputs of these sensors when the Wolf ECU was originally installed so I can't say that sensor was / wasn't doing this prior.

I have asked the Mrs to go off to the wrecker today to acquire another cam sensor and I will try again. Ergh!!!

P.S. I have uploaded some more photos of the engine in the car now it is complete. (looks like it did before), also the Tech Edge Wide Band O2 unit which I have fitted temporarily to the strut brace, also some photos of the turbo and new oil drain arrangement.
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=117

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:45 am 

OK, I am FINALLY overjoyed to report that my car is running! :D :D 8)
Factory ECU, Factory injectors, Factory crank pulley and cam trigger wheel and a new set of spark plugs and it is running beautifully.

So now it can go off soon to fix the immediate problem... hail damage. After that I will look at getting another ECU.

I will probably do what I should have done in the first place and get an Adaptronic ECU.
As much as I want a MoTeC it is not in my budget currently.

So now it just has to driven around and feathered everywhere as the factory ECU doesn't like seeing boost... even with wastegate at 4psi it gets sad at low RPM when it sees boost.

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 am 

Hi Damian

I have a 1.6L Baleno 4-door sedan

I had seen pictures of your custom turbo Baleno in autospeed website 2 years back. Thats a whole lot of headache & painstaking re-work you are doing to revive your project turbo Baleno & I must admit I am really fascinated by it.

Since you said the factory ECU works best on the car, would a piggy-back like Unichip or Greddy e-manage Blue serve the purpose of tricking the factory ECU into supporting high boost?

Joseph Eapen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm 

penjoseph wrote:
Hi Damian

I had seen pictures of your custom turbo Baleno in autospeed website 2 years back. Thats a whole lot of headache & painstaking re-work you are doing to revive your project turbo Baleno & I must admit I am really fascinated by it.

Since you said the factory ECU works best on the car, would a piggy-back like Unichip or Greddy e-manage Blue serve the purpose of tricking the factory ECU into supporting high boost?

Joseph Eapen

Hi Jospeh,
I have heard of people using the Greddy E Manage Ultimate with success in a boosted Baleno.
I will be going down the route of the Adaptronic ECU as they work with the cars factory sensor outputs.
Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:32 pm 

so Damian - have you setup the Adaptronic ECU? http://www.adaptronic.com.au/

A guy in India makes a similar stand-alone ECU called Racedynamics http://racedynamics.in/products.html
His ECU has been successful in the Indian rally circuit. He provides the PC interface software to tune it. Guys have used it their turbo projects (medium boost) with success.

However, after going through adaptronic website, I feel racedynamics is not as extensive as it.

Wanted to know more about your Baleno's rear Disc brake setup. ( Have PM-ed you )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:58 am 

penjoseph wrote:
Hi Damian

Joseph Eapen

unichips trash...get rid of it...emanage is fine but u'll need a 3 bar Map sensor....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:45 pm 

Hey guys,

Iv currently go a tc baleno and its runned by the emanage ultimate. The piggy back can only trick the ecu to a certain extent but i have managed to pull out 15 psi. So iv decided to go for a adaptronic like damians and hopefully it will work well.

But it can be acheived with piggy back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:08 am 

Been a while since I talked to you on CB so hows the car is it finally done? Still working on the other one. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 pm 

Hi there,
The car is going well.
It is now up to a mere 64000kms since new... that is 2000kms since engine and all has been overhauled / enhanced. - It rarely gets driven. :lol:
Unfortunately I still haven't got around to fitting another ECU to the car.
Hopefully / maybe over the Xmas + New Year break I will have the time and $$$ to buy and fit an Adaptronic ECU.
I want to get the suspension sorted as well if I can and am looking at getting some Koni inserts and standard height heavy duty King springs for it... I am tired of it being low / stiff and at risk of scraping everywhere... I am getting old I think and the harsh ride is really detracting from my love for the car... Good shocks and standard height springs are what is needed so it handles well and rides reasonably.... Suspension needs some travel for it to work effectively.

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 pm 

Hello all,
It has been a while since I have updated on this site.
So for those who don't know my Baleno is now running well with an Adaptronic E420C ECU installed.

Pictures of the Adaptronic install and such are saved here:
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=134

and the rest of my pics are here:
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/index.php?cat=10007

It has not been on a dyno yet but will be going soon once I am at a point where I am mostly happy with it's tune, thus only final stuff need be completed on the dyno.
I still need to adjust boost a little and readjust preload on wastegate actuator as it is currently set to only 4psi which means that even with electonic boost control I can't see much more than 12-13psi and that quickly tappers off to below 10psi as revs rise.

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:34 pm 

Hello,
Well this morning the Baleno was dyno tuned at MRC in Castle Hill (Sydney, Australia)

The results are:
135.2kW / 181.3HP at the wheels at around 19 PSI of boost.
If shootout mode torque figures are anything to go off it makes a peak of around 330Nm.

This is probably about the limit for the little car in it's current guise.
Of course there is a lot more that could be done... head work, camshaft, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust etc...
But for now it is enough. :roll:

Copies of dyno printouts are saved here:
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=38082

and also here
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=97
along with all my other pics and stuff.
http://www.untubbed.com/pics/index.php?cat=10007

I have also created a cheesy You Tube video of my Adaptronic E420C ECU install, SARD fuel reg install and dyno results (to follow on from my previous engine overhaul / enhancement skit on You Tube).
I apologise in advance for the corny music I put to it. :lol: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4xAm6H0ZU

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:57 pm 

A long project and some interesting numbers. Can I ask as along the line Ive missed it what turbo you using?
Im just surprised to see 19psi and not more than 200atw though the torque is 80s 4 litre v8 territory.
How does she drive sure you must get some torque steer :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 am 

Why didn't I see a notification for these posts. :huh: