TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 am 

Hey guys,
I am going to do this mod in a sidekick with the stock 1.6 8v engine.
I am not completely sure this works,
I have so far checked that the the holes are compatible, but since I I am not very knowledgeable on engines yet I am not sure about compress ratio and if I should use or not custom gaskets, on one website the guy used a 1.8mm gasket, should I go this thick or should I use thinner ones? thats the question : )
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 am 

Sorry I cant help but this looks very interesting.

From what I have read in other forums you need to fit 16v pistons if not they will hit valves. People say that putting the GTI head will increase power to like 130 bhp, i think this is too much of an increase :huh:

I have a 1.6 8v in my samurai, so intersting to see what to do, although i am looking into fitting a 1.6 16v with quad carbs.

Good luck :wink:

Studying in England but currently doing an internship in Madrid (Spain)

http://www.d-limit.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:12 pm 

guiprada wrote:
Hey guys,
I have so far checked that the the holes are compatible, but since I I am not very knowledgeable on engines yet I am not sure about compress ratio and if I should use or not custom gaskets, on one website the guy used a 1.8mm gasket, should I go this thick or should I use thinner ones? thats the question : )
Thanks

From my knowledge, the G16 8v & 16v carry the same bore & stroke, so pistons should fit snug.

the 8v pistons has a CR of about 8:50:1 , which is too low for NA IMO. The 16v on the other hand has a CR of 9:50:1.

As far as the head gasket goes, i'm pretty sure the GTi's gasket can be used.

SUZUKI ... The Joy of Driving, The Thrill of Victory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 pm 

Herve-D-Limit wrote:
Sorry I cant help but this looks very interesting.

From what I have read in other forums you need to fit 16v pistons if not they will hit valves. People say that putting the GTI head will increase power to like 130 bhp, i think this is too much of an increase :huh:

I have a 1.6 8v in my samurai, so intersting to see what to do, although i am looking into fitting a 1.6 16v with quad carbs.

Good luck :wink:

i think it all depends on the mods, it is said that the gains can be between 20 - 40 hp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 am 

Thanks for the reply Stanno. Im planning a 16v swap but this seems like a good route to take if i find a swift engine with broken block or something like that

Studying in England but currently doing an internship in Madrid (Spain)

http://www.d-limit.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 am 

Herve-D-Limit wrote:
Thanks for the reply Stanno. Im planning a 16v swap but this seems like a good route to take if i find a swift engine with broken block or something like that

Not to rain on ur parade or anything, but i was informed in another vitara forum that the G16's 16v crank is a bit stronger & better balanced.

Just thought i'd share it, hope it helps somewhere in ur build.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:32 am 

I'm currently doing a G16 DOHC conversion in my car now...with stock pistons but with a milled head coupled with a 0.8MM carbon rally gasket from suzukisports....will update u on the compression ratio....my cranks also gonna be knife edged,lightened and balanced....will keep you guys updated...the only thing thats hindering progress now is the fitment of my gearbox...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:34 am 

Stanno wrote:
guiprada wrote:
Hey guys,
Thanks

From my knowledge, the G16 8v & 16v carry the same bore & stroke, so pistons should fit snug.

the 8v pistons has a CR of about 8:50:1 , which is too low for NA IMO. The 16v on the other hand has a CR of 9:50:1.

As far as the head gasket goes, i'm pretty sure the GTi's gasket can be used.

you are right about this one....i've done a comparison and they are almost the same but fits perfectly...including the galleries for the water jackets...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 pm 

okay got an update on the compression ratio...with the GTI head its damn low..even with the 0.8mm gasket coupled with the milled head i'm only getting like 8.7:1!!! way too low...I'd suggest getting D16ZC pistons for this configuration....cos even with after milling the head till the max i can only cough up like about 9.8:1....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:46 am 

Yeah P28 honda pistones is the best option for you...

Rebember you have to fit 4 valves per piston and your current pistons supports only 2 valves per piston..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:13 am 

sorry to bring this back up, but 4 banger, how are you calculating your compression ratio? from what i'v read G16B head is around 25 cc's? what did you measure or figure G13b head at? I still in research for my engine and curious how you come up with that low? I figured compression to be around 9:1 with stock 1.2mm gasket and unmilled head and block.
thanks, mike