TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 am 

Ehm...
Me again... =)

I have a problem...
Acctualy few of them... :roll:

First of all, I have some serious problems with my engine...
My mechanic told me that some pin for the oil pressure is missing, I think he said that this pin is reducing oil pressure in the head or so... Dunno...

He told me that he can repair that but it will cost me around 300€/440USD (+-) and "new" engine + work will cost me around 500€/740USD... In that case, I will know that my "new" engine will be good enough than to do just a repair on my car...

But now I started to think serious about G16A/B conversion...
The biggest problem is cause I can't find anyone who is willing to do me such a conversion...
They will do U a normal bottom part replacement (wich is basically the same as putting the G16B/A) and maybe some "small tuning" stuff but afterall, this requires a bit more time and knowledge...
OK, knowledge isn't a problem cause some of "them" already did this kind of a conversion but they don't want to do it again cause they need to "monkey around" and spend much time to do ALL this things...

I would love to do it by myself cause it's not a big thing, but first of all, I'm not a mechanic and don't have apropriate knowledge/tools/place to do it... Even if someone could help me...

What do U all suggest...?
Not to waste my time/money/nerves and get a new engine or to force :) someone to do this for me...? :mrgreen:

(sry for being a bugger) :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:04 am 
Village Idiot

Well bro to be simple try to change your oil pump with a new one or used one

the engine conversion will take so much time and its all depends on your initiative take one and be on it.

For the work done man search the net and even i would love to support you but i am in asia so sorry buddy.

Do it by ur self bro it will boost your confidence and yeah this is a better way to explore new things and gain practicle knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:17 am 
Sad but True...

its not worth it if you are paying someone else for it, all that money you dump could be better spent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:21 am 

swift13b wrote:
its not worth it if you are paying someone else for it, all that money you dump could be better spent

I agree with that... But I'm so fcking horny on this conversion... LoL... xD

@mzeeshan...:

Well, I'd love to to it by myselfe, but I can't...
Don't have a garage...
Don't have appropriate tool (specially the crane for engine)...
Don't have appropriate knowledge even to replace (let's say) bottom part of the engine...
And finally, I don't have time... (I'm employed and recently started with college)...

So U see my point...? :)

I simply CAN'T!!! :vibe:

But anyway, thx 4 the support... ;)

P.S. I found one guy who is willing to do 1.6 GTi conver. 4 me, but first of all, I need to se how much money could it cost me...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:59 am 
Sad but True...

why wouldnt you spend that money on a turbo kit or something? seriously, labor is gonna kill it

and TRUST ME youd be much happier with a turbo kit, even a cheap one, low boost ~4-5psi and dont include an intercooler. just pay someone to tap your lines and do some reading, thats something you can do. and will make way more power and sound cooler than your 1.6 idea, trust me, if I would have thought it was worth it, I would have one by now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:13 pm 

U got a point... 8)

Maybe I should take a look on "Adding Turbo or Nitrous" section... :mrgreen:

But hmmmmm...
Our cars (swift MK2) are already mature and almost ready to be crushed in those hydraulic squeezers... At least mine is... Almost :|
Too bad I wasn't born 5-6-7 years earlier... :vibe:

'ZUKI SWIFT RULEZZZ!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:30 pm 

You are only young once but you can be immature your whole life.

So it was just a G10 block/TB from Japan... yada, yada. My engines were shipped on pallets. Weighed 50 Kilos. (110 lbs.) and were $550US each 2/3 years ago. I used a C-clamp attached to a rafter, snaked a borrowed climbing rope through it and tied it to the engine. Pulled the old one out... put the new one in. A patient friend belayed while I lifted the engine. The bonnet was off and I rolled the car out from under the engine. Change engine and lowered it slowly back in place on to a floor jack. I have done both my Geos this way. I work on a dirt floor with coroplast for a mat. Bought a torque wrench. No power tools, just sockets/wrenches. Takes a full day, a Chilton manual and lots of coffee.

Attachments:
Hoisting2.jpg
Hoisting2.jpg [ 191.63 KIB | Viewed 1963 times ]

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm 

I have to agree. You need no power tools at all. Just basic, quality hand tools. If you are a tough guy like me, you don't need no hoist 8)

If you pay someone labor to do a conversion, you would be wasting a lot of money. A job like that is best done by yourself when you have time and patience.

Is the mechanic charging you that much for an oil pump replacement? Jeez :blackeye:

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 am 
Village Idiot

lolz if u don't have the appropriate tools and place us ur friends one lolz

get it friends one hahahah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:20 pm 

JohnnyMullet wrote:
Is the mechanic charging you that much for an oil pump replacement?

Nope...
I needed to replace my engine...

Ahhh...
OK, no special tools needed (even the crane), no knoledge needed, yada, yada...
And what about free time...?

I cannot buy that... Or U have some solution 4 that...? O_o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:46 am 

Well, we tried. Three outta four isn't bad, eh. Seriously, I hope you solve the time problem and wish you much success in college.

Just FYI, my manual lists Oil Pump Pin and Rotor Plate Pin as internal parts of the Oil Pump Assembly. Missing O.P.P. would be when installing a pump. Maybe, R.P.P. broke? All leaks (oil, vacuum) plugged? New PCV, oil filter?

More Time? Maybe you could stop talking to us and pull an all-nighter? :wink:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:11 pm 

BadBent wrote:
Well, we tried. Three outta four isn't bad, eh. Seriously, I hope you solve the time problem and wish you much success in college.

I hope I'll find some good souls to help me out with this.... One day... I hope soon... :)
Thx 4 the college part...

BadBent wrote:
Just FYI, my manual lists Oil Pump Pin and Rotor Plate Pin as internal parts of the Oil Pump Assembly. Missing O.P.P. would be when installing a pump. Maybe, R.P.P. broke? All leaks (oil, vacuum) plugged? New PCV, oil filter?

He tried with the new oil filter and everything was the same...
Oil or vacuum leaks were not present... PCV valve was good... I dunno what are O.P.P and R.P.P... :roll:

I asked my mechanic what was the problem... He didn't had any spare time to open my old engine, but he thinks that one pin is missing in the oil channel/duct in the block of the engine... This pin (as he said) is decreasing the oil flow into the head and increasing the oil pressure...

He will open up that engine to see what was the problem and than I'll know 4 sure... Than he will throw away bad parts of the engine and the good ones will be placed as a reserve...

BadBent wrote:
More Time? Maybe you could stop talking to us and pull an all-nighter?

HuH...
I doubt...
As I said it before, I have no place to work on my car... And to be an all-nighter, I also have no lightning...
(maybe I could buy myself one of those miner's helmets with a light on it)... :P