TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 pm 

Just digging for any relevant information or suggestions anyone may be able to offer. My goal is to have a quick automatic car with overdrive. Not a race car, but maybe a much faster than it looks Geo Metro. I have a 98 shell, was 3cyl 5spd. Also have a complete 96 Suzuki Esteem 16 16V auto. The engine and trans combo had really responsive power in the much bigger esteem 4dr, and close to 4cyl auto Geo fuel economy, due to the rpm drop into overdrive.
I have a ton of parts to pick from, lots of experience with these cars and a bit of free time :) Not concerned about wiring, shouldn't be to big of a deal to change harnesses body to body. I think the engine will mount up fairly easily, but likely will need to build a tranny mount. Hoping to mix and match axles to get a suitable length.
Has anyone done this, or heard of it done? I am open to any advice and experiences anyone has had. I have found some info on the 1.6 conversions, but nothing using the 4spd auto trans. If its not successful, i won't be out anything but my time, as i already have most everything already.
If it works, my b16 civic is gone and I'll have a new driver!

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm 

i was actually going to be starting this pretty soon myself but with the 5 speed.

no info on whats needed but if i get to it soon ill post up what i find.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:39 am 

Cool, I guess either there just isn't interest in trying this by anyone else. If i didn't have the complete Esteem i wouldn't try it, GTi engine would be easier of course. What is your plan for a trans? If it would bolt to a G10 or 13 trans I would likely go 5spd, but that difference in the bellhousing jams that up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 pm 

planning on plucking the esteem engine/trans and dropping it right in. using the swift intake manifold and ecu/wiring.

i honestly dont see much in the way of issues.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 am 

Do you think the swift ecu will work well with the 1.6? i gather you would be using a 1.3 SOHC ecu as its for a 4cyl with distributor? I imagine some sort of creative swapping will have to be done on the axles, I'm sure the esteem uses a completely different trans than the swift(manual or auto). I am finishing up a little more work before i get to mine, but quite excited to get it in the shop and see how it goes. Yours will really pull with a manual trans!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 am 

from what ive seen so far the swift and esteem (with cable clutch) use the same trans but with a different bellhousing for the 1.6 block. im not sure whats going to happen with the axles. im hoping the 1.6 trans will end up in the same place so i can use the swift axles or at least hybrid the inner CVs with the esteem axles if for whatever reason the swift axles dont work in the esteem trans.

i will be trying to use the entire 1.3 harness and ecu from the swift. no distributor on 98+ models. ill be monitoring with a wideband but im hoping the increase in displacement leans it out just enough to be right. if not i have a couple piggybacks lying around....

too many others to list