TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:08 am 

Hi,

I searched for this topic but not answering what I would like to know.
In UK, G13B engine is getting difficilt get hold of for a good price.
I know Madzuki is doing this conversion for his Subaru Justy 1.3.
Some of you may know that Baleno is 1.6 16v.
Will this head make better flow than G13B head or about same?
Also, what is after market parts(tuning) availability like?
Would you need to skim head to get good CR?
What will be the guesstimate power gain using std parts as it is with no mod?

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:33 pm 

lemme guess...u wanna know if u can actually put a G16A head onto the G13A block right? or just get a G13B engine?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:43 am 

Hi,

I got 3x G13B engines.
I'm thinking of alternatives to DOHC due to space in my Mini.
G16A cylinder head has bigger port and valves, so if I can get hold of camshafts. It will make good engine base. Also, insurance will be better due to SOHC.

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 am 

Its an OK head, but its not an all-out performance replacement for the DOHC head.
I don't like that valvetrain for higher RPM use, specifically the exhaust rockers, and tiny little valve springs. OTOH, they could be fine. I don't know if anybody has spent as much time on this cam application as me.
Its a bitch to get right, and I have had more than a few customers buy from me because the big name stuff they have doesn't work.
I would not hesitate to use one of these heads for a lower RPM build, or a turbo application, assuming RPM stays low, like under 8k.
The chamber is (IIRC), 5cc smaller than the GT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm 

I know of at least application where the SOHC 16V head was used in sprint cars on the G13B block and G10 crank to put it into 1100cc class. 15000RPM claimed.

The head was extensively modified with custom cam grinds. I do not have access to the guy who has built those so apart from a pic of the head itself the info is scarce.

Attachments:
G16_head_a791_1.JPG
G16_head_a791_1.JPG [ 17.9 KIB | Viewed 9102 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:34 am 

Hi,

Thanks for replys, guys.
The pic looks like 8v head. Am I right thinking that?
To be honest, I have never seen G16 SOHC 16v head so I'm not sure how it works.
The reason, I'm thinking of using this head is G13B head is getting rarer as we speak in UK.
G16 engines are easy to get hold of for good(cheap) price, also it is smaller so that it will fit better in a smaller space.
If it has smaller chamber volume, it will increase CR so that will be a benefit as std form.

Would mike make nice camshafts for these head?
Madzuki is already starting to do this conversion and he will be using LPG with his car.
I helped him making inlet flange to take a bike ITBs for it. The photo below is one of ITB he sent me so that I can make CAD data to laser cut Aluminium plate.

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:22 am 

got few more pics

Attachments:
G16_Ported_1224.jpg
G16_Ported_1224.jpg [ 21.28 KIB | Viewed 9094 times ]
G16_Ported_1229.jpg
G16_Ported_1229.jpg [ 23.03 KIB | Viewed 9078 times ]
G16_Ported_1229.jpg
G16_Ported_1229.jpg [ 23.03 KIB | Viewed 9071 times ]
G16_Ported_1227.jpg
G16_Ported_1227.jpg [ 8.36 KIB | Viewed 9086 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 am 

miniswift wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for replys, guys.
The pic looks like 8v head. Am I right thinking that?
To be honest, I have never seen G16 SOHC 16v head so I'm not sure how it works.
The reason, I'm thinking of using this head is G13B head is getting rarer as we speak in UK.
G16 engines are easy to get hold of for good(cheap) price, also it is smaller so that it will fit better in a smaller space.
If it has smaller chamber volume, it will increase CR so that will be a benefit as std form.

Would mike make nice camshafts for these head?
Madzuki is already starting to do this conversion and he will be using LPG with his car.
I helped him making inlet flange to take a bike ITBs for it. The photo below is one of ITB he sent me so that I can make CAD data to laser cut Aluminium plate.

Cheers
Atchi

what Bike TB is that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:31 am 

I can do cams for that head, but its a tricky application that most grinders don't quite have figured out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:48 am 

Hi,

I think it is Suzuki GXSR ones. His ITB has 48mm to 40mm taper throttle body.
I got GSXR750 off Madzuki for me to play with when I make my engine turbo charged!

This is his build of his Mini with his son anyway.
http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13709&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 am 

there was another minisprint one that I saw different dyno sheets results from different places and same combo mentioned made over 196hp at 10,500rpm with titanium rods, retainers and other top shelf quality parts. That was with 1070cc so dont know how well it would go with say an extra 300cc :)
I remember triumph dolomites had the same head design 16c sohc and made over 180hp in reliable race trim.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:36 pm 

Those pics look like they're from the MPI version, as you can see the extra notch at the top of each inlet port. There is also a TBI version which has plain oval ports. The mounting lug pattern on the head is different between the two versions.

Just recently I have managed to acquire both the G16 SOHC head and a G13B head, so I can do a comparison of the combustion chamber cc. Suprf1y mentioned that he thinks the SOHC is smaller than the DOHC, but I thought it was larger. It will be interesting to get some hard data and compare apples to apples.

The SOHC version of the head that I have I intend putting on a G13B block. suprf1y, yes with forced induction and under 8k RPM :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 pm 

metalfab_101 wrote:
Those pics look like they're from the MPI version, as you can see the extra notch at the top of each inlet port. There is also a TBI version which has plain oval ports. The mounting lug pattern on the head is different between the two versions.

I thought that the TBIs were all 8V engines? On the engines that I have seen the intake lug pattern is the same although I believe that the exhaust pattern is different. I have a 16V Baleno engine in my garage (1999 UK model) so I could check this. There is some information regarding the G16B on Pirate4x4.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639274

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:54 pm 

If anybody can post on pirate4x4, tell him that the 1.6 heads have bigger valves, bigger ports, and the cam has .5mm (.020") more lift, and 10 degrees more duration.
If you have access to a 1.6 head, and cam, there is no reason to use a one from a 1.3.
The 1.6 will be better in every respect, if any kind of performance is the goal, including a torquer motor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 pm 

Rhinoman wrote:
I thought that the TBIs were all 8V engines? On the engines that I have seen the intake lug pattern is the same although I believe that the exhaust pattern is different. I have a 16V Baleno engine in my garage (1999 UK model) so I could check this. There is some information regarding the G16B on Pirate4x4.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639274

I have a SOHC 16v head at home with the matching TBi manifold and throttle body/injector assembly. I can put up some pics of it if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:14 am 

metalfab_101 wrote:
I have a SOHC 16v head at home with the matching TBi manifold and throttle body/injector assembly. I can put up some pics of it if you're interested.

Please do! Also see if you can measure the butterfly diameter on the TBI.

I've added a post the the Pirate4x4 thread about the cam specs. The difference in valve size was already outlined on page one.