TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:00 am 

I was wondering what's the highest amount of hp a standard G16 crank can have?? will it survive 150 N/A and maybe an aditional NOS shot of 75 ?? And rpm what is the highest i want it to rev safely?? 6500? or will 7000 be safe also? :P

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:10 pm 

I've been making around 150hp with forced induction at 5000rpm for a few months, I've blown some head gaskets but only due to overboost. The dual gaskets simply weren't strong enough for 16psi boost, then the wastegate line broke and I had some way-above-20psi runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:13 pm 

As for RPM. The Suzuki bottom ends are balanced very well stock. IIRC Madzuki has talked of 8000rpm+, I'd post a link to his webpages but they appear to be down at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:33 pm 

I dont know if theres a difference between the G16A in the states or the ones over seas but if your talking about the G16A engine 16v SOHC then I know from experience that the crank cant handle 200 HP. I had about 115 HP N/A (educated guess) and a 75 shot of nitrous, and the crank is bent and will not last much longer, im in the prosess of having forged crank and rods made. So be careful with that much power. My car can be viewed at http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... _id=393574 my car has been down with a blown engine for 7 months and I've had most of the mods done during this time so I haven't driven it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:33 am 

Wow, how badly bent is your crank? How much are you paying for the custom crank and rods and where are they being made?
I'm currently pulling about 150 horsepower and 150ft-lbs from mine.
The 16V SOHC 1.6 is called G16B, the block has G16A cast into the back but on it's side, where the serial number is stamped it says G16B. I have a complete spare bottom end sitting in my basement, so if I break anything I'm back on the road within a week.
I'd like to note that 75hp of nitrous would be more aggressive on the crank than perharps a turbo with 12psi of boost. The nitrous increases the horsepower without regards to the rpm, at what rpm were you engaging the nitrous shot?
If all else fails I'm swapping in a 2L alu long block of some sorts and turbocharging it, perharps a Nissan SR20DE or if I can pick one up for a reasonable price, a grand vitara motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:14 pm 

Thanks for the info on the engine, I always forget if it's the G16A or B. The crank is bent less than 1 degree and is said to be still usable. I havn't actually found someone to make the crank & rods yet cuz im still paying for the work it's reciving now (it'll be paid before the end of the year). Then I'll find someone to make the crank & rods right away, im told they will cost about $1200 for custom hardened rods & crank. At the same time I have the crank & rods made im also going to have an aluminum flywheel made & install the Calmini LSD in the rear diff. I fired the nitrous from a dead stop all the way to the end of 3rd gear (near 80mph), it usually took about 8+ seconds. Good luck with that Nissan motor if you get it, that's a motor with high potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:09 am 

if you put in say 75hp of nitrous at 2500rpm, that's a 157ft-lb increase in torque, however if you do it at 4000rpm though it's a 98ft-lb torque increase, at 4500rpm the torque increase is 87ft-lbs.
This is why many people use "window switches" (rpm switches that turn on at some preset rpm and turn off again when another rpm is reached, as in when you're at redline) with their nitrous shots, slip the tires or clutch a bit off the line to keep the motor into the sweet spot, and when traction is gained, in comes the nitrous. Full drag cars tend to launch with a transbrake or in neutral at a pretty high rpm, and they often have 2 stages of nitrous, one to launch and the other to add when traction permits.

On the crank issue, Crower Cams make custom cranks, cams, pistons, rods, wristpins, rings, whatever but they're pretty expensive. $150 for each custom rod and the crankshafts start at $2400. Full custom "stroker kits" (crank, rods, pistons, wristpins and rings all made to your specifications) go $4000 for a 4cyl engine.
If you find a place that will do them cheaper, please keep me informed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:48 am 

All I have to say on the crank issue is "OUCH" but the price must be paid. I have too much money in the engine to use the stock crank. I asked the guys at JDM where they'll get the crank and rods and they said "Crower". I have no idea how they plan to get it so cheap, but if they really do I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:44 pm 

Hi guys

Well if shotpeening strengthens the outer surface
wouldn't that be better than nothing?
as it would prevent cracking and twisting under higher loads

Johnny

1600 AWD owner- WOO HOO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:03 am 

Yes, it defiantly is better than nothing, Shotpeening is very effective. It would cost a fortune to make custom crank and rods, so im going to Cryo treat and shotpeen mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:06 am 

And after shotpeening the crank and rods what kinda a power should it be able to handel then?? and how high rpm's?? any idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:16 am 

I was told that just shotpeening alone will increase the streingth of the rods by a maximum of almost 100 percent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:47 am 

So after shotpeening and cryogenic treatment of the crank and rods would it take as much as 200 whp? maybe 250?? if so it would be perfect for what i wanna acomplish in the future :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:49 pm 

If you combine Cryo with Shotpeening it should be able to handle far more than 250 whp. The stock crank should handle 250hp as long as you dont screw up like I did, but the rods should be replaced. At $400. for 4 custom rods, it's worth it and better than cryo treating and shotpeening the stock rods. I would have custom rods made but I havent driven my car in several months and im tired of waiting. Im going to buy a used G16 rod and use it to have someone make custom heavy duity rods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:14 am 

See if you can get it cheaper if you buy 8 rods instead of 4, I'm also interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:38 pm 

What is shotpeening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:22 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oi=defmore&q=define:Shot+peening

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 am 

....any updates on the 1600. It's been a couple of years now. Whats been happening with the mods and rebuilds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:50 am 

Went to calder the other day and saw a g16b in a fiat 600 the weird crap was the engine apparantely it has a mazda "D" series crank reground, treated and balanced to fit the g16b block. It had a 86mm stroke apparantely and was looking at boring it to 81mm with custom sleeves and machining the alloy sleeves out. He is rebuilding it soon and was telling me how he might just go the mazda pistons at 78mm. He said if he could afford to go 81mm he could use hayabusa pistons. The crank cost him 1500 in machining and 35 dollars from the wreckers.
I thought the honda d series engine crank with the 90mm stroke and 75mm bore would be easier???

Update it was a D16 crank so D series not b as posted originally :oops:

Last edited by d on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:06 pm 

just found this info on the g16b I thought the escudo twin engine used the g13b but maybe I was wrong?

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/dom4/motor/96/autohill.htm

must use billet crank in these to sustain 400hp each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:16 pm 

d wrote:
just found this info on the g16b I thought the escudo twin engine used the g13b but maybe I was wrong?

I think you maybe just a wee bit confused - the Escudo has a 2 litre engine.

If I remember correctly the twin engined car was a Swift possibly with a pair of turbocharged G13/G16 hybrid engines - the G13 DOHC head on the G16 block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:30 pm 

fordem wrote:
d wrote:

I think you maybe just a wee bit confused - the Escudo has a 2 litre engine.

If I remember correctly the twin engined car was a Swift possibly with a pair of turbocharged G13/G16 hybrid engines - the G13 DOHC head on the G16 block.

Car:Suzuki Escudo
Type:SS-13
Engine type:G16B turbo×2
Max. power:Over 800ps/7300rpm
Max. torque:42kgf-m/6500rpm
Drive train:4WD

its on the link and various engines have been used by the Monster and yes later used the 2litre.
No confusion there fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 am 

d wrote:
Went to calder the other day and saw a g16b in a fiat 600 the weird crap was the engine apparantely it has a mazda "D" series crank reground, treated and balanced to fit the g16b block. It had a 86mm stroke apparantely and was looking at boring it to 81mm with custom sleeves and machining the alloy sleeves out. He is rebuilding it soon and was telling me how he might just go the mazda pistons at 78mm. He said if he could afford to go 81mm he could use hayabusa pistons. The crank cost him 1500 in machining and 35 dollars from the wreckers.
I thought the honda d series engine crank with the 90mm stroke and 75mm bore would be easier???

Update it was a D16 crank so D series not b as posted originally :oops:

so what are the issues associated with using that crank? what would i need to know or do to get that done. will it be able to run 300atw?

Post subject: u still want this?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 am 

u still want this?

WANTED SOHC 16v head g13bb, g16b/ g16a
Weigh around 18kg packed in a carboard box
need posted to Melbourne, Australia.
If anyone can help please le me know.

in JA they are not sought after items. i dont know much bout the shipping ting but i could investigate the details. u should be able to get a couple at good prices. we could work out something cause there are things that we need out here that are in high demand. let me know whats up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:57 am 

a guy near my place ran 293hp at the crank with a stock G16 16v shortbleck and a gti head and some other mods