TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gsxr bodies or carbs???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:11 am 

iv bin talkin to a guy from the uk who has had the quad r1 carbs fitted but he says the standard ecu couldnt cope with the carbs. this is what is steering me towards the gsxr t/bodies. also i can keep the efi. but for the question, has any 1 who has done either mod experienced ecu problems?

cheers dug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:19 am 
King of Pompous

Moved to appropriate section...

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject: Tb
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:45 pm 

You would have to use an aftermarket ECU. Megasquirt comes to mind if you are on a budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:11 pm 

Why the "have to" with injected throttle bodies? whats preventing the standard ECU coping with the required inputs?
The only thing that comes to mind is the MAF signal issue and I expect that could be fooled, njothing is impossible...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 pm 

He wouldn't have to, but it would be more work and more money than megasquirt. It would also work if he kept then MAF but then he wouldn't be improving anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:00 am 

dug wrote:
iv bin talkin to a guy from the uk who has had the quad r1 carbs fitted but he says the standard ecu couldnt cope with the carbs. this is what is steering me towards the gsxr t/bodies. also i can keep the efi. but for the question, has any 1 who has done either mod experienced ecu problems?

cheers dug

Swap the dizzy for a Mk1 item...all the ECU does then is run the fuel pump - saves you wiring in a fuel shutdown system in case of an accident.
The extra airflow will freak out the MAF and cause to to hit its peak 5V limit. Even if you modify this output down, the stock maps only have so much extra fuel to drop in before they hit their limit, too. If you want pics of my R1 setup, they are in my profile. The tuner I used has made 194hp atf on an n/a GTi engine with bike carbs...he then swapped on a Quad TB setup and gained no noticeable power, except a small gain in the middle of the curve.

Really, to get the GSXR TB's to run at their best, you should use an aftermarket ECU of some sort...be it from the Megasquirt kit all the way to a Motec or overpriced Electromotive.

Hope this helps...although everyone has their own ideas... :D

Post subject: GSXR SWIFT
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:09 pm 

Why not use the hayabusa gsxr 1300 throttle bodies, map, coils and ecm?
or gsxr 1000 set up (cheaper)

and both ecm's you can hook up and calibrate using a "power commander III" (you can get used from $150 to $220) ...It will also allow you to use with a laptop.

I have the manual and the only thing that I noticed that might be a problem...Is the trigger wheel is inverted (meaning that it has notches instead of points comming of the trigger wheel.

Things that make me go HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hayabusa bodies are huge, you will likely be flowing loads of air at small amounts of open throttle. you could lose out on smoothness.

I think gsxr 750 or maybe even gsxr 600 will be sufficient.

Kev

Post subject: Velocity
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:33 pm 

Yes with a stock size intake runners there would be serious dips in velocity.

But, I would seriously modify the intake to make it similar to the busa 1300gsxr and also (very important with a map (speed) desity system) I would match the profile on the cam...so that the initial maps would be close enough and to take advantage of the big T/B's

Post subject: 600 and 750
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm 

I think the 2005 / 2006 1000gsxr would be as low as I would go...Because the stock swift gti T/B is what? I think 45mm and some guys run 60mm. Just because your running 4 T/B's doen't multiply the flow...Not all cyl.'s suck or are open at the same time...so effectively on the stock gti each cyl. is pulling out of the main T/B...But there are other factors such as pulsing from when the valve shuts...that is why the new cars have tuned runners and chambers on the air cleaner!!! to eliminate or minimize the effects and make the flow smoother. In electronics (antennas and microwave guides) its called a standing wave.

The 600 is a 38mm
The 750 is a 42mm
The 2001 to 2004 1000 is 42mm
The 2005 to 2006 1000 is 44mm
The gsxr1300 Busa is 46mm