TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Holley 5200...too big?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:10 am 

Okay, so I'm giving up on my Mikuni/Solex 30/32 in favour of a Holley 5200 from a mid-seventies Ford Pinto/Bobcat (came with both the 2.0 and 2.3 motor). This carb is essentially identical to the Weber 32/36. There's way more parts availability and it seems like it would flow better and be easier to set up and maintain.

My question is: is this an appropriate size for an '86 1.0 3-banger, or is it too big to be efficient? The motor will have one of Mike's cams, a +8* cam gear, and 2" crush-bend exhaust (from the cat). Later, I'll have the head milled for 10.5:1 compression.

Will it work? Anybody have any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:06 am 

That might be a bit on the big side, on the other hand, it might be just about perfect. It all depends on your setup, gearing, etc.. If I recall, that is a manual secondary, which should work alright as long as the jetting is close. You may want to pull one off a Chevette, just beacaus the jets should be closer.
The cam, 10.5-1, exhaust, and carb should make it move along pretty good. Being that it is a Mk1, I would not recomend any more than a +6, and that would only be with a perf. cam, and some serious head milling. Head milling retards valve timing by 1 degree for every .020" on our motors, if I recall.
If you can find a carb from a Pony/early Stellar, they are about perfect for a mild street driver 1.0. 28/32, and bolt right up, if I recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:29 am 

Thanks for the reply Mike. I actually already have the +8 cam gear (got it from you in the spring), should I get a +6 instead?

Perhaps I'll stick with the Mikuni/Solex then, and just try to find a rebuild kit for it. I got the Mikuni off of a Dodge Colt with a 1.6 litre engine, and it is virtually identical to the Pony carb (both the Pony and Colt engines are Mitsubishi's - in fact, they're the same motor), except for the fact it has a water choke and is a 30/32 rather than 28/32.

The only Chevette carbs I have seen for sale are single-barrel Rochesters, which doesn't really appeal to me.

EDIT - my mistake! My carb IS a 28/32! Guess I'll stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:57 am 

I'm surprised that I would sell you a +8. I must not have known you had a Mk1.
We can work out a trade, or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:18 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
I'm surprised that I would sell you a +8. I must not have known you had a Mk1.
We can work out a trade, or something.

Yeah, totally NOT your fault. I ordered it off of e-Bay and I see now I missed the thread that talked about +6 being the max for a Mk1. Since it's my screw-up, don't worry about it. I'll order a +6 off you when I'm ready and keep this for some future project.

Very nice of you to offer, though!