TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:44 pm 

I`m using te Weber`s 45 DCOE in my G13B. I have an option to buy in a good price a set of FCR Keihin. Someone could tell me if i make the swap it will be better run with the keihin`s? What`s the advantage and possible power (hp) improvement?

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:06 pm 

Weber - fixed choke.
Bike carbs - variable choke.
Difference - drivability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:18 am 

I have a Weber DCO 48 on my rotary engine pickup and I will say the drivability is not horrible but it leaves alot to be desired. It needs to be re-jetted with weather changes, no torque at the bottom end, the idle is not consistant, just alot of little things like that. That thing screams though! The sound of the DCO(E) carbs is very nice! I would go with Weber myself if it wasnt my main car, but if you rely heavily on it probably any other carb is easier to drive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 am 

48DCOE?

Or 48IDA? IDA is downdraft version more commonly used....although DCOE's have been used, also.

If your idle is poor...your jet setup is off....what porting do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:04 pm 

Mine is a 48 DCO, the DCOE is exactly the same except has a choke. Living in Arizona the choke isnt an absolute necessity, I even did ok in Colorado without the choke.

I run stock ports (13b from S4 N/A), jetting is mostly correct and idle isnt that bad, it just is inconsistent depending on how warm the motor is if I have been doing long highway run or short stop and go in heavy traffic. I do need to run hotter plugs I believe as lots of low rpm driving and idling they will start to foul. The carb is very touchy though, I need to re-jet it between winter and summer. Because the extreme temp diffrences in summer it will be ok but be much too lean come winter time. Now that summer is almost here I need to bust out the box of jets again.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:52 pm 

I ran a modified Nikki on my big extend port 12A...ran quite sweet. When I lived in a little country town in SW Qld, it used to foul a little but still idled not too bad. I'd just take it for a run every second weekend to the next town over worth visiting...about 200km away, that was. I could have picked up another 15-20hp at top end with a Weber but kept the Nikki for driveability and less cop attraction to the engine bay....lol

I stick to my original thoughts on the Weber vs bike carb question though, for the Suzuki the bike carbs are a LOT better for driveability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:14 pm 

Hey Oz,

I bought Bike carbs again... because it was cheap....£1 from car boot sale.
It is from Jap bike and it has 4 carbs and 38mm choke.
It also has nice trumpet shape built in unlike R1 carbs.
I like bargains and may be able to see what I can do with it...
I will take pic and post it up tp my pic album soon.

I do hear that bike carbed cars are more drivable than Weber carbs.
Don't forget that Webers are designed and made in '70s.
Jap bike carbs are made as late as '99.
I'm not saying Webers aren't good but Bikes are like F1 technologies....
180Bhp from 1000cc as std... and rev to 14k rpm....
R1 carbs will be enough for what I will be using my car for, that's for sure.

I have been told that Mikuni carbs are better for keeping setup better than Webers, too.

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:17 pm 

Local Mini Sports sedan running G13B and quads - the owner reckons he parks it between meetings onto blocks, pulls tyres and there it sits. Puts tyres on for next meeting and away it goes with no issues at all. Been doing that for a few years, it seems. His car was the inspiration for me doing the quads on mine. Once tuned, it seems they stay tuned. Main issue I've heard of is the main needle orifices wearing oval, after a lot of k's though.