TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 am 

what are the reasons for having 1 of these to make my quad carbs works properly?? i cant figure out y i cant jus change the curve in the ecu with a chip to make it work as this is all the mk1 dizzy will do. am i correct?? iv read all the posts on this and cant seem t figure out how i can make them work. the engine starts with the efi distributer but when i rev it the power seems to jus die. like its missing or somethin, but when the car is at a standstil i can rev the car with no problem.

help please guys

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:00 pm 

Oh dear,

Tempo/Dug/whatever, I thought your tuner had it all sussed..

here's a lesson on ecu fuel injection timing and carbs

Why did you go carbs in the first place? To pump more fuel to the engine and REMOVE THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT CONSTRAINTS OF THE ECU. You are adopting the KISS principle. I am following up with A Reasonably Simple Explanation
carb = no requirement for aftermarket computer. You are removing this cost. But with this will come additional tuning expense

1 your ecu requires three fundamental inputs to assess both fuel and timing.

rpm
throttle position
MAF

how many do you have with your carb setup?

2 Vacuum advance is the easiest and cheapest way to solve this. The timing curve in the ecu is affected by other inputs, so changing the setup there isn't easy nor is it cheap and nor would it probably be very effective. Any car manufacturer jealously guard their code, so most guys programming chips have done it more by trial and error than anything else.
The vacuum generated in the manifold (read the area between your quad butterflies and the head) change timing a huge amount. Just whack a timing light on an engine and rev it, you'll see what I mean. teh engine advacnes its spark using this pressure differential

Sometimes it pays just do what the chaps have done here and don;t ask questions.
Thats about all that I can explain in a non technical way. I expect a number of guys will be able to go into absolute technical explanations. I wanted to follow the KISS principle myself...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:46 am 

Hi Dug,

OK, I will try to explain what I know.

First of all, if you have non standard camshaft, you will need to change advance curve on std. mk1 dizzy.
What this advance curve will do is the other question.
Advance curve is different thrugh out rev range and it will need to increase amount with rev.

In machanical dizzy, mixture of following will give you advance curve.

1:-It has weights on each end of base plate and by removing or adding more weight will increase or decrease advance curve.
2:-It aslo has little coil sprins inside(usually 2).
This will restrict amount of advance to give with rev range.
3:-There is a slot on the base plate.
This slot will determine amount of advance it will give.

In Vacume advance dizzy, vacume will have effect with advance cruve as well as mechanical.

ECU Dizzy will do all above with electrical input as well as fueling which is more than I can handle.

By using carbs, I will be making my car more of old skool than too many gudget which I don't understand.

In order to get you car run well with carbs, you can do 2 things.
(very expensive for you)
Take it to Boggs brothers in York.
Or
Take it rolling road operated by old skool people.
If you take it to Richard Longman, Slark speed....etc.

You will need to make carbs jet sizes bigger for fueling.
Ozmidnight told me to drill it out to about 1.55mm and set needle to top groove.

My English is not very good when I try to explaine stuff like this but I hope you understand bit more now.

Cheers
Atchi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:56 am 

i think the only reson i fitted carbs is cos they wer a lot cheaper than throttle bodies. i think i kinda understand atchi. i jus got all confused when i fitted the mk1 dizzy cos i imagined that itd sort the problem straight away. but after fitting the mk1 dizzy i had no spark at all. so i got a big problem and i hav no idea wot the problem is now. do you hav a contact number for the bogg brothers or email as i live near york

cheers tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 pm 

If you have no spark at all, your problem is electrical, not advance related...

An auto electrician can sort that out

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:18 am 

Try this
Cheers
Atchi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am 

i cant see how its electrical as the efi dizzy works ok. but the mk1 dizzy creates no spark at all. thanks atchi il give them a bell.

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:25 pm 

The distributor doesn't "create spark".
It "distributes" spark.(and generates an electrical impulse to trigger the coil)
The coil "creates spark".
if the electrical signal that triggers the coil is not ok, then you won't get spark.

Test the coil, make sure spark gets to the rotor through to the plug.
then check whats happening to the signal that goes to the coil..

if the wiring there is cocked up, there will be no impulse to the coil, therefore no spark.

go see an autoelectrician first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:41 pm 
abby normal

ellpee wrote:
You are adopting the KISS principle. I am following up with A Reasonably Simple Explanation
carb = no requirement for aftermarket computer.

Does this mean, (as a Senior Member), you are proposing a K.I.S.S. A.R.S.E. solution? :razz:

Have you ever heard of per-lux igniters?

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition_products/ignitor.htm

full website--

http://www.pertronix.com

good luck :)