TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What should I do?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:34 am 

In my album, you can see my carb. It's a Rochester 2SE. Right now I'm running E85 ethanol because it's cheap, good for our air, and easily tuned for with a carb. My problem is that it has a metering rod that is vacuum controlled which goes into the main jet. It seems like it runs lean until you romp it, then it runs rich when the rod lifts. If I run on the interstate for 15 min at wide open (75 mph) it starts to pop (backfire) and slow down. I was thinking about plugging the vacuum source to the metering rod and just using my homemade "stopper" (see pic in my album) to vary my main jet flow. I know that I would lose my lean mode, but if it runs better, then hey, why not? It does the same popping on gasoline, but much sooner. I originally thought that my cat was loading up with fuel, causing the pop, but after cutting it off, it still does it. I thought a pop was a lean condition, but it really reeks like booze or gas during the pop, depending on what's in my tank. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated greatly. Before I tweaked it to run good on ethanol, it ran like a three legged cat, until it hit like 4500 rpm, wide open, then it ran like nothing I had ever seen before from a stock three cylinder. To make it run good on E85, I played with the idle mixture and my stopper heigth, along with 2 heat range hotter plugs. The plugs are a result of me thinking the pop was from fouled plugs. After the adjustment, it hasn't been as fast, but it runs somewhat smoother. I know that with ethanol, I can burn my ex. valves, but that would be from running too lean, which was probably what happened when it was so fast. It still runs okay, it's just jerky, and not sure if it wants to haul or not. Thanks for any info. Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:01 pm 

I disabled the vacuum's control of my metering rod, now having full control of my jetting. It runs way better, but it still sputtered (no popping). The only way I could get rid of the sputter was to wire the choke partially closed. Now it runs great. Lot's of power, and smooth, steady driveability. Not bad for running on ethanol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:11 am 

Update. Although it runs excellent now, I used a half a tank of ethanol in 110 miles. I'm going back to gas. At least I can tune 'er now...