TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:32 pm 

iv been readin heavily into the "changin 2 carbs " situ and i understand about the ignition problems im gona cum up against but not 1 post(correct me if im wrong) talks about the rev counter. dosnt that run off the dizzy/coil and if i change this 2 either a mech or distribless system will it still work coz i dont rely want a gert rev counter stuck on top of me dash

gary

Last edited by dominator on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:05 am 

K, on my conversion, I used an older Mk 2 dizzy that has the centrifical and vacuum advance. I hooked up the positive wire from the dizzy to the positive wire from my coil, drawing from an ignition switched source of power. I hooked my negative dizzy to the negative coil, and one wire that feeds your tachometer. I can't remember what color it was, brown or white, I believe. I'm gonna look for it then get back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:53 pm 

iv been havin a good look in the electric section and its brown and the white is the back lite feed cheers anyway

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:51 pm 

ther is no need to use the mechanical advanced dizzy. i have a quad carb set up that uses the standard electronic dizzy any works perfect. all you need it a rolling road to tune it and sum1 who knows what ther doing. my set up is currently for sale if your interested gary. pm me if u are and il give u details

cheers tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:13 pm 

i would b interested but iv allready got,waitin for most of the stuff needed
im going for a dizzyless system and i got sum r1 carbs 4 25 quid on ebay they woz the main bargin im just thinkin bout how im gona fabricate the manifold and wot else i can do wiv the engine coz i bugeted 4 itb`s but as im savin bout a grand on that lot i guess the worlds my oyster!

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:48 pm 

thats up to you kidder. i have the whole set up so there is no need to fabricate anything. i also have a skimmed cylinder head for higher compression which adds performance. it now has 11-1 compession ratio. im also selling this. dizzy less ignition is good for more fine tuning. let me know bout my set up.either way its gonna be useless to me wen my turbo set up is done.

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:50 pm 

just curious, but what made u change your mind from going for throttle bodies.

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:00 pm 

the cost mainly i looked into it deeply but everything that was needed and it would`v cum 2 1500 quid at least but i started looking on here then i started thinkin bout webbers and a while ago a frend of a frend took me 4 a spin in his nova gte wiv gsxr carbs on then that woz it i woz hooked! the next day i saw the carbs i got on ebay and its pretty much gone from there now but wiv the cash iv hav saved i think a shorter final drive and sum leda coilovers r on the cards

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:46 pm 

well you can get cheap throttle bodies and it will cost the same for making the manifold etc. its jus u need an ecu to run them, but u have the choice of turboing later on which is what im doing now.

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:04 pm 

iv worked out all of the costs luckly im a metal fabricator so the manifold and anything else im gona need i can make, my uncle is a mechanic so i can use all his tools so the only thing i have payd for is the parts im gettin and the bottom end balanced

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 am 

thats good news then. if you have any probs then let me know. im alays willing to help were i can

tempo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:32 am 

If you want a rev limiter you will probably need to run an ignition box such as the MSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:27 pm 

dug wrote:
thats good news then. if you have any probs then let me know. im alays willing to help were i can

tempo

cheers mate im sure summin will crop up along the way these things never run smoothly but so far so good

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 pm 

Tom93R1 wrote:
If you want a rev limiter you will probably need to run an ignition box such as the MSD.

i woznt lookin 4 a rev limiter i wanted to know if the std rev counter wil work wivout the ecu setup.
cheers anyway

gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 pm 

did you ever get the revcounter to work?? Im switching to carbs as well and also want to keep the original tach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:52 pm 

to be honest mate im only half way through my engine build due to weather, set backs and some last minute component decitions which means some of the main parts wont be here for a couple of months and even then im gona run it in on the std inj so i dont get any over/under fueling problems
so i wont be doing this for a while

gary