TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 am 

Hello guys, my name is Herve and am a suzuki freak like you guys but in a different field, as im into offroad. I tend to follow you guys often but never posted before. I see you get a few visits from samurai guys asking for advice, as you guys are the experts at engines :mrgreen:

Now my doubts come, i am now running in my suzuki santana sj413, a vitara 1.6 v8 with a webber carb. As we always want more power I am planning on swapping a 1.6 16v engine, im scared of wires to i want to carb it.

The engine i have located is a swift 1.6 16v from an AWD model, not sure the year but early 90 i think. Plan is to remove Monopoint injection and install GSX carbs. The thing that im most worried about is the distributor, as i need a mecanical one. I have been reading and you guys run vacum advance distributors with ECU but can i run these distributors with just the coil and then ofcoarse installing a low pressure fuel pump???

I even think that this swift already comes with a mecanical distributor, may this be the case?? If not what mecanical distributors fit??? I want the system as simple as possible and im not as bother about tunnability as im more than happy if i reach 100bhp :mrgreen:

Some vids, as we all like vids on forums, to show what i get up to :roll:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=zJhLkMQE3Z8

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=XmCnwM4rIjU

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjA-rlVF-U

Thanks in advance for your help. If its all clear i will go pick up the engine this weekend but im scared of spending the money to then find out that i cant do the conversion.

Herve

Studying in England but currently doing an internship in Madrid (Spain)

http://www.d-limit.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:05 pm 

Herve,
I'll certainly give you any and all the help i can if you would kindly ship me the AWD transaxle that came off the engine you plan to use.
For your application, do you need the angle distributor drive used on the Sammy's, or is the straight swift style one OK? I have a nice kit here that uses the 87-88 style vacum/pressure distributor, that's converted to 4 cylinders with electronic ignitor, and knock sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:16 am 

I did the switch on a 1990 that I had several years ago to eliminate the fuel injection. I used a dist and coil from a earlier Sammy that had a carb. I used the intake manifold from the Sammy, which bolted directly on to the later head with an adapter for the Webber carb that I used. As I remember, I used the 90 degree drive and the dist from the Sammy on the Sidekick, because the Sidekick dist did not have the vacuum advance unit needed for carb use(computer controlled advance). I no longer have this vehicle but may still have the dist and 90 degree drive laying in the corner. Let me know if you may need it and I will see if I can locate what I still have. As an afterthought, I also had to drop the tank, remove the fuel pump, and create just a pickup in it's place, and used an electric pump mounted just in front of the tank.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:41 am 

Thanks for the replies guys,

Fred your idea seems straight forward but the swift 1.6 cam doesnt have a gear to drive the distributor liek on a vitara/sidekick model. I may be wrong but this is what someone showed me with pictures. So my main problem is the drive gear on the cam. Can someone confirm that a vitara/sidekick has a gear on teh cam to move the dizzy and the swift 1.6 16v has a notch (not sure how you call it)

Mr. Pipe, Where are you located, the states??? If so its going to be expensive as i am in Spain, plus the dollar is very low at the moment and the transaxle will probably not be cheap. I will still ask the guy for its price and see what he says. Then you can arrange how to ship it as I have never shipped something off to the US before.

Thanks for the input guys :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 pm 

Thanks, please do check on a price for the gearbox.
About your problem...if i understand correctly, you want to convert a 1.6 16 valve head from a Suzuki car to use a distributor so you can run it carburated...is that the idea?
I have a 1.6 head here, so i'll check if any of my parts can be mixed and matched to put a distributor onto it.
By the way, i'm in Canada, but i'm sure shipping from Spain to Canada would be similar to shipping to the USA.

Darcy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 am 

As I remember, the Sidekick that I converted, 1.6 Ltr, was a 8 valve motor, and it had a tang/slot drive setup at the rear of the camshaft for the 90 degree drive for the dist. This may have been a U.S. setup and may have been different from what you have. It was a 1990 model.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 am 

Ok thank you guys. In the end I have found a vitara/sidekick 1.6 16v, so I will be going down that route, plus I cant seem to find the GSX carbs so im going down the EFI route (Fuel prices are not helping so i need to reduce fuel consumption, so EFI is my best bet)

Darcy, the scrappy is far from where i am and the new engine i have found is in a different location so sorry for not being able to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 pm 

No Problem, Herv.
...and good luck with your swap.

Darcy