TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 am 

Hello guys,
I have a Swift 2006 model which is sold here in India, Originally it came with a 1.3L approx 85bhp engine. I wanted to have a more powerful car so I went to a mod fellow. He first suggested me to go for a g16b. So we called for it but for some reason we could not manage to get it and I had to fit a G13b which originally came with the MPFI system. We fitted a Baleno Block with 1600cc injecters etc (For more power) to the G13b head but for some reasons the car refused to start. We tried almost everything but had no luck. Then some one told us to change to a Dual 40 Webber Carb setup but then too the car was not starting. The car is in the garage since 4 months now without starting which has really made me loose interest in the project.

Can any one help me what could be the problem with the car not starting, I am basically not a technical persn so all your expert advice would really help me

Regards
Tejash

Attachments:
File comment: G13b with baleno block getting fitted on my 2006 Swift
This photo has the MPFI system still attached on the engine

20012009.jpg
20012009.jpg [ 385.77 KIB | Viewed 2333 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:27 pm 

could use more info. you had a fuel injected motor that wouldn't start, but then converted it to carburetion? does it crank? if it cranks have you tried squirting some alternate fuel in the intake?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 am 

We tried a lot to start the car on the MPFI system but it was not starting as we could not find the fault in it. We also tried other ECUs from cars having the G13b setups but still not luck. We dont have too many ppl modifying their cars here so it is difficult here.
So finally it was decided that we change the setup and switch over to dual 40 Webber Carbs. We installed the single carb to start with but still the car was not starting. We took the car to another mechanic, he says that there is a problem with the Baleno block which we have fitted in the G13b as it is a bit rusted, so we opened it up again and cleaned it as well as did porting and polishing and changed the bearings, rings etc.
Engine is supposed to be fitted by today and hopefully the car should start on a single carb, I will drive it for sometime and then give it back to get the second carb fitted along with tuning.

Hope all goes well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 pm 

if you converted a fuel injected motor to carburetion, you'd have to block off the injector bungs. any motor should be simple to find out why it doesn't run. will the car attempt to crank at all? that's pretty much your first step anyways.

if it doesn't check your battery voltage, starter, solenoid, and all connections.

if it does you squirt something flammable in the intake to test fuel.

if that doesn't work you test your spark. mechanic's should know this and I have no idea what mechanic would ever say screw it converting to carbs is easier. anyways, if you're asking for help we need more info. also let us know how it goes with your car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:43 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. My engine has finally started and the work on the wiring is beeing done up.
Will keep u guys posted as the mechanic has told me to take the car and drive it for some time on carbs and then he will switch back to the MPFI system.
Expecting the car by this weekend.

The main reason for the engine not to start was the block being rusted, so it was opened and the engine had been overhauled and polshing was done to a mirror finish

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:57 am 

l_tejash wrote:
The main reason for the engine not to start was the block being rusted, so it was opened and the engine had been overhauled and polshing was done to a mirror finish

:huh:

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

Yeah - I wondered also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:14 pm 

I highly doubt rust was the culprit in this case...
Maybe since he mentioned rings and stuff being changed out, then the main caps were so tight that the crank wouldn't spin. I'm reaching pretty far with that statement however.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:57 am 

Guys thanks for all the suggestions.
The car has been started long time back and is still on Carbs. Will be soon shifting to MPFI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:21 am 

Lemme get this right, you have an 06 swift that came with a twin cam fuel injected vvt 1300 engine.
You replaced the engine with a twin cam fuel injected 1300 head on a crappy 1600 block.
you changed out the fuel injection to carbs (hopefully you changed the fuel system to low pressure...)

after heaps of pain and money, you finally get the engine to go.

And you expect it to perform better than the original?
Ever think that the moeny you have just invested would have gone a long way to better engine management and a decent intake/ exhaust system on the original motor?

Oh, thats right, you are in India.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 pm 

Wow!!! Rocket Science...

lol

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:36 am 

ellpee wrote:
Lemme get this right, you have an 06 swift that came with a twin cam fuel injected vvt 1300 engine.
You replaced the engine with a twin cam fuel injected 1300 head on a crappy 1600 block.
you changed out the fuel injection to carbs (hopefully you changed the fuel system to low pressure...)

after heaps of pain and money, you finally get the engine to go.

And you expect it to perform better than the original?
Ever think that the moeny you have just invested would have gone a long way to better engine management and a decent intake/ exhaust system on the original motor?

Oh, thats right, you are in India.

sorry for bumping an old thread but i felt there was a need to clarify.
your assumptions are incorrect. since i am from india too , i can clarify what setup we actually get here. tejash had mentioned it was a 85 bhp 1300. This clearly indicates that it wasnt a twin cam 1300, since no twin cam 1300 produces less than 100 bhp.And it has NO variable valve timing either. This in essence was the real reason for conversion. the gti head is not available on any model in india and has to be imported. the 1600 block although isnt all that free revving but has amazing bottom end torque which makes it a lot more drivable, than a peaky 1300 motor(i have one and it has a crappy low and mid range which is fun for drags but irritating for everyday driving) only few people really understand fuel injection systems here since they were implemented only abt 11 years ago and not many people modify cars here. Now that you know all the facts , i guess youll understand better why the mod was done the way it was done