TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:48 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:35 am 

I've been running standard 2001 R1 carbs on my g13b for 2 years now and have experienced no problems. I was playing around with different plenums making different volumes and lengths and leaned it out by having too bigger inlet. This blew the head gasket. The car never ran as quick as the day i drove it with no bonnet and original R1 airbox on it. Is there anyway to get rid of the plenum completely and just run filters?

After taking the head apart i've now found some of my hydraulic lifters are seized or a bit too spongey. I think possibly due to the punishing revs i give it. Is there anyway to fix lifters?

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:37 pm 

Mine ran fine on the stock jets, as well....just not on the main jet circuit. It was leaning out. However, whilst it sounded like it was running fine, it was running way too rich at lower rpm and loads. This would eventually have washed the bores of oil continually and increased engine wear rates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:10 pm 

Hi Lee,

Any progress with your car?
I have now cut up my Mini subframe and it will be ready to slot in engine and start to make some engine mounts and suspensions.
You said that low down rpm is too rich.
Did you managed to over come this?
Do you have air box with air filter?
I think pics of you set up will be nice to see for everyone, especially for me :lol: !

My friend is still battling with my head at the moment :? .
I hope he can get it done soon :roll: .
When I get it I will send pics some how to the web.

Cheers
Atchi

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:43 am 

Car needs some degreaser now, after my water pump, oil pressure sender and dizzy o-ring all decided to die within a space of a few days. It's only money. :roll:

I had a fibreglass airbox made, that is fed through a shielded filter and 80mm intake pipe. The pipe draws from the left inner guard. I had to move my washer bottle to do this.

Yes, the low-end richness has been tuned out. Once it is all done, I'll try to share a few more details. I am driving the car every day, just keeping it below 5500rpm. Torque curve seems to have moved lower, due no doubt to being better tuned along with the CV carb design.

K&N do filters....but you may find you lose some power or torque using them.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:21 pm 

I have added two more pics...some tidying up to do but basically that is how it will look.

Post subject: Finished!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:07 pm 

Car had its' final tune today. Not going into individual figures, as you can't compare across dynos - but the car made 30% more power than a stock GTi on the same dyno. Pretty happy with the result.

End setup of the carbs was:

Needles set to leanest (top) groove.
Main jets drilled to 155's.
Float springs adjusted to handle 4.5 psi fuel pressure.