TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:25 am 

I am starting on a G10 swap into a Mini. I bought a donor 86 Sprint with good running motor that I drove home about 50 miles and seems to run good. I got the carb model, because I used to have one that got great mileage, 60 plus. I was reading on here that there are two types of carbs on these, and one has a problematical "MCS" valve that is expensive to replace. I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a spare if they are still available, for the Hitachi carb version, if that is what I have. The problem is, I can't find any markings on the carb to ID it. How can I tell which one I have? I took it off the motor, and still cant find anything. BTW I am an old member from 2009, but have not been active here since, but will now, that I got this project started; I will post pics of my build if anyone is interested, Here is a Pic of the carb I have.
Attachment:
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 531.38 KIB | Viewed 2659 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 pm 

Answered in your other post. Looks like Hitachi as I see their logo on the fuel inlet boss on the casting.

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 pm 

Definately the feedback style with the mcs, if I were doing a swap and had the option I'd sure rather use the other style carb. If its the same in the US as the Canada models it had no computer control, which would save a bunch of hassle in the swap, no wiring in an ecu etc. In Canada all the 87's had no computer operated carbs, and all 88's did. Safe to say it was not the same there, as your 86 is feedback style. The mcs issue can be worked with, couple members here know them in and out and have some great posts covering carb repairs if needed.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm 

Thanks guys, Mine has a plastic ECM module under the dash, that I pulled out with the wiring harness. I think that is what controlls the carb. I don't mind wiring it into my swap, as I have experience wiring ECUs with Honda VTEC swaps. I will be disconnecting all the emissions systems; EVAP, EGR, Pulse air controll, and removing the Cat, as these old cars are emissions exempt. But I want to keep the electronic carb mixture controlls for the best fuel ecomomy, which is the whole reason I chose this motor for the swap. I'm hoping to get over 70 MPG when it is all sorted. I think everything was working properly in the carb when I bought the car, but wouldn't mind picking up an extra carb in good cond, for a backup, (anyone know of one for sale?) or at least a spare MCS or two; I want to keep the truck running for the rest of my driving life.
Anyone know what these two components are ?????
Cheers

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 554.32 KIB | Viewed 2657 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 pm 

economizer wrote:
I am starting on a G10 swap into a Mini. I bought a donor 86 Sprint with good running motor that I drove home about 50 miles and seems to run good. I got the carb model, because I used to have one that got great mileage, 60 plus. I was reading on here that there are two types of carbs on these, and one has a problematical "MCS" valve that is expensive to replace. I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a spare if they are still available, for the Hitachi carb version, if that is what I have. The problem is, I can't find any markings on the carb to ID it. How can I tell which one I have? I took it off the motor, and still cant find anything. BTW I am an old member from 2009, but have not been active here since, but will now, that I got this project started; I will post pics of my build if anyone is interested, Here is a Pic of the carb I have.
Attachment:
002.JPG

Great project you got there bro! Anyways, I just want to ask how much did you spent for your Mini parts swap? And by the way, can you post pics of your car's new build? :)