TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bike Carbs.. Maybe..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 pm 

Ok so what i have at the moment is a 1.3 GLS and i was thinking of CBR600 bike carbs as someone suggested them to me quite a while back i keep seeing around this forum stuff about ignition etc would i need to do this for my car as well? or is this just for engines with ECU's?

What have people done about re-routing the water that passes through the intake manifold?

Also as my engine is already a carb is it just as simple as bolting the carbs on and adjusting the Air to fuel mixture? as well as introducing a fuel regulator?

Go easy on me im not good with this im just trying to find out info :)

Post subject: Re: Bike Carbs.. Maybe..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:54 am 

You'd have some work regulating the carbs, but since your car's already carb, you would cut down on costs comparing to efi. Not sure about any other bits and pieces you might need, but keep in mind that regulating a carb is no easy job, had to do it on my CB600 (same carbs as the CBR600) and it's difficult without a dyno. With efi itb's you only have to synch them, but with carb itb's you need to regulate the floats aswell, otherwise you'll get crappy throttle response, mileage, etc. Though as far as I can remember, carb's offer more torque than efi. If you know how to use your hands and are up to it, I'd say go for it :wink: Do a little research first though, there are little things you might want to know before bolting them on, for example carbs need to be placed at a specific angle, otherwise the floats won't work as they're supposed to.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 am 

G-sus wrote:
You'd have some work regulating the carbs, but since your car's already carb, you would cut down on costs comparing to efi. Not sure about any other bits and pieces you might need, but keep in mind that regulating a carb is no easy job, had to do it on my CB600 (same carbs as the CBR600) and it's difficult without a dyno. With efi itb's you only have to synch them, but with carb itb's you need to regulate the floats aswell, otherwise you'll get crappy throttle response, mileage, etc. Though as far as I can remember, carb's offer more torque than efi. If you know how to use your hands and are up to it, I'd say go for it :wink: Do a little research first though, there are little things you might want to know before bolting them on, for example carbs need to be placed at a specific angle, otherwise the floats won't work as they're supposed to.

Thanks for the great reply! I'm trying to get as much research done as possible really as I'm really eager to do this providing I have the money and the time of course

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 am 

I here Bogg Brothers in the UK are the best for bike carb set up. I wish we had someone in the USA that could do it as good as them. Good luck, Russ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 am 

locost7018 wrote:
I here Bogg Brothers in the UK are the best for bike carb set up. I wish we had someone in the USA that could do it as good as them. Good luck, Russ

I forgot about them might just email them for a quote, Cheers for reminding me! There must be someone in the US that's good surely?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 am 

Bike carbs have not caught on stateside like the UK. But then again we are always behind the times. Teehee! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Russ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 pm 

locost7018 wrote:
Bike carbs have not caught on stateside like the UK. But then again we are always behind the times. Teehee! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Russ

Cheers ill set up a progress thread as soon as things start to pick up :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 am 

I wanted bike carbs for my car, but I decided to save up for efi itb's. Now that I looked into costs I might reconsider :P

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:27 pm 

G-sus wrote:
I wanted bike carbs for my car, but I decided to save up for efi itb's. Now that I looked into costs I might reconsider :P

Good luck with what ever you do and keep me posted ;)