TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:16 pm 

I have to replace the transaxle in my 94 swift GA. problem is, nobody around here drives swifts....but...lots of people drive metros.

is it possible to put a metro trans in my swift?

are there any other more suitable transmissions? you know, for better performance n all that.

basically...what kind of transmissions can i put into this vehicle?

i really appreciate everyone's time. i love my swift...but love alone couldn't hold the transmission together i guess :roll:

edit: oh, it's a 5spd 4cyl, btw. you probably already know that, but felt it was worth mentioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:31 pm 

The 1.0 & 1.3 5 speed transmissions are pretty much interchangeable - the main difference is the final drive ratio, on a 1.0 it's 4.105 and on a 1.3 it's 3.523 - use the search feature for more information

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:47 pm 

thanks for the information

i live on the search feature. problem is...haven't seen a definite answer.

for example, your answer.

it still doesn't tell me anything. you just stated 1.0-1.3 are interchangeable.

well, that's wonderful, but 1.0-1.3 whats? swifts? metros?

my question involved taking the tranny out of a metro and putting it in a swift.

i suspect metros and swifts are the exact same car...but...i haven't found confirmation in four days of searching google and teamswift.net

the most i've found is the statement "they are brothers", which could be platonic ; p

called fifteen parts places. half say yes, half say no.

i don't want to purchase a transmission then find out it's the wrong one.

i'm sure anybody can agree. i just want a definite answer.

so, kindly, please, don't assume i didn't look at all and just asked.

i know most do not search, but then, most are dumbasses. personally, i prefer searching, as it prevents me from wasting my time with people, kind of like i'm doing this very moment in having to repeat my question.

thank you for responding, it is appreciated, but my question remains unanswered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:10 pm 

yes they will fit.
the only difference you will have is the gear ratio between geo metro ,suzuki swift, geo convertible,and metro xfi.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:18 pm 

OK Mr. "live's on the search feature" you obviously didn't feel like searching hard enough, because I've done the very same search that you claim to have done and I KNOW the answers are in here.

You want to be spoon fed - so - spoon fed you shall be.

You can remove the 5-spd transmission from a 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder Geo Metro or Suzuki Swift GA and bolt it directly in place of the 5-spd transmission from your 1.3 litre, 4 cylinder Suzuki Swift GA.

IT WILL WORK - BUT - you knew there had to be a but, didn't you - because the final drive ratios are different, your speedometer will be wrong, and your acceleration will be affected.

Your next question is - can that be fixed? Why, yes it can - just swap the countershaft AND the differential crown gear from one tranny to another, assuming that the originals are serviceable. All the other gears are identical.

I encourage you to search, you'll even find pictures showing the differences

Happy now?

BTW - there are differences between the Metro and the Swift, but there are ways to make the parts from one fit the other, and that information is right here in this forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:58 am 

fordem wrote:
because the final drive ratios are different, your speedometer will be wrong

Really? I assumed the speedo gears would be the same regardless of the final drive. :?

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:27 am 

if you kept the speedo gear that came with the trans and kept the tire size that that trans had, speedo would be correct.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:07 pm 

Gasoline Fumes wrote:
fordem wrote:
because the final drive ratios are different, your speedometer will be wrong

Really? I assumed the speedo gears would be the same regardless of the final drive. :?

As far as I know the speedo gears are the same, I was curious about this and took a look at an online parts manual that showed the same part numbers for both the SA310 (3 cyl, 1.0) and the SF413 (4cyl, 1.3).

Now you do have a point here, because my statement that the speedometer would be incorrect was based on personal experience with a different vehicle, where the speedo drive did NOT come off of the diff carrier as it does in the Swift, but off of an extension on the pinion - so on reflection the diff will rotate at axle speed and once the tire sizes are unchanged, the speedo accuracy should remain the same.

You're probably right - my bad.

Post subject: thanks again
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:53 pm 

tell me the exact search you used

i tried "metro swift transmission swap"

"swift tranny metro swap"

"interchangable metro swift transmission"

and i excluded transmission.

now then, thank you for the information, but kiss my ass on the spoonfeeding comment. i suggest you shove that spoon directly into your anus to keep your head company. try to maintain an open mind that a person with a question MAY HAVE searched to the best of their abilities.

either way, thank you again.

edit: i'd LOVE to link you directly to my search queries, challenge you to pick out a proper thread, but all server-side php stuffs...so no go.

thanks ; p

Post subject: note
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:13 pm 

i do feel a dick of sorts for the last post, to mention, but i don't want to erase it. i don't like elitist snobs.

so yeah, i know it's messed up to tell someone off while thanking them for the help, but i can't help it. he was being an ass. while i do not pretend to be "smart", i feel i spoke clearly and concisely enough to stand apart from "DOOD HALP my carzor is the fuuuxxxx i neeed helps plz thnx1`!!!!" no need to belittle me or call me a liar because i swore to God that i do nothing but search constantly and ran into a wall on this one.

anyways that's all, to anybody who reads (if the thread lives) and goes "man that guy is a dick".

Post subject: Re: thanks again
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:27 pm 

Ezrael wrote:

now then, thank you for the information, but kiss my @ss on the spoonfeeding comment. i suggest you shove that spoon directly into your anus to keep your head company. try to maintain an open mind that a person with a question MAY HAVE searched to the best of their abilities.

either way, thank you again.

edit: i'd LOVE to link you directly to my search queries, challenge you to pick out a proper thread, but all server-side php stuffs...so no go.

thanks ; p

4 posts and your responding like that? Keep it up, and you won't be posting anymore.
Use a trans from a 3cyl 95+ car. It will give you the best results as far as gearing fopr performance.