TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:38 pm 

Have a question for anyone who might know.

When I took my car apart 2 years ago I had NEVER had any issues with my transmission (minus the clutch). Well, since i've put it back into my car i've had a problem with it.

When trying to shift from 1st to 2nd(in normal driving) the car is perfectly fine and normal, however when you try to shift from 1st to 2nd in a hurry(as in power shifting), it doesn't want to go into 2nd at all, it take a few seconds to go into 2nd.

Also, when trying to go from 3rd to 2nd it's similar to trying to go from 4th to 1st (won't do it at all), it's as if 2nd is locked out until the RPMs drop. If i shift to 1st it will then go into 2nd without a problem.

Now when i put the transmission back into the car this time i did use a different gear oil. I've been using 75/90 Castrol, however this time I switched to Synchromesh. Now i've heard nothing but good things about Synchromesh, so i'm not sure if that's the problem.

Could I have over-filled the tranny or underfilled it?

Any ideas? There is ZERO grinding at all.

Kyle

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:04 am 
Suzuki Elder

it sounds to me like the clutch is dragging ever so slightly. try adjusting the clutch for a bit more free play.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:45 am 

Played with the clutch cable, no difference. I've noticed that there's a VERY loud "whirring" sound when trying to go into 2nd when it is refusing. Also, if i push the clutch all the way in i get the same sound. If I back the clutch out 1 inch it goes away. I changed the fluid again also.

I've also got serious grinding action when going into reverse, no matter how smooth i shift.

Ideas?

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:38 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my guess is that you don't have the correct free play on the clutch adjustment. when you open up the adjustment and the whirring goes away, that would indicate that the throwout bearing is letting the pressure plate fingers fully relax.

2 things. it's possible that you have the clutch disc installed backwards or you have the clutch release arm in the wrong position on the splines.

the clutch is definitely dragging and that's probably what is giving you the gear clash when shifting. did you smear a light coating of grease on the input shaft? how about the pilot bearing in the flywheel? spinning free?

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:22 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
Did you smear a light coating of grease on the input shaft housing?

Fixed.
:lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:52 pm 

pretty sure my cars kinda whines when i try to downshift or put the clutch in sometimes

bet its bad. :vibe:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:14 am 

Well the downshifts sound perfectly normal, the synchros are doing their job, stopping the gears from engaging when there is a high rpm mismatch. to downshift into first gear while car is moving, you must put the trans in neutral, release clutch, rev the engine, press clutch then engage the lower gear. The the oil has a lot to do with the grip of the synchro and they are probably working too well for your taste. I use the 75/90 in the gti and its perfect. I also tried auto trans oil and it was too thin, there was crunching in engaging gears, even neutral to first, unless I kept the clutch depressed for a few seconds. I'd swap back to the 75/90. Let us know...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm 

i would highly suggest useing penzoil (GM) syncromesh. you can get it at most auto parts stores. it is a night and day diffrence from 80w90 or 75w90. The syncros acctually work with syncromesh.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress