TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Whining 5th gear.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm 

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, but I purchased a used Metro last weekend. It's 1 3 cylinder, 5 speed and it has a whine in fifth gear. I was hoping someone here might be able to advise me on a few things.

I've googled, and found a thread where someone replaced the gears under the black hat, and wonder if I did this, would it fix the whine?

If so, where could I get the parts? The junk-yard locally doesn't have any Metros or swifts?

Is it fairly safe to continue driving it? Or is it just doomed for an epic explosion one day?

I'm a student driving about 100 miles a day, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Whining 5th gear.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm 

did you do obvious things like check the fluid level

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 pm 

I haven't yet. I'm in exam week, but I made an assumption since the noise was only in 5th that it wasn't a fluid issue. Perhaps that's a bad assumption?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm 

Okay... I ran out there and checked.... it was down 1.5 quarts. Filled it up, and drove it... the whine is still there, but it's a million times better.

I also noticed what looked like a new CV axle, so I'm wondering if the previous owner replaced the axle but didn't refill the fluid?????

I guess the question now, is how much damage has been done???

I'll try to take it in and have the shop change the fluid in the next few days, it was quite ogrish.

Thank you, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 pm 

I would not ask to have the job done at a shop. It's not below your ability level.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11004
With an oil pan, drain all the fluid out from the bottom plug. Put your Permatex Thread sealant on the threads and re-install it .
with the speedo gear removed and a long funnel that fits into the hole, install it into place were you can pour the bottles in.
remove the side-fill plug. put the drain pan under it. fill up transmission with oil from the top until it starts to drip out the side hole, then stop. seal thread and reinstall plug. use brake cleaner to spray away excess oil from the case. reinstall speedo gear. test for proper operation.

It helps to remove the left wheel and jack up the car. Make sure you are using the proper fluid. It's called synchromesh fluid. Buy the Haynes manual for your car if you have not already, and start doing little maintenance jobs on the weekend. I would bet that the previous owner had used incorrect oil in the transmission.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 pm 

TheSilverBullet wrote:
I would not ask to have the job done at a shop. It's not below your ability level.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11004
With an oil pan, drain all the fluid out from the bottom plug. Put your Permatex Thread sealant on the threads and re-install it .
with the speedo gear removed and a long funnel that fits into the hole, install it into place were you can pour the bottles in.
remove the side-fill plug. put the drain pan under it. fill up transmission with oil from the top until it starts to drip out the side hole, then stop. seal thread and reinstall plug. use brake cleaner to spray away excess oil from the case. reinstall speedo gear. test for proper operation.

It helps to remove the left wheel and jack up the car. Make sure you are using the proper fluid. It's called synchromesh fluid. Buy the Haynes manual for your car if you have not already, and start doing little maintenance jobs on the weekend. I would bet that the previous owner had used incorrect oil in the transmission.

Good postings, however I can add a few things.
1.) prior to removing the drain plug, take a look and see if you have the tool to remove it.
2.) if you allow the transmission to drain for 36 hours, you can easily wipe the threads with a paper towel, being careful not to cut your fingers (the threads ARE sharp), and then quickly put the drain plug back in.
You will have to use an old toothbrush to remove the tiny flecks of metal FIRST which have drained onto the threads. This technique will allow you to install the old plug without leaks. If you do find defects in the threads, use a dental pick, available at a hardware store, to remove them. Usually it is from previous work.
3.) When replacing the drain plug, run it down and see how far it will go. If it will not go back in as far as before, there are still some metal flakes on the threads. Do not force it, but rather use that dental pick and clean up those threads. Your young eyes will see and your hands will feel the places where a 'bead' of metal has stuck to the thread crevice.
4.) We recommend the Pennzoil Synchromesh, as mentioned above. You will need 3 bottles, and will use 2 1/2 bottles.
5.) Since you see new axles, while you are under there, observe any indication of oil leakage where the axles fit into the transaxle. Don't panic. take some photos, and add them to this thread, asking the fellows what they think.
6.) Once the transmission is refilled, and you are driving it, the 'whine' you hear is probably going to be characteristic of the car during your College years. Just make a mental note of it. If it begins to get louder perhaps their is a fluid leak. Drive the car, and remember you still have half a bottle in case there is a leak.
Do not worry, unless the noise begins to increase.
-end of additional suggestions...

The pursuit of Higher Education is a worthy goal. Should you succeed, remember your poor, humble 'Fellow Teamswifters' who cringe at the thought
of having to take apart a transmission! Knowledge is power, but it is nice to have a hobby which keeps you sane.

Good luck with your studies.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm 

Thank you guys so much....

It's definitely a learning experience. I'll try changing it ASAP!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
The pursuit of Higher Education is a worthy goal. Should you succeed, remember your poor, humble 'Fellow Teamswifters' who cringe at the thought
of having to take apart a transmission! Knowledge is power, but it is nice to have a hobby which keeps you sane.

Good luck with your studies.

I love taking things apart, not so much putting them back together :lol: but I have to agree on that, knowledge is power, with the right know how, you can do pretty much anything :roll:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 pm 

Finally got around to having it checked. The verdict is it has a leaky shift-shaft seal.

Apparently, the transmission has to be rebuilt just to get to that seal.

Arghhhhhh.

Last edited by ascensions on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:32 pm 

cheap fix; junkyard replacement and swap it out. rebuild your old transmission on your own time, but buy the transmission service manual before you do it.