TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:27 pm 

Thanks to everyone who helped me over the last few days with my 1991 Metro automatic trans question. I have thus decided to go with a manual trans for my project.

I have just one more question: I will be picking up a early 1990's manual trans metro. I plan to mate the trans to a different type of motor. This will ultimatly be for a 6x6 all terrain vehicle much like an Argo 6x6. My question is if I brake stear (skid steer) like a bull dozer or excavator... can this transmission do it? I think each wheel can be applied force and have it turn at different speeds independantly (thus going arround turns and one wheel slipping on ice, etc). Does anyone see a major problem with this idea before I go forward with it?

Thanks to any and all for your input!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm 

Well it does have a differential, so if you disabled the normal steering, tacked three metro drivetrains together to make some hideous six-wheeled monster, and then found a way to apply braking independently to each side of the contraption (but evenly on each wheel in a side) then it would indeed turn in the direction of the braked side...

:alien:

While it concerns me that you are even asking this question before you start building a Mad Max movie prop that will require half of it to be built from scratch, I am sure you can build whatever you want to if you have enough time, patience, and tools. 8)

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm 

Uh... not sure where you are going with this...

What i had in mind was taking the entire front clip of a metro and creating a chasis behind it. The two front wheels drive a chain which is attached to the other driven wheels. Thus the brakes for the two front metro wheels have independant master cylinders that are controlled independantly: thus each wheel can have braking exterted to it independantly of the other.. the te other wheels on the same side are connected via the chain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm 

I think you're going to have a horsepower problem trying to drive 6 wheels with a Metro engine.

Ken....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am 

There won't be a horsepower problem once he uses sprockets on the chains to knock the final drive down 3:1 or 5:1. I don't think he would want a skid steer with an 80mph top speed and no slow speed ability. :D

From what you are describing, it should work. I've seen similar projects on the internet before....