TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tranny is Stuck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 pm 

Quick backstory: Have MK3 GTi with Turbo3 tranny, about to drive home from work in August, start on my way, shift into either 2nd or 3rd, hear a grind and a clunk, pull over immediately, see tranny fluid pissing out the bell housing. Possible conclusion; diff pin was done in.

Now, I tried removing the tranny while it was still in the engine bay. I removed everything and made double sure of it. There's enough space between the tranny and engine that I can see the flywheel, but it will not go further than that. I tried all neanderthal techniques to remove it to no avail. So the questions I have are - am I an idiot and forget to do something or is there something worse than the diff pin being effed. Also what do yous guys suggest I do to get the tranny out?

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

Post subject: Re: Tranny is Stuck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:01 pm 

there is a PITA nut by the starter, check that you got that one.
need a ratchet wrench ortherwise you'll be a while unbolting it.

it definetly sounds like the diff pin, had the same occurance a "few" times :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 pm 

crnolic wrote:
there is a PITA nut by the starter, check that you got that one.
need a ratchet wrench ortherwise you'll be a while unbolting it.

it definetly sounds like the diff pin, had the same occurance a "few" times :(

Yeah I got that out. Its like a loose tooth right now. I can wiggle it and its protruding, but something is preventing it from seperating from the engine. I'm guessing the next step will be to undo every bolt on the tranny and systematically deconstruct it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

they are a real pain to remove the trans separate from the motor. even withe the motor and trans out together it is still a pain. i think your problem is your input shaft is cocked in the clutch disk. try lifting the trans while prying on the top of the bell housing. remember there is NO room after the input shaft slides out of the disk, so you will need to lift it and let it down at an angle.

I have pulled the trans so many time's that i will never pull the trans without pulling the motor with it. but i wont have that problem anymore as i have to put mine in from the bottom up because the Hyundai box is longer than the swift box. post pics of your carnage.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 pm 

EngineWhisperer wrote:
they are a real pain to remove the trans separate from the motor. even withe the motor and trans out together it is still a pain. i think your problem is your input shaft is cocked in the clutch disk. try lifting the trans while prying on the top of the bell housing. remember there is NO room after the input shaft slides out of the disk, so you will need to lift it and let it down at an angle.

I have pulled the trans so many time's that i will never pull the trans without pulling the motor with it. but i wont have that problem anymore as i have to put mine in from the bottom up because the Hyundai box is longer than the swift box. post pics of your carnage.

It'll have to wait til next Wednesday since i'm driving to Vegas tomorrow. But I will definitely post pics of what I find. A chunk of aluminum already fell out of the bell housing when I was attempting to get the tranny out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 am 

If you have it out far enough to see the pressure plate try pulling the bolts off the pressure plate to see if it will come loose that way. Also is the clutch arm in it's proper place ? Just wondering if the throwout bearing didn't wear through the pressure plate causing it to bind up.

Ken.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 am 

The clutch arm isn't on currently. Also I can only see the flywheel. I tried using vice grips to move it but I couldnt position it and pull at the same time. I'll get someone to help when i'm back on Wednesday.