TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:17 am 

first off Hi everyone!!

first post and it is going to be a topic I have seen on the forum through searching but got few different answers on.

I just picked up a turbo sprint in need of clutch and I am seeing different answers on what clutch kit would fit.

a few of the posts say that a metro 1.3 clutch kit is same others seem to think the standard sprint 1.0 clutch fits, I'm on a budget and it seems like the TURBO part makes everyone raise price few bucks.

rock auto lists these part numbers and $$$$

1.0 sprint non turbo - exedy 04076 $49.79 6 and 5/16 OD 3/4" by 18 splines
1.0 sprint turbo - exedy 04139 $115.79 7.5" OD 3/4" BY 18 splines
1.3 metro- sachs k007701 $105.79 7.5" OD 3/4" by 18 splines

finally I found the ebay grip force kits that list 3 for the turbo sprint..the same as a sprint (6.25") the same as 1.3 swift(7.5") or the same as geo metro (7.5") the sprint one has 4 springs in hub and swift has 6 and metro has 4 :huh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57 pm 

DevilPirate wrote:
I'm on a budget and it seems like the TURBO part makes everyone raise price few bucks.

They raise the price a few bucks because it is a larger unit.

If you are on a budget, you can just replace the clutch disc.

How does $40 shipped sound?

(BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0648522 Rock Auto price w/o shipping = $50.99)

Welcome to Teamswift; fill out your profile so I can find out how much shipping will bite me in the a*s...

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:27 pm 

thanks for offer but I definitely need full kit, car was driven by PO to point of not moving forward anymore lol. I will probably go for the grip force kit of ebay since it looks like most of the parts in kit are exedy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm 

DevilPirate wrote:
thanks for offer but I definitely need full kit, car was driven by PO to point of not moving forward anymore lol. I will probably go for the grip force kit of ebay since it looks like most of the parts in kit are exedy.

It sounds like the clutch disc is bad. If you were on a strict budget, you could get away with just a clutch disc. However, it is always good practice,
if you can afford it,
to change the throw out bearing and pressure plate.

I talked to Christian and he said that the Grip Force clutch disc in your Ebay kit is 7 1/2 inches.
It isn't an Exedy kit, (and may or may not have Exedy parts), but it should do the job.
If you are on a budget, and you want a complete kit, for $70 delivered, it will be OK.
They don't carry any other kits for a Turbo Sprint except that $70 'grip force' kit.
An OEM Exedy kit will cost $110 on Ebay and should be identical in quality to what was originally installed.
If you can afford it, you might consider the Exedy kit.
A Turbo Sprint is a pretty decent car, so it's not like you'd be throwing good money after bad.

We bought an Exedy OEM kit from 'Grip-Force' clutches in Brea (Christian) to install in our Swift and we're happy with it. Because he's fairly local, we picked it up.
We happened to see a couple of Skylines in the employee lot, and the boys came out and popped the hoods for us. They were fairly 'trick'.
Back then, few in the USA really knew what they were.
Those boys demand a lot out of their clutches, and know what they're doing.

Like you, our car was driven by the PO to the point where it would not move forward. You'll need to look at that flywheel while you're in there. That would be an excellent part to photograph and post.

Make sure you update this thread as you work on your car.
We'll be looking forward to it.

See you on the open road!

Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:14 am 

yeah I was going to just go with the disk as a temp fix but I plan on keeping car so after some thought I figured I better get whole kit since car has also sat for few years.

I found three different options using the "compatible vehicles chart" in the auctions, if you have good contact with guy you might want to let him know that all three do list the turbo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clutch-Kit- ... 537wt_1343

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clutch-Kit- ... 413wt_1073

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRIPFORCE-OEM-C ... 080wt_1270

All of the above list the 1987 turbo sprint as a compatible vehicle, I was unaware of the correct size for the turbo at first, I ended up buying the last one 7.5" for swift and turbo sprint since it was listed as right size and also had the 6 center springs like I believe the stock one did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 am 

A Chevrolet Sprint is a quality piece of engineering.
If you plan on keeping the car, spent the extra $15 and get something that will last.

Item number: 120579088396
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exedy-OEM-Clutc ... 0579088384
Right in your own backyard.
Pick it up and save on shipping.

Your flywheel will probably need a bit of machining.
Don't forget to update this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 am 

saw that one but it is the smaller 6 5/16 od clutch for a NA car with 4 spring hub, i will start a full thread on car once I get my replacement digital camera.(old one quit on me few days ago)

I should mention I'm not a stranger to the sprints I had a 1986 sprint plus auto years ago and my older brother had a brand new 1993 metro lsi convert. auto 3cyl

Attachments:
20079_100862263278071_100000628921498_21753_5942110_n.jpg [13.9 KIB]
Downloaded 419 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 pm 

The item number I gave you is for a 7.5 inch disc.
The price is $123.20.
Speaking from experience, if you want quality, that is the unit to buy.
It has the same specs as the one you first posted:
Quote:
1.3 metro- sachs k007701 $105.79 7.5" OD 3/4" by 18 splines

The later model Metro might have a bit more room inside the bell housing than the '87/'88 Sprint.
But if the previous owner switched to the later model transmission, you should probably be OK.
A quick photo under the hood, or maybe the serial numbers on the case would clear that air.
There are a few people who have posted clearance problems when they try to get that tranny back together, but maybe it won't apply to you.
Most of those threads lack any visual verifications to determine if they have the right tranny.

This site is no stranger to Sprints, turbo or otherwise.
You can see a bit of damage on ours here after hitting a pretty good size alligator

Those digital cameras can be tricky.
I've heard they quit for no apparent reason.
Now THAT would be something to get on the cheap.
I've never had one quit on me, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Good luck no matter what you buy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 pm 

yeah I went with $70 grip force kit, weird about the listing when I follow your link it says the item is the 6 5/16th one lol oh well will report what I find with the grip force kit.

yeah had the camera for short period and worked perfect, then one day it just shuts off randomly cant take pics etc (tried 3 different sets of new from pack batteries with no change) so replacement on way.