TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm 

Hi there,

I've been reading on here for a while. About 2 years ago I bought a 1998 Suzuki Swift 1.0 as my first car ever.

Swapped in the bucket-ish type seat, a stereo, changed fluids and went on my way.

Past few months I have had trouble with my transmission/clutch. It has now come to a point where I can hardly drive the vehicle anymore.

When the clutch is completely pressed, it is only possible to select a gear with violence. The gearbox crunches, but once in gear the car moves along nicely. If I select 1st gear, press the clutch and then turn on the engine, the rpm will be rough and about 800. The vehicle will try to move if no brake is applied. When I pull the gearstick to neutral the rpms go back up a bit over 1000 and idles more smoothly.

Is this a "simple" adjustment? I am no mechanic, but I'd like a heads up if maybe this is a quick fix, or if I have to get 2nd hand or new parts and have a mechanic do it for me - I'm not really too keen on swapping clutch or transmission by myself.

And yes, I did check for the floor mats to be behind the clutch pedal - its not.

I hope you can help me identify the problem as this little car has grown on me quiet a bit.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

it sounds like a simple adjustment. The cable has probably streched. On the clutch lever there is goin to be a nut with a half circle on the end. Turn it clockwise with a 14mm wrench. Make sure to watch the cable so it dont spin while your turning the nut.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:28 pm 

posting here motivated me to go have a look at it again. I found out how to adjust thd clutch cable and its a world of a difference. The nut was loose enough that i could simply use my hand to keep the cable from twisting. I used a 16 to turn the nut, probably 6-8full turns. Might have to turn it back a bit, think i felt slight slippage. Thanks for taking the time to reply, although my frustration grew too big to wait for an answer before having a go. I realize you are all spending time here voulentarily.

Cheers